PDA

View Full Version : Cermarking Thin Stainless Steel

Scott Shepherd
02-10-2010, 7:09 PM
I've been asked to quote a job for cermarking on stainless. I've done same samples on scraps I have here, and it works fine, but the material they want it done on will be far thinner than my sample. I tried it on 1/16" and they want it on material that will be about .024" thick.

My worry is that it takes so much heat, it will leave ripples around all the engraving areas or it'll just warp the crap out of the piece.

Am I being paranoid in thinking that, or is that going to be a real problem?

Carl Sewell
02-10-2010, 8:03 PM
I've done Cermark on .024" thick, 304 SS with almost complete coverage, in text, of 4" x 4" plates. I didn't have any problems. I would advise putting double-sided adhesive under the left and right edges JUST IN CASE you get any warping due to heat. Don't seat it so hard that you can't get the plate off!! Just a very light touch.

Mike Null
02-11-2010, 5:09 AM
I do a lot of .030" with great results. Don't put it on too heavy. I like an airbrush for application.

Scott Challoner
02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I have a bunch of .005" SS from old solder paste stencils. That stuff warps terribly. Actually a neat effect on the back side as it looks embossed.

Dan Hintz
02-11-2010, 5:47 PM
Steve,

A recent order was for marking on 30mil SS mounting plates... no warpage of any kind. When I was using 10-15mil shim plates and beating/heating the tar out of them to find a good setting, the entire piece was slowly curling. At proper heat levels for marking on 25mil pieces, you'll be fine.