PDA

View Full Version : X3 how do I make a smaller one?

Tom Bull
02-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I have an irregular shape and I want to make an exact duplicate that is 5/8 inch smaller to the inside. Is there a simple way to do that. I have spent last 45 min in help on x3, but if you don't know what it's called, it's hard to get help:(.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Carl Sewell
02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Contour Tool - Effects > Contour Tool or Ctrl-F9

Gary Hair
02-12-2010, 6:17 PM
You could also copy, paste and resize.

Gary

Tom Bull
02-13-2010, 1:16 AM
Gary, not quite tracking with you on that one. Resize like grabbing one of the corner boxes and click and drag? Or is there another resize I am not getting. If I click and drag it does not stay proportional like the contour tool does it.

Niklas Bjornestal
02-13-2010, 4:31 AM
Do you want it to be identical to the original? Then resize it (easiest using the % boxes next to the height/width boxes)
If you need it to be exactly 5/8" inside the original object use the contour tool. If you use the contour tool the object will not look the same.

Larry Bratton
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Tom, select the object. Enter Ctrl/D, move the duplicate so you can work with it. While still selected, see the box that shows the dimensions of the object, be sure the lock icon for proportion is closed. In the box, enter -5/8 after to the width dimension,(delete the " symbol) Enter. That should resize it 5/8" smaller and keep it proportional.

Gary Hair
02-13-2010, 5:29 PM
Gary, not quite tracking with you on that one. Resize like grabbing one of the corner boxes and click and drag? Or is there another resize I am not getting. If I click and drag it does not stay proportional like the contour tool does it.

I use the measurements or % instead of dragging. if you do drag then you can hold the shift key while dragging and it will be proportional. You can also hold the ctrl key and it will change size around the center of the object but not proportionally.

Gary