PDA

View Full Version : Power miter saw necessary?

Joshua Simulcik
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
First post - hi all.

I'm putting together my first shop since moving away from family who had every tool I could ever need. My question is, is a miter saw a necessity right away, or can adequate cross-cuts be done on other, more important to get early machines?

My intention is to mostly build furniture and cabinetry, but I do have to frame a few interior walls in the basement in the next few months. I know a CMS or SCMS would make the framing much faster, but will I use it much once that one job is done?

Thanks.

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
My experience - TS + CMS were first 2 machines. Wouldn't do without it. I have the Bies table/stop system on it, which I keep calibrated. Instantly get an accurate 34-13/16" (or whatever) cut. Can cut 6 of the same thing and get the dead-nuts same length on all. I use it all the time for all kinds of odd-ball items, not just stiles + rails.

Could do nearly everything on the TS, of course, (except breaking down/defect cutting 8' - 14' rough lumber) with a top-notch miter sled, but I really like the CMS setup.

$00.02

David Prince
02-11-2010, 12:18 PM
I would rank the miter saw with the top 5 tools for a shop. Do you need one, maybe not. There are other tools that will do the job. A miter saw does have its place, though. If money is a concern, buy a super cheap one and if you see that it has a place in your shop, invest in a better one later.

I bought a cheap $99 craftsman as an extra just to tote around because it was #1 cheap, #2 lightweight, #3 accurate enough for quick and dirty cuts.

There are other cheaper ones out there.

Philip Rodriquez
02-11-2010, 2:26 PM
They are really nice to have. However, most cuts can be done with a CS or the TS. With that said, I would replace mine if it died.;)

If $$$$ is limited, try doing without one and buy on when you need it. A good TS, jointer, and planer are better investments.

Dave Cav
02-11-2010, 2:50 PM
Get a cheap CS or CMS on Craigslist for your framing. When you're finished with that, sell it and never look back. A good table saw can do anything you need to do, and if you really think you need to crosscut or miter longer stock, get a GOOD radial arm saw. A 50s DeWalt, a Delta 12" turret, or an Original Saw.

Van Huskey
02-11-2010, 2:58 PM
You can definately get by without a MS, the TS will do everything that it will provided you have the appropriate jigs. That said I have three and a RAS and use them all.

Rod Sheridan
02-11-2010, 3:02 PM
Since I don't have one, I'd have to say that you don't need a mitre saw.

Of course I don't own a router either so maybe I'm weird.:D

Regards, Rod.

John Harden
02-11-2010, 3:03 PM
I've had one for as long as I can remember. They are more convenient for rough crosscutting of long boards to approximate length than is a table saw.

Having said that, mine has been unplugged against a back wall for nearly 5 months now since I've had a sliding table saw. No longer need it.

You can crosscut extremely accurately on a traditional contractors/cabineet saw with a sled. I always preferred this for final cuts to length over my mitre saw.

A mitre saw makes these crosscuts very quickly and easily, which is why many, if not most people like having them around.

Nevertheless, you don't NEED it.

One caveat to that is if you anticipate doing a lot of molding, like crown molding in your house. A mitre saw makes installation easy. This would not be easy at all with a table saw.

Regards,

John

Randal Stevenson
02-11-2010, 3:13 PM
Framing your basement can easily be done with a circular saw and speed square. If I read you right, your backwards on your thinking. The CMS, or SCMS comes in handy with the furniture (cutting long items) and crown molding projects, more so then the framing.

Now it is handy in framing, with either a bench, or miter stand, as you can set up stops for repeated length cutting. Also for woodworking, you will want a better blade, keep the original for the framing/construction work.

Von Bickley
02-11-2010, 3:34 PM
Joshua,
You can certainly get by with out one. You might want to invest in a good miter gauge or build a good cross-cut sled for your table saw.

I recently bought a good miter gauge (Incra 1000HD - $120) and my Hitachi CMS was $100.00 on sale at Lowe's. Go figure.

My most used tools in my shop are the TS, the miter saw, and the routers and router table. Just depends on what type of work you will be doing.

Stephen Edwards
02-11-2010, 3:44 PM
I have one but rarely use it. The exception is for job site installs. I'd miss mine for that purpose. In the shop the only thing that I use it for is rough cutting to length. Even for that purpose I use it rarely in the shop.

Van Huskey
02-11-2010, 3:46 PM
Since I don't have one, I'd have to say that you don't need a mitre saw.

Of course I don't own a router either so maybe I'm weird.:D

Regards, Rod.

I think I have read you have a shaper so that explains some of it but still no router???? With most woodworkers it is not which router do you have but how many! I wouldn't say weird, but I would say different... given I think the router is the most versatile tool in a woodworking shop.

Stephen Edwards
02-11-2010, 4:02 PM
I think I have read you have a shaper so that explains some of it but still no router???? With most woodworkers it is not which router do you have but how many! I wouldn't say weird, but I would say different... given I think the router is the most versatile tool in a woodworking shop.

Ditto. I'd feel lost without my routers. I think that different is the right word. Rod is a very accomplished woodworker and very knowledgeable. He just takes a different approach than many of us. Nothing wrong with that, though. Still, I wouldn't know what to do without routers, both hand held and table mounted.

The CMS is another story. I wouldn't miss it too much in the shop.

Norman Pyles
02-11-2010, 7:46 PM
Don't use a miter saw in my shop.

Ben Franz
02-11-2010, 8:03 PM
I've done a lot of framing and never found a MS - CMS - SCMS to be of much help. Even a sturdy stand or cart is vulnerable to the abuse of heavy dimensional lumber landing on it repeatedly. Also, it involves moving the stock twice - we always cut on the lumber stack then one move to place the cut piece. A SCMS is essential for trim work and almost essential in the shop for accurate, repetitive cross cuts. Well worth the cost IMO.

Andrew Nemeth
02-11-2010, 8:09 PM
A miter saw is not essential in most shops. I don't have one in my shop right now. I use one on a jobsite for finish trim all the time but I have always felt more comfortable doing my furniture grade crosscuts on a tablesaw with a good sled. If I have really long rough stock I break it down with a circular saw and speedsquare before squaring the stock. If you are on a tight budget or are tight for space, I would put the money into your table saw and other tools that do not overlap in function.

That being said, I would like to buy a sliding compound miter saw soon and build a dedicated cut bench in my new shop since I will have a lot more room but it is a convenience not a necessity.