PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Maple: Router Technique Question

Scott Cardais
02-10-2010, 5:06 PM
I'm making a table top from birdseye maple and dealing with this wood has been a bear because it's so brittle. Jointing the edges was extremely difficult. Even removing 1/64th of an inch (or less), I had a severe chip out problem. Suffice it to say, my table top is now much narrower than I originally planned! I've finally got the top made and I want to round over the edges with my router.

Because I've had such trouble with my jointer and planer with this wood, I'm wondering if anyone our there has any technical advice on how to achieve a smooth round over edge without chipping. Using a 2 1/2 hp router and a round over bit with a 1/2" shank, should I use a slow or fast rpm on the router? Any other suggestions on how to reduce chip out?

Thanks,

Scott C.

Richard Dragin
02-10-2010, 5:21 PM
A faster speed and move slower but then there is the burning. Clamp a piece of sacrificial wood flush on each end so you are not starting and stopping with your maple. Run it down hill or opposite how you normally would. Take small circular bites to waste most of the wood. Save a really small adjustment for your finish pass. A really sharp bit will also help.

Philip Rodriquez
02-10-2010, 5:22 PM
Here are a few thoughts:

Wet the wood! This is a little known secret. Just a damp sponge will work.
Use sharp blades
Use a high speed. 1/4 round bits are small. therefore, they require a fast speed
climb-cut the top. Please use caution and be aware of the danger
Use progressively deeper cuts. don't try to get there in one pass

Van Huskey
02-10-2010, 5:27 PM
First get a Freud quadra-cut round over (this way you double the number of bites) run full speed on the router. Don't just climb cut as that can be very dangerous, bump cut first then finish by climb cutting. If you haven't bump cut before practice on some scrap first. You might try some regular cuts on the maple scrap with the quadra-cut, you might find that that is enough.

Van Huskey
02-10-2010, 5:29 PM
Wet the wood! This is a little known secret. Just a damp sponge will work.

Wetting is a GREAT idea, I do it all the time when jointing or planing unruly wood but never thought to transfer it to routing!

Philip Rodriquez
02-10-2010, 5:58 PM
yep! However, if you are on a well, be sure to use distilled water. You do not want mineral stains to impact your finish.

Chip Lindley
02-10-2010, 6:47 PM
+1 on Wetting! then making a final, very shallow climb cut.

Robert Chapman
02-10-2010, 8:49 PM
First I would recommend that you joint and plane birdseye using tools with Byrd Helical heads. They do not result in tear out. When I rout birdseye I use the fastest router speed available and have not had a serious problem with tear out or chipping. Never tried wetting the wood. Good luck.

Scott Cardais
02-10-2010, 9:41 PM
Terrific advice. Thank you. I'm not familiar with "climb cutting" or "bump cutting." Where can I learn about this technique?

Thanks very much.

Scott C.

Van Huskey
02-10-2010, 9:55 PM
Terrific advice. Thank you. I'm not familiar with "climb cutting" or "bump cutting." Where can I learn about this technique?

Thanks very much.

Scott C.

Climb cutting is just "routing backwards" or running the same direction as the cutters are cutting, in a word dangerous. Bump cutting is going straight into the wood over and over again leaving a small amount of wood between each cut, then going back and making a pass cutting the rest of this waste out, it makes climb cutting less dangerous.

You can google them and probably find videos.

I think you might be fine routing the normal way, dampened (as mentioned) and using the Freud bit, the quadra cut effectively doubles the speed of the router thus taking less wood with each cut.

Darnell Hagen
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
A sharp, clean bit
High RPMs, slow feed rate (just above burning)
Several light passes
Climb cut
You don't want to wet the wood, just dampen the top layer. (don't tell my wife, but I'll lick short pieces,that's all it takes)
If you can, freeze your lumber. Works like a charm.

Scott Cardais
02-10-2010, 10:47 PM
This forum is fantastic. Thanks to everyone for all your thoughtful suggestions. I'll try the quadra cut Freud bit and dampening the wood. Thanks very, very much.

Scott C.