PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 planer dust collection W/O dust collector

Scott Schwake
02-11-2010, 3:39 PM
For those of you without dust collectors, what are you using for chip/dust collection when using this planer?

Kyle Iwamoto
02-11-2010, 4:04 PM
Not a good idea to use any planer without a DC of some sort. There is a hose/hood available for the 735 since it has a really good chip fan. It has mixed reviews. The manual does say that a vacuum cleaner is not reccomended since the chip fan is pretty strong. Another alternative is to drag it outside and use it for a mulch spreader.

Wayne A Hall
02-11-2010, 4:19 PM
I have used a shop vacuum with mine. The internal fan outruns the shop vacuum motor though.

Chris Kehl
02-11-2010, 4:47 PM
I have used a shopvac with mine (had to make a hose coupler out of 100mph tape) it worked ok. But most of the time I just get out the broom when I'm done. :cool:

Dust collector is next on my list. As soon as Uncle Sam gives some of my money back, I'm headed to Harbor Freight to get the one with the coupon. :D

Myk Rian
02-11-2010, 4:55 PM
I have used a shopvac with mine (had to make a hose coupler out of 100mph tape) it worked ok. But most of the time I just get out the broom when I'm done. :cool:

Dust collector is next on my list. As soon as Uncle Sam gives some of my money back, I'm headed to Harbor Freight to get the one with the coupon. :D
Get yourself a bucket separator also. That planer will fill the DC in no time.

Anthony Scott
02-11-2010, 4:57 PM
In this review http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/dw735rvu.html, he hooks it up to a dust collector, but does not turn on the dust collector. The internal fan of the planer inflates the dust collector!

Igor Petrenko
02-11-2010, 5:40 PM
I use it with self made bucket separator without DC.
I've got that metal garbage can and in the lid I've made one 4" hole in the center and one off center. In one that is offcenter I've squeesed in 90 degree elbow and with flex duct connected to the planer. The middle hole is just open. Some fine dust escapes but 99% of things stays inside.

Derek Gilmer
02-11-2010, 5:53 PM
This actually worked decently for me: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Blower-Collection-BV-006/dp/B00004R9TJ

The hose fits the outlet on the 735. I only used it for a day or so until my DC was hooked up but it may work in the long term?

Jeff Monson
02-11-2010, 6:12 PM
Scott, dewalt actually makes a trash can lid adaptor as an acessory for the dw735, not sure if they are still available but I have seen them for sale in the past, no dc unit really needed with the planer as it has a very powerful fan.

Paul Ryan
02-11-2010, 6:15 PM
I know a couple of guys that just ran a 4" hose from the planer and into a trash can, thats it. One had a cover with a 4" hole for the hose in it and couple of small holes for ventilation. Not the best thing for the fine dust, but it keeps the shop floor clean.

Charlie Gummer
02-11-2010, 6:23 PM
I'm planning a Thein separator for use with mine. Woodcraft has a 25% sale on DC fittings and hose at the moment. This combo is said to work well.

Doug Hobkirk
02-11-2010, 7:40 PM
I use a 16 gallon Craftsman vac located in a shed on the side of the garage/workshop that connects to a 20 gallon can with a Thien separator and then a hose to a 4"-to-2.5" reducer attached to the planer. It works great.

Peter Quinn
02-11-2010, 9:08 PM
I used mine for a while with the DeWalt garbage can bag adapter, and its pretty effective. Just make sure the draw string is tight around the can's mouth or you get quite a shower of shavings. DAMHIK. I don't remember the cost, but I remember thinking it was worth it for job sites or shop use before the planer lived near the DC.

Fred Belknap
02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Before I got a DC I used a shopvac and it worked pretty well. Had t o remember to turn the vac on before the planer or it would blow the hose off. Don't take long to fill up the vac.
Fred

Shawn Christ
02-11-2010, 11:44 PM
I use a 16 gallon Craftsman shop vac with a CleanStream filter; works just fine for occasional use. I haven't found much of a difference with the vacuum on or off, works about the same.

If I remember correctly, I had trouble finding a coupler to connect the vac hose -- ended up using a dusting brush vac attachment with the bristle ring removed. It fits snug (with a hose clamp) and the 45-degree angle gets the hose out of the way of the outfeed table.

I don't have it, but the DeWalt chip collection accessory is 50 bucks at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7353-Collection-Accessory-Planer/dp/B0000CCXUC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1265947005&sr=8-4

Anthony Scott
02-12-2010, 9:58 AM
This actually worked decently for me: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-Blower-Collection-BV-006/dp/B00004R9TJ

The hose fits the outlet on the 735. I only used it for a day or so until my DC was hooked up but it may work in the long term?

That's probably the same thing as the Dewalt version.

Scott Schwake
02-12-2010, 8:39 PM
I was thinking about making a simple box that could be lined with a garbage bag, with a furnce filter on the top and a fitting to hook up a hose, just wondering if anyone else had tried something like that.

Myk Rian
02-12-2010, 9:34 PM
I was thinking about making a simple box that could be lined with a garbage bag, with a furnce filter on the top and a fitting to hook up a hose, just wondering if anyone else had tried something like that.
That ought to work.

Dave Pakrul
02-18-2010, 2:32 PM
I have the 735 and what I did was run a short length of 4" flex hose to a filter bag (pretty small micron size) and secured it with a hose clamp. The micron size is big enough to let air through, but does a great job of trapping the really fine dust. A cheap solution and has kept my shop dust free!

Rick Moyer
02-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Scott, dewalt actually makes a trash can lid adaptor as an acessory for the dw735, not sure if they are still available but I have seen them for sale in the past, no dc unit really needed with the planer as it has a very powerful fan.

