PDA

View Full Version : Birch and Plum Vases

Baxter Smith
02-10-2010, 5:00 PM
I will post these before the power (2 days)or cable/internet (5 days) goes out again!:eek:

Have done some more reading on light boxes but was limited in materials today. All travel has been banned so the closest I could come to neutral gray was some poly.:) Went with the bulbs I had. For some of these pictures I may have just shut them off. Gave up on trying to get no reflection on a gloss finish. The more I try to take the "perfect photo" the more impressed I am at some of the ones posted here.

Only have some smaller diameter pieces that aren't covered by snow so tried some vases with the pith in them - wanted to end up with something a little bigger than my first couple. Don't know how they will end up in the long run.

Wanted to try a vase where the bark would outline the rim.
White Birch. 7x6x3/8 Finished with Antique Oil.

Since the majority of the spalting was around the outside, I kept the pith in the center.
Spalted White Birch 6 1/4 x 4 1/2 x 5/16 Gloss Laquer

Would have liked to have had more of the pink center showing on this one but would have had to turn it down smaller than I wanted.
Plum 5 1/4 x 3 1/4 Gloss Lacquer

I used a spray can of deft gloss lacquer. Isn't quite as smooth looking as I would like when viewed up close. Would buffing improve that a bit?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 5:06 PM
Baxter, I like the birch vase for form, but the plum is hard to beat for color and character. I like spalted wood, but there is just something so warm and inviting with the plum.

Pics are looking better, but this is from a guy that still uses a trashcan to prop up a pillow case for pics!! So, I probably don't know a good pic from a bad one!

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2010, 5:07 PM
Really nice pieces Baxter. Buffing would probably take out some imperfections in the finish. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2010, 5:43 PM
Nice work!

Taking photos of turnings with high gloss finishes can be really challenging! Wish I had some answer for you on how to take them without getting hot spots but the only thing I do is make sure the lights are not in line of sight of the turning. Have enough light flooding the area so a time exposure can grab all it needs. It is one of those things you really have to play with.... a lot!

charlie knighton
02-10-2010, 6:45 PM
i am with John, i like the plum

Bill Bolen
02-10-2010, 6:56 PM
Lovely pieces all Baxter. You really got the hang of this HF thing!...Bill...

David E Keller
02-10-2010, 7:53 PM
Beautiful vases... I like the spalted one the best, but I'm a sucker for spalted anything. The form and finish look great. Nice work.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Baxter, I like the birch vase for form, but the plum is hard to beat for color and character. I like spalted wood, but there is just something so warm and inviting with the plum.

Pics are looking better, but this is from a guy that still uses a trashcan to prop up a pillow case for pics!! So, I probably don't know a good pic from a bad one!
Thanks John, thats a good way of putting it about the plum. Don't believe my setup is any more advanced than yours as I just drape whatever over whatever I have handy.:)

Really nice pieces Baxter. Buffing would probably take out some imperfections in the finish. Well done.
Thanks Bernie. I will have to try the buffing. It seems to have a stipple look to it as is.

Nice work!

Taking photos of turnings with high gloss finishes can be really challenging! Wish I had some answer for you on how to take them without getting hot spots but the only thing I do is make sure the lights are not in line of sight of the turning. Have enough light flooding the area so a time exposure can grab all it needs. It is one of those things you really have to play with.... a lot!
Thanks Steve. Play with it a lot is right!

i am with John, i like the plum
Thanks Charlie. I do too.

Lovely pieces all Baxter. You really got the hang of this HF thing!...Bill...
Thanks Bill. Since I just came in from the shop and making some more of my shop art, I don't think so!:)

Beautiful vases... I like the spalted one the best, but I'm a sucker for spalted anything. The form and finish look great. Nice work.
Thanks David. The spalting was not particularly wild but it was evenly distributed around the outside.

Tony De Masi
02-11-2010, 8:26 AM
Really well done pieces Baxter. I will have to agree with others that the plum is my favorite of the group.

Tony

Ken Glass
02-11-2010, 9:51 AM
Baxter,
Nice work. If you decide to use a buffing system, you will notice a big difference in how the pieces feel also. Buffing makes turnings very touchable. The plum has some very nice lines and is my favorite.

Brian Effinger
02-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Really nice vases, Baxter. While I like the plum, I am drawn to the spalted birch. It seems to have just the right amount of spalting, and the form is spot on. I'm not too crazy about the NE on though. I like the overall shape, but the NE is just a little too much for my taste. Maybe if it was reduced to a quarter of it's height? Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Nice work! :)

Brian

Eric Kosanovich
02-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Vary nice Baxter