PDA

View Full Version : Which pen kits write the best?

hugh lonner
02-10-2010, 9:56 PM
I'm newly applying my lathe to pen kits and only intend to turn 5-10, and am amazed at how easy it is to turn out stunning pens at moderate cost relative to other woodworking projects, but one thing I hadn't seen discussed was which are the best writing pens (fountain and/or rollerball).

I wonder, for example are any of them compatible with Mont Blanc rollerball refills? I've never owned a Mont Blanc, so I'm just assuming they are a joy to write with, but I'm convinced a pen I make can look as nice to me, but the other real gauge of a pen is obviously is how it writes. Since Mont Blanc refills are only $10-20, it seems like you could have the ultimate pen (or at least good enough for me) by turning something stunning and swapping out the refill.

Any advice is welcome!

David E Keller
02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
You are correct in your plan to swap out refills... I've not been impressed with anything but the price of Mont Blanc pens. There are several fairly standard refill styles that fit a multitude of kits. Multiple manufacturers make refills in each style. What "writes well" is a matter of personal preference(ie. fine point vs. medium, ink vs.gel, etc).

I personally carry a cigar pen or an elegant sierra most of the time. Both of those kits carry Parker style refills. I get my refills at staples, and I find them a joy to use. Find a refill that you like, and you can probably find several kits that use that particular refill.

Steve Kubien
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
The metal-tubed Schmidt refill which comes in the Majestic kit is the best rollerball refill I have used.

Chris Stolicky
02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
The Schmidt roller ball refills are pretty good. They come with the CSUSA roller ball kits. Apparently, some PSI kits, too.

The Hauser refills that come with the Barons and Sedonas are not nearly as nice.

As far as fountain pens, that is a whole other world with very diverse opinions.

Jamie Oren
02-11-2010, 1:43 PM
"THE STRETCH" (https://www.laulauwood.net/./node/134) kit from https://www.laulauwood.net/./catalog/12 is my favorit. it writes smooth and shows off alot of the wood.
:)

Barry Elder
02-11-2010, 6:53 PM
Most of the German and Swiss refills write fine. The Chinese refills are "you get what you pay for"!

Jim McFarland
02-11-2010, 7:27 PM
My favorite refills:

Rollerball: Fine point Schmidt 5888

http://exoticblanks.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=587&category_id=29&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60

Parker-style refills: Schmidt Super Bowl 8900 (capless rollerball)

http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_51&products_id=231

The EasyFlow 9000 "Parker" style refills at Exotic Blanks are also very smooth writing.

Haven't found a Cross-style I really like but the Fisher space pen refills are ok but pricey (more than slim kits in some cases!).

Mark Inmon
12-13-2020, 7:38 PM
Does Schmidt have a refill for the slimline pens? Would a Parker refill be the only or best option for slimline refills?

Scott Winners
12-13-2020, 9:03 PM
I like Parker rollerballs. Fountain pens are complicated, just the right weight, just the right balance, and then the nib... so many choices.

David Walser
12-13-2020, 9:50 PM
Mark — All the slimline kits I’m aware of take Cross style refills. I don’t know if Schmidt makes a Cross style refill.

You could always use a genuine Cross refill. They write well, but I believe the Cross style mechanism lets the refill down. The Cross mechanism is very “positive”. That is, there is no “give” when you put pen to paper. Some like that feel. I prefer the slight give of a Parker style mechanism. That ‘give’ feels (to me) luxurious and allows more expressive flair in penmanship. Obviously, that’s a matter of personal preference. However, I believe most are attracted to the Cross style mechanism for the slim, elegant design it allows, not the feel of the pen.