PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a Lathe & stuff, possible gloat

Lori Kleinberg
02-10-2010, 4:17 PM
I figured someday I would get into turning, but I wasn’t quite ready yet :(. I still wanted to learn how to make band saw boxes, to hand cut dovetails, I have never
done a frame and panel door and I really,really needed to work on my sharpening skills:o. So much to do and so little time to do it in:eek:.

I made a mistake ….. I looked at craigslist. Why ….. I don’t know why, I really didn’t need anything at this point.
Soooo, then I found this stuff on craigslist.

I didn’t really know the pricing to well, but seemed like a heck of a deal.
I got ;

Jet mini lathe JML-1014I & stand
Lee Valley smock
Nova G3 chuck
helmet & goggles
Groz 8” divider
Sorby bowl thickness thingy
WoodRiver gouge
Benjamins Best gouge
Sorby parting tool
hand sander thingy
Pinnacle 5pc Lathe tool set
4pk abrasive rolls for pen turners
8” bench grinder w/ 60 & 120 Al grit (white) wheels
Oneway wolverine grinding jig
Oneway wolverine vari-grind attachment
3 Richard Raffan turning books
8 assorted sized pieces of wood

All for $400. I think I did good ;).

Richard Dragin
02-10-2010, 5:09 PM
I think you stole it and looks like a really nice addition to a nice shop, congrats. I will reserve the traditional comment for such a good deal because of gender and the nature of this forum, however if you post this on another popular forum you will get a whole lot of that comment.

Paul Johnstone
02-10-2010, 5:10 PM
You did well. All those "thingies" are expensive new.
Enjoy.

Lori Kleinberg
02-10-2010, 5:40 PM
Thanks guys. I told my husband I was going to post about this purchase and with any luck I would get a couple of "you suck" comments :eek::D.
I honestly did not know the deal I was getting until after we saw all the stuff. Without knowing exact pricing on most of these things we were pretty confident
that it was a good deal. Didn't even really haggle :(, which is half the fun of craigslist.

Karl Card
02-10-2010, 5:44 PM
do the words "you suck" mean anything...lol.. take that as a positive. That is the same lathe I have. I thought I got a good deal on mine. I gave 199 bux for it brand new in the box out the door. but the extras you got are just well awesome. When I got into wood working and turning etc i used to sit around hoping id win certain auctions and the such and a friend of mine told me "if you were meant to have it, you will" I really believe in this now... so in other words you looked at CL because somewhere somehow you were meant to have it.. Good luck and show us what you turn.

Dan Forman
02-10-2010, 7:12 PM
Congrats on the haul, you did very well. Now go introduce yourself down in the turning forum. :D

Dan

Bob Borzelleri
02-10-2010, 9:33 PM
Had my wife scored all this stuff for $400, she would have already sent Craig a thank you note.:cool:

David DeCristoforo
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
That Jet lathe looks like just what you needed for hanging shirts on in the shop! At first I thought the shirt was part of the deal but you didn't mention it in the list...

Jim Mattheiss
02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Lori - that's a fine haul for the $$$$

Some of the stuff still has the Woodcraft stickers on them. Buy enough from them and they are recognizable . . .

See if they have any Intro to Turning classes at a local Woodcraft or any other Woodworking store. I took a class to get the basics and then am playing on my own. They have more advanced classes - but I can't take direction - or so my wife tells me.

Enjoy your new toys.

Jim

Dave Lehnert
02-10-2010, 11:05 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/15/bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

Mike Cruz
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Wow, great gloat. Even better that you didn't even really know it was a gloat when you got it. Show us what you make with it... ;)

John Coloccia
02-11-2010, 12:23 AM
5 years ago you'll look back on this and think, "That $400 was the most expensive $400 I ever spent".

Nice.

Doug W Swanson
02-11-2010, 12:40 AM
That reminds me of the deal I got on my Jet mini last spring.

I found a Jet 1014, the stand and a set of Jet mini turning tools on craigslist.

Do you want to know what I paid?:confused:

A whopping $150....:D

The best part of it was everything was BRAND NEW and still in the boxes!

Then to make it even better, I sold my POS Ridgid lathe on craigslist for $175.

Congrats on your gloat!
Doug

Lori Kleinberg
02-11-2010, 2:35 AM
Oh David, 2nd down on the list "Lee Valley Smock" ;).

Thanks to everyone. I haven't really figured out when I will get to actually use the lathe. As I said, there are a few things I would like to get done before
I start down that vortex, although I did start reading one of Richards books and watch his DVD that I bought. I will probably push the handcut dovetails to
the bottom of my to do list.

I would love to take a class, but my back is so bad that I would never make it through more then an hour or 2. Once I get around to it I will try on my own,
if that doesn't work I will probably talk to the owners of the local Woodcraft and see if he could arrange special training time for me. And of course there is
always SMC that I could pump for information.

I thought I might start by making some pens. I have a ton of scrap that could be used for the blanks, but I need to (learn to:rolleyes:)sharpen the tools I have and
buy the other things needed for pen making. (:cool:mental note)Pens would make great presents for next Christmas.

I was really hoping I would be able to straighten out my garage/workshop so I could park inside by the time the temps go over 100 :eek:. That doesn't look like
it will be happening. Oh well, this is much more fun, :pand the burn of the steering wheel and seat only hurts for a minute or two.

Karl Card
02-11-2010, 3:40 AM
That reminds me of the deal I got on my Jet mini last spring.

I found a Jet 1014, the stand and a set of Jet mini turning tools on craigslist.

Do you want to know what I paid?:confused:

A whopping $150....:D

The best part of it was everything was BRAND NEW and still in the boxes!

Then to make it even better, I sold my POS Ridgid lathe on craigslist for $175.

Congrats on your gloat!
Doug

if you wanna talk POS lathe you oughta see my first one... I could actually turn oval pens with it... without having to offcenter the blank.... pure harbor freight special...lol

Harlan Coverdale
02-11-2010, 5:05 AM
Congrats on a great deal. Just a very rough guess, it looks like easily over $1200 worth of tools and supplies.

Were you wearing a mask when you stole it? :D

You are wise to pursue your other woodworking goals before you get started turning, because once you start, it's gonna be hard to stop. ;)

Aaron Wingert
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
5 years ago you'll look back on this and think, "That $400 was the most expensive $400 I ever spent".

Nice.

Boy, that's no lie. As we often say over in the turning subforum, welcome to the turning vortex! Do yourself a favor and lose your wallet. Trust me. You have the basics now, but once you get started you'll quickly start learning about all the nifty gadgets that make turning even more enjoyable. That stuff really adds up fast and will make that initial $400 look like chump change.

By the way, you suck. Great deal on a good Craigslist score!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
$400........great gloat....but it was just "seed" money. No it won't grow more money but you will wish it would!:rolleyes:

Rick Huelsbeck
02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I figured someday I would get into turning, but I wasn’t quite ready yet :(. I still wanted to learn how to make band saw boxes, to hand cut dovetails, I have never
done a frame and panel door and I really,really needed to work on my sharpening skills:o. So much to do and so little time to do it in:eek:.

I made a mistake ….. I looked at craigslist. Why ….. I don’t know why, I really didn’t need anything at this point.
Soooo, then I found this stuff on craigslist.

I didn’t really know the pricing to well, but seemed like a heck of a deal.
I got ;

Jet mini lathe JML-1014I & stand
Lee Valley smock
Nova G3 chuck
helmet & goggles
Groz 8” divider
Sorby bowl thickness thingy
WoodRiver gouge
Benjamins Best gouge
Sorby parting tool
hand sander thingy
Pinnacle 5pc Lathe tool set
4pk abrasive rolls for pen turners
8” bench grinder w/ 60 & 120 Al grit (white) wheels
Oneway wolverine grinding jig
Oneway wolverine vari-grind attachment
3 Richard Raffan turning books
8 assorted sized pieces of wood

All for $400. I think I did good ;).

If Dave had not beat me to it, yes you would have gotten a YOU SUCK from me, ok you got it anyway. I paid almost 400 for my Jet mini lathe without the stand. I would say this really qualifies as a gloat. Don't forget we do have a turning forum and those guys can help you get started in a hurry, btw it's called a vortex for a reason:D

Lori Kleinberg
02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks again guys. I have been trying to add this stuff to my inventory and am amazed at the prices :eek: on most of this stuff. I really did get a good deal :cool:.
I really don't know anything about turning, except for the one thing I have heard a thousand times "once you start...". That is why I am trying to finish up
the other projects on my to do list before I start.
But that lathe is just sitting in my shop calling my name and it is getting harder to resist :p especially after seeing all the great stuff you guys have turned on your lathes.