PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr. Problems with Trend Router

Rick Potter
02-11-2010, 7:46 PM
My second Trend router just quit working. I got the first and returned it within a week because the switch didn't work right. When I recieved the second one I tested it out for a while, and it seemed to work OK, so I made a special fluting jig that only fits this router. Then it sat while we worked on the house for about 6 months.

Today was the day. about 20 sets of door casing, three flutes each. I made it through about half the boards doing the first flute. It's a small router, so I did them in two passes. Then the router started not wanting to turn on. Playing with the speed control would get it to come on again, but when I turned it off it quit altogether after a couple cycles.

This is a Trend T-3. A nifty sized plunge router for small cuts. There is nothing wrong with the motor, it's the switch...again.

Now I have to set up another router and do it with an edge guide, as I don't have time to build another fluting jig.

It's brand new, but out of warranty, so I guess I am outta luck. I will try calling Klingspor tomorrow though.

HEY...the good news. The Dust Deputy worked great. Separate post.

Rick Potter

David DeCristoforo
02-11-2010, 8:04 PM
Never owned a Trend router but I have a couple of those small DeWalt plungers and they are really nice. Light weight, easy to handle and the best thing is that they work!

Phil Thien
02-11-2010, 8:37 PM
Not to pile on, but what I didn't like about the trend was the sloppy plunging. They wobble quite a bit while plunging.

Jack Wilson
02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Is it possible to disassemble and repair/replace the switch?

Rick Potter
02-12-2010, 4:24 AM
Well, like I said, I will call Klingspoor and see if they might take pity on me. If not, I will hook up a toggle switch on that sucker.

David..What do you consider a small DeWalt plunger? I have a 621 that I just finished the casings with, and I like it a lot, but I would like to find something smaller that would suit me.

Rick Potter

Jamie Cowan
02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
I am also in the middle of Trend router problems. Bought the T4, and it broke the first time I used it. Something inside just broke off and is rattling around in there, and the VS control no longer works. Called Trend, said they are sending another out, and 10 days later I was still waiting for it. Called again, they lost it, and are sending another. They say I'll get it Monday. We'll see. I'm not that happy with Trend right now. Should have known better than to buy a brand without a history like Milwaukee or Porter Cable. I hate learning lessons the hard way.

Richard Dragin
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Should have known better .......

That's what happens when you just follow the trend.:D