PDA

View Full Version : An other turning saw...

David Gendron
02-11-2010, 9:25 PM
Ok i know this is the third one in two days... but I have to show it or at least what I have so far! I still need to get the pins and blades from TFWW, they are it the mail...
Every thing other than the toggle is made of American Beech air dryed from the family lot back east. The toggle is Black Walnut. The frame and strecher are not yet oiled!
What is the best string material to use for tenssionin? I was thinking of syntetic siniou?!?
(and a picture of my 2 years old helper)

Jeff Wittrock
02-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Cool looking saw! Is it sized for coping saw blades?
For my tensioner, I used what I had laying around which I think was decron which is not very ascetic but pretty strong.

-Jeff

John Coloccia
02-11-2010, 9:59 PM
I use fishing line. If you do this, be careful. Much of the resistance you feel when tensioning regular line if just twisting the line itself. With fishing line, you will feel very little resistance when tensioning it, and it's easy to over tension. But I love my fishing line :)

David Gendron
02-12-2010, 2:02 AM
Thank you guys. Jeff, yes it is to be use with coping saw blades. John, I like the fishing line idea!

Jim Koepke
02-12-2010, 2:58 AM
Great looking saw.

Maybe some day your helper will be making her own saws.

jim

David Gendron
02-12-2010, 1:55 PM
I hoppe so!

Bob Glenn
02-12-2010, 4:25 PM
David, I have made one of these saws, however, I'm jealous of your design. I really like the treatment at the top of the staves. Also particularly interesting is what looks like the hand carved detail at the top of the toggle. The blade holders are really nice looking with the facets that fade to a rounded end.

Where did you get your inspiration? I'm inspired to make another one now!

David Gendron
02-12-2010, 6:26 PM
Thank you Bob. The design is prety much mine, but inspired by a lot of different saws I saw in a few place, Like the one that Jr. had posted on here a few time. As for the toggle, it is only live edge at the top, the wood look like it's from a burl or something like that! As for the handles/ blade holders, I wanted some thing that would sit nicely in the palm of my hand, I also like the feel and control of a faceted handle, plus I don't have a lathe, not yet...