PDA

View Full Version : Bucket list builds.....

Kerry Lorts
02-11-2010, 9:43 PM
I was thinking today of a few projects that I want to accomplish sometime in my life. Just wondering if you all had your own bucket lists?

Here is three of mine-
-Maloof Style Rocker
-Guitar
-Surfboard

-Kerry

Mike Henderson
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Any client work that pays a lot of money.

Mike

paul cottingham
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
I was thinking today of a few projects that I want to accomplish sometime in my life. Just wondering if you all had your own bucket lists?

Here is three of mine-
-Maloof Style Rocker
-Guitar
-Surfboard

-Kerry

+1 on the rocker.
craftsman style sideboard
craftsman style coffee table

Aaron Berk
02-11-2010, 10:44 PM
From the ground up..... A house (mine of course)

Eric McCune
02-11-2010, 10:49 PM
1. Greene and Greene Gamble House dining room table (including leaves and custom cabinet to store the leaves). The most amazing piece of furniture I've ever seen.

2. Greene and Green light fixture over the dining room table.

http://dpg.lib.berkeley.edu/webdb/ggva/search?project=&client=gamble&doctype=objects&sort=project&pageno=2&id=GGUSC-Gamble-DA-047

Now, If I can just finish my detached garage shop conversion.

Larry Fox
02-11-2010, 10:51 PM
- Guitar
- Long-Board skateboard
- Large slab table
- Bunch of boxes on the list
- would like to do some segmented turnings that I see some people doing

Carroll Courtney
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Like you Maloof rocking chair is on the top.I'm working on it now along with others who are futher along than I am.Go to the Design forum and you will see the thread on Sam Maloof Roucking Chair,please get started and post some pics.Right now alittle over 200 plus post,so join in----Carroll
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141103&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1265570223 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141103&d=1265570223)

Brian Kent
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Maloof Style Dining Room Table and Chairs
Trim one bedroom in Arts and Crafts Style
Maloof Style Rocker (about half done)
A Newport Style Bureau like Mike Henderson built:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24365

Ron Bontz
02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Something my child will cherish and pass down with fond memories and others will admire. I just haven't figured out what that is yet.:)

Joe Shinall
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Ditto on the house. Finally decided on a house plan with the LOML and now just trying to sell mine so I can build.

2nd would be a baseball bat that doesn't crack after about 10 hits.

Russ Buddle
02-11-2010, 11:24 PM
I have always wanted to build a set of snowshoes. Cool bends, and rawhide lacing.

Richard Dragin
02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Something perfect.

Paul Steiner
02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Drum Sander
Custom Kitchen
Mahogany Runabount

Aaron Berk
02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I have always wanted to build a set of snowshoes. Cool bends, and rawhide lacing.

Russ, my Dad made some. Ticked mom off real good cause he soaked the wood in the only tub at the house for a few days. Made his own rawhide out of a deer skin he shot. Tanned it, stretched it, cut it, and all the jazz. Real cool set of shoes, don't know how well they worked, I was 10 at the time.

Van Huskey
02-12-2010, 12:44 AM
I have only one thing on my bucket list, I want to build something that I can not convince anyone that knows me that I actually built it.

Bret Duffin
02-12-2010, 1:29 AM
After reading the "bucket wish to build list" it occurred to me that as a career woodworker, I've built a lot of stuff that appears on the lists.

Done it:
-Sam Maloof inspired rocker after taking a two day seminar from the Man himself, child sized for my daughters who were smaller a the time.
-Big solid slab trestle dining table that my ex still enjoys.
- I'm living in the forth house I've built for my family from the ground up.
- Custom kitchens by the dozens.
-Dressers, desks, hutches, coffee tables, jewelry boxes, weird looking art things, barns, shops, gazebos, chicken coops, play sets, swing sets, toys, turned bowls, entertainment centers and lots of other stuff.

