PDA

View Full Version : OT - PC care and Feeding..

Bill Pentz
03-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Since I am probably the longest tenured PC hacker here... built my first in '72 - 8008, I suppose I should know a little 'bout this technology. One of the members here was fishing around and found this PC Info (http://cnets.net/~eclectic/pcs/index.html) page and sent me an email asking why I never shared.

Was not quite sure what to say as I know that page has been there getting a rare update since at least '97.

Regardless, you might want to look it over for some of the stuff you already know and my slant on the same. After years of baby-sitting 13,000 PCs and 800 servers (or at least my staff did the work) a few things learned. Not all shared for sure..

I did put a little new stuff on Spyware and Ghosting today..

enjoy..

bill

Halsey MCCombs
03-31-2003, 5:56 AM
Thanks Bill,alot of great info.Halsey:)

Bill Pentz
03-31-2003, 2:01 PM
Halsey - you are most welcome..

bill

John Miliunas
03-31-2003, 9:32 PM
Is there no end to your talents and expertise? Sheeeesh! And all this time I kinda' figured you for a "dust buster"! Soccer coach. PC guru. Woodworker. Anything else we should know about? Hey, seriously, thanks much for sharing. I'm in the IT industry myself and there's so, so very much to try and keep abreast with, it's overwhelming. Trying to stay on top of all that stuff is more than any single person can do and any pointers, tips or hints is appreciated by many, myself inclusive. With all the hackers out there today, as well as the cut-throat practices by equipment OEM's (leading to system failures), I'm constantly preaching to my clients to backup, use AV software, keep the AV definition files updated, do the AdAware or SpyBot thing and, after they're sure they've done all that, do another backup! With most modern rigs having CDRW's on them and the media being dirt cheap, there's really no more excuses to not backup. Thanks again! AND, hope your health is shaping up! :cool:

Bill Pentz
04-01-2003, 1:40 AM
Thanks John!

Nothing more important here.. jack of all trades.. master of none.. Let's see at one time I did a little math, played some football, have been a licensed pilot since age 14, tail gunner in Vietnam, few engineering degrees, had a number of successful businesses that I ran far better than my personal life, done a little inventing, dozen or so published books, a few fiction under a pen name way back and the rest technical and text for government and private firms. Hold top secret clearance, Air marshal instructor, used to be marshal arts master in a few different areas, a little biomedical research here and there mostly in oriental healing arts. Currently mostly a dad and soccer coach for my son, and unending sourse of money for a teen daughter..

Health could be better for sure.. but like my mom says, "Don't ask and I won't have to tell.."

*smile*

bill

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks for you articles and help.
I downloaded SpyBot and started getting rid of the SPAM emails this morning.:cool: