PDA

View Full Version : Got some more wood!!

John Keeton
02-11-2010, 6:53 PM
Just received another shipment of wood from Mike Smith in North Carolina. This is the second purchase I have made from Mike, and I am just as pleased with this group as the last. The Big Leaf Maple burl that I used in the last HF came from Mike.

With this shipment, along with all of the other wood I have been given, and have accumulated, I should be good for awhile!!:D But, that won't keep me from looking for more!;) An addict can never get enough fix!!

The close up pics are the Claro Walnut, BE Elm and BE Sycamore -

John Keeton
02-11-2010, 6:54 PM
And, these are the Ambrosia Maple, Holly, and Coffee Tree crotch.

Tony De Masi
02-11-2010, 7:18 PM
Good grief we've created a monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony

Bob Haverstock
02-11-2010, 7:22 PM
John,

It looks like you are going to be in the chips. O.K.,, I won't say anything about shaving (singular or plural)

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2010, 7:27 PM
John,

How about some information about Mike...website...etc.

John Keeton
02-11-2010, 8:02 PM
I am having trouble with my internet connection tonite, so couldn't create a hotlink. But, this is the website http://www.easternncwoodworkers.com/I have called and emailed Mike, but I think calling him probably is better as his inventory changes daily. Lots of neat stuff, and some of it is pretty dry. All of it is well sealed, and well marked.The Claro, including the one left from the prior purchase, is all dry. I also got some more ambrosia, some spalted pecan and some chinaberry in the prior batch.

gary Zimmel
02-11-2010, 8:28 PM
Nice haul John.
Looks like we will be seeing some more pieces from the "Keeton Kitchen" real soon...:D

Steve Schlumpf
02-11-2010, 8:43 PM
Very impressive woods John! After your exceptional hollow form 'experience' - I can't wait to see what you will come up with next!

Bill Bolen
02-11-2010, 9:25 PM
Ummmm....I feel some art work post's in the not too distant future...Bill...

Donny Lawson
02-11-2010, 9:44 PM
I have never bought wood for turning other than some pen blanks so are those blanks dry or will they have to be roughed out and then dried?I notice they are all sealed well.
Donny

Baxter Smith
02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Quite the assortment! It is fun to try different woods.

Bernie Weishapl
02-11-2010, 11:51 PM
John congrats on some good looking wood. Should keep you out of trouble for at least a day or two.:D:D

John I talked with Mike and when I drive down this June I will visit my sister in NC. He told me he is about 1 1/2 hrs from her so I think I will jog a little out of my way and load up the wood hauler.:eek::D

John Keeton
02-12-2010, 8:31 AM
I have never bought wood for turning other than some pen blanks so are those blanks dry or will they have to be roughed out and then dried?I notice they are all sealed well.
DonnyDonny, some more than others. Mike has a pretty good idea how long he has had these shelved, and their state of dryness. I have used a meter on a couple of the blanks while turning to check the moisture. The claro blanks are cutoffs Mike gets from a dried source. I can usually get a good idea from the weight of a piece, though some of these species I have never worked with in my flatwork, so that isn't always reliable - thus, the meter!

John I talked with Mike and when I drive down this June I will visit my sister in NC. He told me he is about 1 1/2 hrs from her so I think I will jog a little out of my way and load up the wood hauler.:eek::DBernie, takes LOTS of $$$$$$. I have a feeling a road trip to Mike's would be extremely dangerous for me.

I am enjoying the various species of wood - expands the knowledge/experience level!

Rob Cunningham
02-12-2010, 9:12 AM
Lots of nice looking wood there John. I can't wait to see your next batch of turnings. You're making me jealous, I've got a flatwork job in the shop right now and don't have any time for turning.

MIKE E BEE
02-12-2010, 9:37 AM
Now your are just killing me John. You know I am suffering from withdrawels up here and you go and post this. If there was a a drooling smiley face it would be right here. Nice looking stuff. Looking forward to your next turn.

David E Keller
02-12-2010, 4:39 PM
Nice selection... If he sees some increased business from this site maybe you can parlay that into a discount!