PDA

View Full Version : Picture frame clamps

Brian Loucks
02-10-2010, 8:49 PM
I have to build a couple picture frames for a good friend, not my favorite way to spend my woodworking time. I was thinking of buying a clamping system to make the project go a bit quicker. As a start I checked out a couple in the $30 dollar range on Rockler and some other sites. Does anyone have a favorite system. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but quality is important also. I will probably be building the frames out of walnut.
Thanks, Brian

trevor adair
02-10-2010, 9:27 PM
I have a Bessey strap clamp that I have used several times for picture frames, very happy with it. Picked it up at Lowes a year or so ago so I don't remember what I paid exactly but around $30 sounds right.

Jim Tobias
02-10-2010, 9:59 PM
+1 on the Bessey Strap clamp. I use them all the time on frames.

Jim

Joe Scharle
02-10-2010, 11:11 PM
I use Merle band clamps. The band is steel.

Steve Kohn
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I have 2 sets of corner clamps. They almost never get used anymore since I have acquired a band clamp.

IMHO band clamps are the way to do picture frames.

Jerome Hanby
02-10-2010, 11:27 PM
I've got the ~$30 clamp from Woodcraft (can't find the link, but same thing from Rockler (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DT5LH4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0018M7GR4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06CSFDWA90R5WPPM30NF)), basically some corner pieces tied together with all thread. It works, but nothing in the system guarantees even tightening all the way around. I think those that tighten from the middle like this one (http://www.coastaltool.com/clamps_vises/adjustable/clampmate.htm) might work better. Good band clamps are useful for all kinds of things. Maybe the old adage that you can't have too many clamps applies and you need one of each:D.

Glen Butler
02-11-2010, 2:02 AM
I have one of the type pictured immediately above. I removed the screw and use a quick grip in place. Works well and fast. I used to put picture frames together and I could clamp a few dozen per hour with that clamp.

Vic Damone
02-11-2010, 4:50 AM
I've tried most of what has been mentioned above. Some are OK for small frames but their setup can be time consuming as well as messy from the glue squeeze out. This steel band clamp is my favorite. It's quick to set up and if your miters are accurate the frame will square up with the equal pressure a band provides. When rewound they take up very little space compare to jigs, bar and corner clamps.

Frame Co provides great service and all there tools are of good quality.

http://www.clubframeco.com/store/cat_list.php?catId=213

These come in different sizes.

Rick Lizek
02-11-2010, 6:51 AM
Have used every method over the last 35 years. The Merle from MLCS is the most versatile and best money spent. Try it... you will like it!

Brian Loucks
02-11-2010, 8:04 AM
Thanks to all, Sounds like the band clamp wins round one. Didn't even give it a thought. Maybe I'll go with both and do comparison test. I only have to build 2 or 3 frames, but the last time I had to build one frame it turned into 12 overnight.
Thanks as always,Brian

Dan Bowman
02-11-2010, 8:44 AM
Merle clamp, hands down

Brian Loucks
02-12-2010, 6:34 AM
Merle clamp and a couple new routerbits on the way.
Just the mention of picture frames to my son, (who has a mat cutter,) and it looks like I will be clearing the bench and starting up a framing shop:(
Thanks again, Brian