PDA

View Full Version : dovetail jigs?

Patrick Melchior
02-10-2010, 3:45 PM
I am looking for some feedback on dovetail jigs that you would like to pass on? pros and cons.... easy of use, setup, cost?

etc

Aaron Wingert
02-10-2010, 3:56 PM
I have two. One is a leigh jig, the other is an Incra system.

The Incra is a great system but for me it is like remembering how to play craps. I'm good at it when I'm doing it but two days later I have to totally re-learn how to play. Just too much setup and detail and that sucks the fun out of it. The Incra makes an awesome router table fence though.

The Leigh jig is awesome. Mine is a small 12" version. Nothing too complicated. I made perfect dovetails with it the first time I tried and have used it a number of times since with great success. Pin spacing is adjustable, which is nice when you're wanting odd spacing for a cool look. I highly recommend the Leigh.

Lee Schierer
02-10-2010, 4:05 PM
I have the Rockler jig. It's not a bad jig, but it has a learning curve. The #1 problem with it is making the adjustments to center the pins and tails on the width of your drawer pieces. You have to disassemble the jig to get to the screws. If the designer had looked ahead, the screw locations could have been made more convenient. For the price it isn't a bad jig.

Loren Hedahl
02-10-2010, 4:24 PM
I bought a Leigh D4 a bunch of years ago and did a couple of projects with it.

Then I viewed a DVD of a woodworker who whipped them out so fast and elegant with just a back saw, chisel and mallet that I began to feel embarrassed and inadequate just thinking about all the stuff I needed to make a dovetail joint vs what he worked with -- you know, a head game!

So I gave his method a try and haven't used the Leigh since! That is not to say the Leigh is deficient in any way or even especially cumbersome to use. It really does a great job.

So my recommendation would be to learn how to do them the easy way with hand tools. However if you have a large bunch to do, then the machine method makes sense.

Another thing you should be aware of is a machine can't really make true half-blind dovetails (I may get some difference of opinion on this - but that's OK) because they are truncated (or rounded off) at the back. You can avoid this -- just use through dovetails, then glue up a separate drawer front.

Harley Lewis
02-10-2010, 4:45 PM
I have the Leigh D4, and it without a doubt is the best jig on the market. It is easy, fast, and very versatile. It will do every dove tail patten possible including through, half blind, and I get a kick out of using their isoloc system which makes dove tail patterns like clover, bears ears, waves etc. I understand the purist who uses a saw and chisel, but that person would have a dickens of a time doing the isoloc patterns:).

Seriously, the Leigh is the best of the jigs out there, but it is pricey.

Mike Heidrick
02-10-2010, 5:10 PM
I have the older Omnijig and Incra fence setup. I use the Omnijig and it works awesome for me.

I want to try handcut and bandsaw dovetails.

Mark Woodmark
02-10-2010, 5:54 PM
I got this jig for Christmas (24") and the C-kit. Havent tried it out yet. Looks pretty heavy duty and easy to setup and use. Might want to check it out.

http://www.akeda.com/

roman fedyk
02-10-2010, 5:58 PM
The best jig is the one the poster owns.....I like the Akeda because it is extremely easy to set up and use. I also have the Leigh D4R and the Omnijig. But use the Akedas all the time, the others are collecting dust instead of making it.

In fact I have two Akeda's set up, one for pins and one for tails, and they fit together perfectly. Also the Akeda does not require a big investment in templates, which can really drive the price of the jig up big time.

Some of the templates that other jigs offer are of no use to me as most of the furniture I build is period furniture and waves and ears just would not look right on them.

I think you need to determine what you are going to be building with the jigs before running off and buying one only to find out it does not fit your needs.

Jim Eller
02-10-2010, 7:20 PM
+1 Akeda.

Easy(even a caveman can do it). Perfect DT's every time. Versatile. Built like a tank. No dust or chips on the floor or in the air with vac. On stock <12" you can cut pins on one end and tails on the other with the 24" version and two routers. You can call Akeda and the inventor answers the phone. Blah! Blah! Blah! I could go on.

You can put it away for two months, take it out and be cutting perfect DT's in twenty minutes.

Previously owned PC DT jig.

Anyone that does them by hand has my admiration.

Jim

James Phillips
02-10-2010, 7:23 PM
I am looking for some feedback on dovetail jigs that you would like to pass on? pros and cons.... easy of use, setup, cost?

etc

I have a porter cable I will sell you for $40.