Scott, I have one of these (I think) that I no longer use. If I can find it and you'd like it, you may have it. PM me if interested.

Gus Francesco
02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I have the 735 and I'm always amazed how powerful the fan is. I covered my neighbor's car the other day!

Gus Francesco
02-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Great idea! Please keep us posted on how it works.

keith micinski
02-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Here is what I made and it only cost me 21 dollars. I ended up mounting the can underneath the stand so now I can just wheel it out whenever I need to use the planer and just plug it in.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131675

Tom Adger
02-19-2010, 8:54 AM
I use a 20 gal Craftsman shopvac on my Delta planer and Ridgid jointer. I got tired of the filter clogging up quickly, so I got a Clearvue mini cyclone. Its one of the best investments I ever made. The vac stays clean. You can't buy the Clearvue mini now(unfortunately), but you can get the Oneida Dust Deputy. A cyclone is the way to go.

Phil Thien
02-19-2010, 9:52 AM
I use a 20 gal Craftsman shopvac on my Delta planer and Ridgid jointer. I got tired of the filter clogging up quickly, so I got a Clearvue mini cyclone. Its one of the best investments I ever made. The vac stays clean. You can't buy the Clearvue mini now(unfortunately), but you can get the Oneida Dust Deputy. A cyclone is the way to go.

A least two (I think three) people have contacted me about my baffle and said they only tried it because the small cyclone they tried had a tendency to clog with the volume of shavings coming from a planer. My separator design can handle a planer no problem.

No disrespect to the mini cyclones, just thought I'd mention it in case someone down to their last $50 or $100 sees a mini cyclone as a solution.

Scott Schwake
02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Scott, I have one of these (I think) that I no longer use. If I can find it and you'd like it, you may have it. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the generous offer Rick, I'd love to try it if you can find it, PM sent.

Scott

Scott Schwake
02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I have the 735 and what I did was run a short length of 4" flex hose to a filter bag (pretty small micron size) and secured it with a hose clamp. The micron size is big enough to let air through, but does a great job of trapping the really fine dust. A cheap solution and has kept my shop dust free!

Hi Dave, can you expand on what your filter bag is?

Thanks

Rick Moyer
02-20-2010, 2:28 PM
Thanks for the generous offer Rick, I'd love to try it if you can find it, PM sent.

Scott

found it. PM sent.

Anthony Scott
02-20-2010, 4:57 PM

Scott

Let us know how it works. Does it have a 4" port?
Thanks

Timothy Goebel
05-08-2022, 5:30 PM
For those of you without dust collectors, what are you using for chip/dust collection when using this planer?

This setup combines a cyclone separator with a shop vacuum filter. It’s been a life saver for me!

https://www.timberthingswoodwork.com/post/diy-dust-collection-for-dewalt-735-planer

Robert Hayward
05-08-2022, 5:38 PM
Do you know this thread is over 12 years old?

Timothy Goebel
05-09-2022, 4:14 PM
Do you know this thread is over 12 years old?

Dust collection: the eternal problem!

Jim Braun
05-09-2022, 4:19 PM
Dust collection: the eternal problem!
New solution to eternal problem, I like what you have done.

barry bortnick
05-09-2022, 11:39 PM
I used a flexible coupling to easily couple the DW exhaust with a shopvac hose. They come in many sizes from your favorite plumbing supply store.479017

Timothy Goebel
05-10-2022, 5:27 PM
This setup combines a cyclone separator with a shop vacuum filter. It’s been a life saver for me!

https://www.timberthingswoodwork.com/post/diy-dust-collection-for-dewalt-735-planer

I'm sorry, I am new to the forum. Finally figured out how to post a picture of my dust collection setup I was referencing earlier for ya'll

John Kananis
05-10-2022, 5:51 PM
The reducer at the cyclone is a terrible bottleneck. Also, reduce the run of hose.

Patrick Varley
05-10-2022, 8:44 PM
I'm sorry, I am new to the forum. Finally figured out how to post a picture of my dust collection setup I was referencing earlier for ya'll

If I'm looking at this correctly, you are using the blower on the 735 and don't have a separate DC attached. If so, the cyclone is only there for looks. You'd be better off just putting a 4" inlet on the barrel and omitting the cyclone. It would eliminate the reducer bottleneck and let you use the cyclone for something else. You will still need to connect the filter on a separate outlet to allow exhaust.

Timothy Goebel
05-12-2022, 2:21 PM
If I'm looking at this correctly, you are using the blower on the 735 and don't have a separate DC attached. If so, the cyclone is only there for looks. You'd be better off just putting a 4" inlet on the barrel and omitting the cyclone. It would eliminate the reducer bottleneck and let you use the cyclone for something else. You will still need to connect the filter on a separate outlet to allow exhaust.

I thought the exact same thing: Don't need a cyclone separator if there is no "pull" from a DC or vac. I had the a filter sitting on top of the bin and ran it sans-cyclone for less than 10 minutes until the filter filled up with dust and chips and shot straight off. Quite a surprise, but was fun to see the dust chips falling back down like snow.

Patrick Varley
05-12-2022, 3:28 PM
I thought the exact same thing: Don't need a cyclone separator if there is no "pull" from a DC or vac. I had the a filter sitting on top of the bin and ran it sans-cyclone for less than 10 minutes until the filter filled up with dust and chips and shot straight off. Quite a surprise, but was fun to see the dust chips falling back down like snow.

I suspect it would have also been fixed if the inlet to the top had a 90 elbow inside the container so that the dust/air is not blowing "down" directly into the bottom. The blower itself was kicking the dust up into the outlet.