PDA

View Full Version : Latest project in the shop

Fred Voorhees
02-11-2010, 6:24 PM
Got this started last Friday night and here is how it stands as of last night after taking the day off from work due to the massive amount of snow that was pending. A fellow co-worker asked what the latest is in the shop and he checks into this forum, so I told him about the coffee table and I said if he wanted to see some pictures, I would post them tonight.

This table is a bit higher than your normal coffee table. When done, it will stand 26 inches high at the table surface. Reason?......I do have one. My wife and I like to watch television when we eat. That means moving into the family room. The coffee table in there now is so low, that eating on it while sitting in front of the tv means that one must bend over to far to be over the plate that it is very uncomfortable. That caused me to actually sit on the floor and eat at the table. That put the tabletop at a height similar to if I were at the kitchen table. However, it has become very tough on the legs and back to do so. Thus the height.

I purchased a laptop computer for my wife for Christmas and I think I am going to be purchasing one for myself also within the near future. I will be designing both drawers in the table (his and hers I guess) to hold each of our computers. I am even going to construct some stands for the computers to sit on so they more resemble desktop computers with a slightly angled keyboard. The stands will be stored on a bottom shelf that hasn't been installed yet. The top will have a band of walnut around the perimeter and feature an inlay of walnut in the top. The bottom shelf will also have a walnut edging treatment.

Braun Reszler
02-11-2010, 6:32 PM
You are a machine Fred, alot accomplished since Friday. It looks sweet.

Bruce King
02-11-2010, 9:33 PM
very nice!
I see you and your wife have discovered the fine art of surfing the web while "watching" tv. TV is too boring without the interaction you get with PC's.

Are the legs glueups or did you buy thick wood?

Richard Dragin
02-11-2010, 9:52 PM
You built a really large two person TV tray! We do the same thing sometimes so I can appreciate your "coffee table".

Terry Hatfield
02-11-2010, 9:56 PM
Very , very cool, Fred! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Terry

Bob Carreiro
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Very nice, Fred.

Don Whitten
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Great job, will be interested in seeing pics of the finished unit.

Jim Becker
02-11-2010, 10:57 PM
That's coming along very nicely, Fred!

Mike Cruz
02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
I really like the idea, and it is looking great! Keep us posted on your progress...oh, it is probably done already...:D

Fred Voorhees
02-12-2010, 6:35 AM
very nice!
I see you and your wife have discovered the fine art of surfing the web while "watching" tv. TV is too boring without the interaction you get with PC's.

Are the legs glueups or did you buy thick wood?

Legs are glue ups. Didn't have thick enough stock

Fred Voorhees
02-12-2010, 6:36 AM
I really like the idea, and it is looking great! Keep us posted on your progress...oh, it is probably done already...:D

Apparently, the more snow we get, the faster this thing is going to get done.:D Actually, with the Daytona 500 this weekend, I will have less time in the shop.

Harold Shay
02-12-2010, 8:16 AM
Fred
Pray for more snow. this is sweet
Harold