Still hoping to build someday:
- a wooden bridge
- a complete dining room set from wood I harvested and cut myself (I'm halfway there collecting the wood)
- A nice reproduction period piece (never done that)
- A lot of the stuff I've mentioned above but able to keep for myself
- As mention by another member, "anything for a paying customer"

Things I know I don't want to build again
- A boat
- Things for people with too many cats.
- Things for people with pet pigs allowed in the house
- Things for people who do not pay the bill

Aaron Berk
02-12-2010, 1:56 AM
After reading the "bucket wish to build list" it occurred to me that as a career woodworker, I've built a lot of stuff that appears on the lists.

Done it:
-Sam Maloof inspired rocker after taking a two day seminar from the Man himself, child sized for my daughters who were smaller a the time.
-Big solid slab trestle dining table that my ex still enjoys.
- I'm living in the forth house I've built for my family from the ground up.
- Custom kitchens by the dozens.
-Dressers, desks, hutches, coffee tables, jewelry boxes, weird looking art things, barns, shops, gazebos, chicken coops, play sets, swing sets, toys, turned bowls, entertainment centers and lots of other stuff.

Still hoping to build someday:
- a wooden bridge
- a complete dining room set from wood I harvested and cut myself (I'm halfway there collecting the wood)
- A nice reproduction period piece (never done that)
- A lot of the stuff I've mentioned above but able to keep for myself
- As mention by another member, "anything for a paying customer"

Things I know I don't want to build again
- A boat
- Things for people with too many cats.
- Things for people with pet pigs allowed in the house
- Things for people who do not pay the bill

Funny funny, and I'm dieing to know what went wrong with the pig and cat ppl.:D please do tell.

Bret Duffin
02-12-2010, 3:38 AM
In the immortal words of Dave Barry " I'm not making this stuff up it's all true".
The truth is, I never got far enough with the cat lady to actually do any work for her. I was responding to a request to remodel her kitchen but was nearly knocked to my knees and rendered blind by the acrid ammonia smell of cat pee when she opened the front door to welcome me (twenty nine Siamese).
I immediately began back peddling with all my might with a litany of very good excuses why I regrettably could not do her job. Her resolve to get me to do the work was equal to my task of getting the heck outta there. I had accidentally left my cell phone at home but somewhere in between exchanging volleys of persuasion, I pretended to get a phone call with my tape measure and of course it was an emergency and I had to leave immediately, whew! She probably tells her side of the story about the strange cabinetmaker that was talking to his tape measure held up to his ear.
The pig was small when I originally did the woodwork in this beautiful multi-million dollar home, but when I was called to see about replacing some base boards where the pig had rooted all the way through the sub-floor the pig had become no less than huge. I was polite and noticed that the pig still had free reign of the house, but was house broken so the smell was not an issue. But, once I realized that the pig had just eaten the laces right off my shoes, the tape measure phone came to the rescue again.
Bret ;-)

Jimmy Williams
02-12-2010, 9:00 AM
In no particular order, my bucket list would be:

Comb-back Windsor Armchair
Maloof style rocker
Arts and Crafts style lamp

Mitchell Andrus
02-12-2010, 9:13 AM
My two sons, strong, health and smart, now 19 and 23. Anything else if mere piffle by comparison.

Narrowing down to workshop stuff..... I've got my eye on a Greene & Greene piece - the Blacker House. Shouldn't take more than 10 years.

Prashun Patel
02-12-2010, 9:27 AM
Kitchen cabinets in walnut or cherry.
Another one of Mark Singer's pieces
Nakashima style slab dining room table and chairs.

Something that is truly my own 'style'. I realize every work is inspired from something else, but I'd like to eventually make something that's really unique to me, yet appreciated by others.

Mike Circo
02-12-2010, 9:45 AM
I guess everybody has a "bucket list".

