PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Question/Help

James Farrow
10-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Dust Collection Question/Help

O.K. Another novice brain storm. LOL!

First I will describe how I want to set up my lathe (Jet 1014 Mini).

I have a small spare room in my apartment. It is not large and space is limited.

I was planning on having the Jet inside a plywood spray booth I built a while back.

It's 24" deep x 24" high x 48" wide. It has a built-in range hood with venting fan and light. Attached to the top is about 6 feet of aluminium ducting.
And the booth sits on a wooden stand that has storage spaces, etc...
When I used it for a spray booth I would just place the end of the ducting in the window to vent the fumes.

Now I can't really do that for dust as the dust will get all over everything outside. There is a parking lot below the window. Paint fumes would dissapate whereas dust will settle, I gather. And we don't want to upset the neighbours, or the landlord.

So, I was planning on attaching a "filter bag" to the end of the ducting to collect the dust. Then just empty the bag once in a while.

So, is this a crazy idea or should it work O.K.?

I know it’s not as good as a commercial dust collector, and won't work perfectly, but I just don't have the room for one of those.

All opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

James :)

Richard Allen
10-26-2004, 12:56 PM
I doubt the vent fan will pull enough CFM to move the heaver dust (maybe tha's a good thing) The bag should be LARGE so there is a LOT of surface area. The more surface area the better the "system" will be at removing dust. And the bag material should be able to filter find dust. A 1 micron rateing would be good. If you sew you can buy the filter material and make a nice bag. If dust seams to migrate to other parts of the appartment then you might need a bigger fan or a larger bag.

Good luck.

James Farrow
10-26-2004, 1:25 PM
Thanks!

I was going with the 1 micron bag. I am only really concerned with the floating dust. That's what gets all over. The heavier stuff I can sweep or vacuum.

Will check around for a large bag and hose clamp.

Gary Max
10-26-2004, 3:03 PM
James to prove Richards point.
Turn on the fan and throw a handful of dust at your lathe.
I think you will find he is correct---the fan aint going to do it.
I saw a set up that kinda works----small fan on left top corner of your box---shop vac lower left back corner----fan blows dust down vac gets most of the mess.
The thing I liked about it----the fine dust gets blown away from you.

Just a thought

Steven Wilson
10-26-2004, 3:58 PM
You probably do have room for a small commercial DC. Try a Jet DC650C (canister model). It will collect dust from a lathe and is fairly small and not too loud.

James Farrow
10-26-2004, 4:47 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Will check out that Jet.