PDA

View Full Version : Cheat the "Max Depth" Z-Stroke on a ULS?

Scott Balboa
02-10-2010, 8:28 PM
Anyone know of a somewhat safe, easy way to "cheat" the laser into buying me an extra 1/4" of focus depth? I have a job for something that is 4" and my ULS will only focus to about 3-5/8" or so. It is glass so as you all know if the focus is off by more than a 1/16" or so, the engraving looks awful. I tried putting in the Rotary and NOT checking the Enable Rotary box when sending the job, but the Laser is smarter than that and gives an error message upon hitting Start. I know there are more complicated methods to cheat Z-Stroke, like a dummy/removed table plug, but we are not looking to get too crazy or risky with the Laser, even though I know any cheating of the Z-Stroke is forbidden by the manufacturer. ;)

Any tricks/tips someone can share? :D

Mike Null
02-11-2010, 5:07 AM
Can you use a longer lens? I assue you're using a 2"; they're available in 2.5" and 4".

edit
See correct info below.

Lee DeRaud
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Can you use a longer lens? I assue you're using a 2"; they're available in 2.5" and 4".Actually, what he needs is a shorter lens...do they have a 1.5"?

Lee DeRaud
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
How big is the item? If it will fit in the "trough" left when the table is removed, you can just use the manual focus to dial it in, give you an extra inch or so.

(I'm assuming you have a VL, at least that's what it sounds like.)

Mike Mackenzie
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
They do make a 1.5 inch lens and that would be the only way to do it.

Niklas Bjornestal
02-11-2010, 3:51 PM
It's easy, just take a side grinder and make a big hole in the bottom of the table ;)

Scott Balboa
02-11-2010, 3:52 PM
Lee,

Yes, it is a VersaLaser (ULS). As far as I know the laser won't engrave without the table in place (which is why each table has a plug - to tell the laser it's okay to burn away)...

I'm aware a 1.5" lens would buy me .5" of space - I guess I was curious if there is a way around buying anything (like Lee's recommendation to take out the table and place it in the trough). Pretty sure it won't let me laser anything without the table in place.

We told the client to buy something smaller, and they did without hesitation, so it's not an issue now.

Lee DeRaud
02-11-2010, 5:25 PM
As far as I know the laser won't engrave without the table in place (which is why each table has a plug - to tell the laser it's okay to burn away)...

I'm aware a 1.5" lens would buy me .5" of space - I guess I was curious if there is a way around buying anything (like Lee's recommendation to take out the table and place it in the trough). Pretty sure it won't let me laser anything without the table in place.I haven't needed to try that trick, but the standard table on my older (2005) VL200 doesn't have a plug, so I'm not really sure how the laser would 'know' it wasn't installed.

EDIT: just tried it, works fine.

Scott Balboa
02-11-2010, 5:51 PM
Aww lucky... ours is a 2009 model and all the tables (engraving, cutting, rotary) have plugs that communicate with the laser when the table is installed. I have worked on VersaLasers from the mid-2000s and current models and I have to say I like the older ones better. I think they are better built and less finicky!

Lee DeRaud
02-11-2010, 6:01 PM
Aww lucky... ours is a 2009 model and all the tables (engraving, cutting, rotary) have plugs that communicate with the laser when the table is installed.Huh, guess that's what they call "progress".

The cutting table for mine has a plug, but it just jumpers across two pins in the chassis socket so the firmware knows to offset the Z-axis.
(I assume most of the other pins are to power/control the rotary widget.)