A walnut grandfather clock with glass front, ornate movement, chimes and full arched hood. (the hood and cost of the works keep this on the list)

Arts and craft floor lamp with Mica or Tiffany style shade (Saw someone else with that on his list, cool that we think alike)

Filling my children's homes with furniture. (as soon as they move out and get homes!!)

One on the list that I am preparing to do is a Morris Chair. Only the cost of the leather cushions keep this from happening, but I'm ready to accept that expense for the joy of the chair.

m

Joe Cunningham
02-12-2010, 10:15 AM
For at least one furniture piece, I hope to go from tree to final product completely by hand. People in the past didn't normally do this, except for frontier folk (where ever the frontier was at the time), but for the experience of it, I think I'd enjoy that. Considering where I live, I'm guessing my options are red oak, red oak, and maybe ... red oak.

As far as furniture pieces:

-Big, intricate secretary, the kind you see on the inside pages of FWW. Again, no power tools except however the rough stock was cut.

-Newport block front desk

-Bombe chest

-Comb back windsor chair

Fun pieces:
- Classical guitar with a sitka spruce top and mahogany sides. Though I think I'd have to focus on guitar making for a while before getting to a playable product.

Walt Nicholson
02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Once the new shop was up and somewhat useable I was hit with "honey, now that you have your shop can you make this", "I'll bet Granpa could make one of those for you", etc. (alll of which I said yes to with a grin). However, the plans for some of the cabinets, DC routing, workbench, etc. somehow keep moving to the bottom of the list. Someday . . . . :D

Andrew Gibson
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Big Heavy solid wood bench and a shop to put it in. I want a bench at least 8' long.
I have a design for a TV stand kicking around in the back of my head that has curved drawer sides that should be tricky to Dovetail. I want to build that eventually.
I try to copy as little as possible, as long as I can continue to design my own projects I will be happy...
Sell pieces I designed... I think I'm getting there because friends more and more are coming to me when they want something nice.

Paul Murphy
02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Set of cherry dining chairs.

Rocking chair in a softened/modified Maloof style.

Walnut slant-front desk in updated shaker style with inset drawers and sliding dovetail dividers. I’m 2/3rds done with it! First made my list 17 years ago, but didn’t have the skill, tools, or the right wood. Collected the walnut and some tools along the way, and decided the skills would just have to rise to the occasion. I guess what I’m saying is that I’m glad I went ahead and started, even though many aspects of the task were new to me.

Brian Effinger
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
A segmented, woodturned urn - for when I do kick the bucket. :D

And, yes, I am serious.

Jon Endres
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
- Build dedicated garage-shop building.
- Build shop cabinets to suit.
- Router table.
- Assembly table/outfeed.
- Finish kitchen and bathroom cabinets (doors and drawer fronts...)
- Shaker-style tall hutch with glass panel doors
- Shaker-style pie safe
- King-size bed frame for master bedroom
- Bookshelves for library/den area
- Dining room table
- Cradles & cribs for someday future grandkids.
- Anything else my wife wants
- Probably help to build a house for at least one of my kids.
- Finish office desks and cabinets.

Robert Reece
02-12-2010, 1:43 PM
Jon - I'll help you with some time estimates, based roughly on when I might this get this stuff done. Looks like you better get busy.

- Build dedicated garage-shop building. 2014
- Build shop cabinets to suit. 2015
- Router table. late 2015
- Assembly table/outfeed. spring 2016
- Finish kitchen and bathroom cabinets (doors and drawer fronts...) 2018
- Shaker-style tall hutch with glass panel doors 2021
- Shaker-style pie safe 2024
- King-size bed frame for master bedroom (if not divorced at this point, 2027)
- Bookshelves for library/den area 2028
- Dining room table (w/ chairs?) 2032
- Cradles & cribs for someday future grandkids. 2036
- Anything else my wife wants (if still not divorced) 3014
- Probably help to build a house for at least one of my kids. 3020
- Finish office desks and cabinets. 3023