PDA

View Full Version : poplar finish

Jake Helmboldt
02-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I turned a poplar crotch bowl that has some nice figure, but the color of the wood, especially around the feathered figure is varied with a grayish cast and some almost black streaking (perhaps mineral streaking?) so I'm trying to figure out how to finish this piece. I put a coat of BLO on to see what it looks like and it just makes the dark area look a bit muddy.

I'm thinking about using Transtint dyes, perhaps a red or brown, but I have no idea how it will look once a finish is on it. I've also thought amber shellac might be good, but I'm just not sure.

Any input on dealing with Poplar with these issues would be appreciated.

Jake

Scott Holmes
02-11-2010, 1:27 AM
Transtint dye after BLO is not going to make anything but a mess.

The poplar will darken with age.

Jake Helmboldt
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I wasn't accurate in describing that. The BLO was done in a test spot to see what color it would impart which is what got me to thinking about dyes (I didn't like the color with the BLO).

If I used a dye I planned on finishing with Waterlox original.

Greg Smith2
02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I have had some success with the transtint dyes over poplar. Attached is a photo of a chest made of birch and poplar with transtint dye (sprayed in denatured alcohol) and then topped with lacquer also tinted with transtint. Obviously, the darker the color the more forgiving it is but you also lose the figure of the wood.

Jim Becker
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Dyed poplar is, well...popular...with a number of turners "out there". Once they dye, they tend to to the high-gloss route for the film finish they apply.