PDA

View Full Version : A Skateboard or a Torsion box that is the question

Bart Leetch
10-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Well here it is a box 24" x 88 1/2"

Sectioned at about 5" X 11". The webbing is 2 1/2" tall 3/4" plywood half lap notched everything glued & stapled. Came out nice & flat. :)

I told the LOML I had the biggest skateboard in the world. But I don't think it would be controllably.

Todd Burch
10-26-2004, 11:28 AM
So Bart, what are you going to use it for? Todd

Bart Leetch
10-26-2004, 11:34 AM

I am in the process of building a 7 ½’ long cabinet for my 12” CMS. I’ll also have my Shopfox Mortiser on the top on a piece of plywood with Formica on the bottom to make is slide easier & a guide bar that will fit in a groove in the top on the front edge will be a part of the fence when the Mortiser is pushed to the back of the table.

Inside the cabinet behind a door on a shallow drawer on heavy duty full extension glides on the left end will be my portable planer. In the right end will be my Jet Spindle sander mounted the same way covered with a door. In the middle will be 2 banks of drawers for mechanical tools. Can you say heavy? :eek:

Scott Parks
10-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I thought he said he was going to show up the kids at the local skate park!:D

Great idea!. My 7' rolling Table saw station bowed over time to the point that the tables were no longer level. Had to shorten it by half and put the stock cast table back on... Should have done it your way, I bet it is a lot stiffer.

Jim Fancher
10-26-2004, 1:37 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to get started on my TS cabinet. Keep us posted with pics!

Jamie Buxton
10-26-2004, 1:51 PM
Bart --
So now you have this vary flat, very rigid, thing which you roll around your garage. If your garage floor is like most, it isn't flat, so the torsion box teeters around on three wheels most of the time. I'm thinking you're going to need a wedge-shaped thing to shove under one wheel to prevent rocking. The nice thing about the wedge is that it is easily adjustable. You place the bench where you want it, and kick the wedge under the high wheel until the bench no longer rocks.

Jamie

Bart Leetch
10-26-2004, 2:21 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie Buxton]Bart --
So now you have this vary flat, very rigid, thing which you roll around your garage.

This won't be rolling very far Jamie. It will set in one place. But when I move to a new bigger shop it will be easier to move & for now it will hold the tools that I have on stand at the north end of my shop behind the table-saw & make more room in my tiny 13'5" x 24'5" shop.

Cutting the plywood for this required moving all those tools to be able to get back far enough to rip an 8' sheet. :)

Chris Padilla
10-26-2004, 2:27 PM
Bart,

I'm sure you've read the various torsion box threads in the design section but here is what I did for leveling.

I don't know if you plan wheels or not but if you do:

I made these bench-levelers with some 8" 1/2" eyebolts using t-nuts embedded into a plywood-hardwood (oak)-plywood sandwhich that is shaped like an L. They are then screwed to the bench using the long side of the L. Hopefully you've filled in some of your 5" x 11" cavities with material that a screw or lag bolt can bite into.

If you aren't planning wheels, then just make yourself a 2x4 toe-kick leveled out nicely.

markus shaffer
10-26-2004, 3:01 PM
Bart,

you've got some competition on the skateboard thing...

http://www.worldsbiggestskateboard.com/

-markus

Jamie Buxton
10-26-2004, 3:38 PM
Bart,

you've got some competition on the skateboard thing...

http://www.worldsbiggestskateboard.com/

-markus

Markus --

That is a big skateboard, but somehow I'm surprised that it is the world's biggest. I was kinda expecting one which is the length of an eighteen-wheeler. It wouldn't be difficult to build, so maybe competing groups out there will arise.

Jamie