PDA

View Full Version : Bought My First Tree

Jonathan Harvey
02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm very excited. I bought my first tree last week. It's a big step for me as I've always got my wood for free but only bits and pieces here and there.

I've been eyeballing my neighbors bush as my wife and I walk the trails through his bush everyday. Anyways I finally got up the courage to ask if he would cut one down for me and drag it out with the tractor to my house. We settled on a price and he was more then happy to cut it and drag it to my house for me. I bought a very large Hard maple about 40ft straight grain before the first branch even started and maybe 60ft total length, absolutely perfect for what I was wanting to do with it.

This week alone I've roughed out 30 bowls. I have an easy core which helps pump out the bowls. I figure there is about 100-150 bowls in the tree and I hope to have them all cored by the end of the month.

I fear leaving the tree outside in the bitter cold winter will cause the tree to get a lot of cracks so I am working hard to get it all cored and in the shop.

My neighbor is more then happy to cut as many trees as I need as it is easier work for him then chopping wood so it works well for the both of us. :-)

Oh happy days. :D

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Wow congrats on the wood. Sounds like you are going to be busy cutting and turning a lot of wood.

Aaron Wingert
02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
A gloat without pictures??? Not fair. We want pictures. :D

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Congrats on getting a whole tree! That's not messing around!

I would think that as long as you seal the fresh cut end grain of the log - you won't have any problem with it checking. The tree was outside in the bitter winter weather before it found it's way to your house - just seal it and enjoy all the roughing out!

Look forward to the photos!

alex carey
02-12-2010, 12:42 AM
agreed, no pictures, it didn't happen. I'd especially like to see one of it being dragged by the tractor.

Richard Coers
02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Jonathan Harvey;1342023]I'm very excited. I bought my first tree last week. It's a big step for me as I've always got my wood for free but only bits and pieces here and there.

I've been eyeballing my neighbors bush as my wife and I walk the trails

:eek::eek:

Thems divorcin' words down in the the lower 48 !!!
Just couldn't help myself, sorry.

David E Keller
02-12-2010, 4:36 PM
Richard beat me to it... coveting your neighbors bush could be trouble.;)

Matt Ranum
02-12-2010, 6:12 PM
Congrats on the tree, sure would have been nice to see some it made into boards on the bottom.

:p But thats just my flat work side talking.:p

Gary Chester
02-12-2010, 7:35 PM
Yes! Pictures of the neighbors bush ERRRRRR no,no,no,no...:eek::D:eek::D

Joe Pierce
02-12-2010, 8:31 PM
I'm envious!! Enjoy your BUSH ummm! tree.

Donny Lawson
02-12-2010, 8:40 PM
Pictures please of the roughed out bowls and what's left of the tree.
Donny

Jonathan Harvey
02-12-2010, 9:21 PM
I don't think I'll be able to get pictures of the neighbors bush sorry guys ;-)

My shop is filling up fast. I have no idea where I will store 100-150 bowls to dry. I don't want to buy that many wire racks so I have them sitting upside down on all the edges of my work benches :-) Seems to work.

I'll post some pictures of my progress once all the bowls are roughed out.

Jonathan Harvey
02-12-2010, 9:28 PM
Congrats on getting a whole tree! That's not messing around!

I would think that as long as you seal the fresh cut end grain of the log - you won't have any problem with it checking. The tree was outside in the bitter winter weather before it found it's way to your house - just seal it and enjoy all the roughing out!

Look forward to the photos!

Steve I would have thought the same thing as you but it seems to not be the case. Every morning I go out to cut off another 18" length and there are already checks starting in the wood. Some quite large. :confused:

I have two coats of anchorseal on each end but it does not seem to matter. I wondered if a live standing tree never freezes completely....just a thought (I really have no idea) Then once the tree is cut down and the water in the tree freezes and expands then the wood checks. Like I said I have no idea all I know is that I am working fast to rough out all the bowls so that I don't lose many. Come to think of it if some of the crack I'll make art pieces instead :D

Jonathan