Tony Shea
02-10-2010, 8:59 PM
Damn, the Akeda jig sure does look nice. But I guess for $500 it ought to. I'll have to chalk that one up on my need list. Still like the peacefulness of cutting them by hand but it sure would be nice to bang out a chest of drawers in a hurry while being able to customize my layout of the tails and pins. If you had the money I would get the Akeda, and this is without owning the thing. It just looks like the cats' a$$.

Neil Brooks
02-10-2010, 10:08 PM
I have the Porter-Cable 4212 (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11437).

I like it just fine, but ... for whatever reason ... I get the sense that the Leigh is viewed as a better product.

John Grabowski
02-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I have no info on the akeda... I have the Leigh D4R... LOVE IT!!! I just put some pieces up that I used it on under my post for beer handles in the TURNERS forum... I made variably spaced DT's on two pieces with the jig in about 20 mins.It has a vary small learning curve.good luck in your decisionJohn G

Mark Woodmark
02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I too owned a Leigh jig (just sold it) and still own an Omijig. I felt Th Omijig was easier to use than the Leigh. Hoping the Akeda I got for Christmas is much easier than either of them

Steve Griffin
02-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I chose the Omni jig for two reasons:

1)A dedicated D-handle router is well supported and can stay sitting on the jig. (Unlike the Leigh)

2)Super Quick cam locks (Unlike Akeda)

I just use it for simple drawer dovetails, where speed and nice fit is all I care about.

If I cared about more unusual or creative dovetails, I'd definitely choose something else.

-Steve

Erik Frederiksen
02-11-2010, 12:49 AM
I got the Akeda recently and used it on some drawers recently. I like it very much. It's cool to watch all the dust swirl away through the view window. It makes really good dovetails.

I got it because a number of people posted that it was much more user friendly than the Leigh. Also the guy who started Akeda was, I hear, one of the designers of the Leigh who left Leigh to build a better jig.

Philip Johnson
02-11-2010, 1:40 AM
I have the Akeda accessory c kit....now if the rest of the jig would show up I could tell you how I like it.

Phil

Lori Kleinberg
02-11-2010, 2:43 AM
Patrick, I do not have a dovetail jig at this time, but I have done alot of research on them for a future purchase. I had narrowed it down to the Leigh or the Porter Cable.
If I were to go tomorrow to buy one I would probably go with the Leigh. :rolleyes:Unfortuneately something else came up (see my gloat in General woodworking and power tools),
so the dovetail jig will have to wait.

Don Dorn
02-11-2010, 7:54 AM
I have the Porter-Cable 4212 (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11437).

I like it just fine, but ... for whatever reason ... I get the sense that the Leigh is viewed as a better product.

I also have the 4212, and have the same thought as you. I don't use it anymore having moved hand cutting, but there isn't anything wrong with the jig. In fact, even though it's a fixed jig, you can actually do (somewhat) variable spaced dovetails with it. It's in the advanced manual and I had to try it, and found it works. Good jig, but if I were buying a new one, I would go with Akeda or Leigh.

Justin Roberts
02-11-2010, 8:17 AM
I have a Leigh D4. I also have several dovetail saws. Haven't used the jig in 3 years. Take a class from someone who knows how to cut dovetails and you will be off, and a lot cheaper too (even if you buy only top end hand tools for it....Wentzloff saw, blue spruce chisel and mallet, glen-drake scribe, and a LN smoother vs...router, all of the bits, and a fancy jig...)

my 2 cents worth.....

I regret buying the jig now...

Greg Sznajdruk
02-11-2010, 9:28 AM
I chose the Omni jig for two reasons:

1)A dedicated D-handle router is well supported and can stay sitting on the jig. (Unlike the Leigh)

2)Super Quick cam locks (Unlike Akeda)

I just use it for simple drawer dovetails, where speed and nice fit is all I care about.

If I cared about more unusual or creative dovetails, I'd definitely choose something else.

-Steve

The Leigh jig with the dust extraction rail allows you to support the router on the jig. You can leave the router sitting on the jig fully supported. If you buy the D4r spend the money for the dust rail.

Greg

Paul Murphy
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
The Leigh jig with the dust extraction rail allows you to support the router on the jig. You can leave the router sitting on the jig fully supported. If you buy the D4r spend the money for the dust rail.

Greg

+1 on the Leigh VRS (Vacuum & Router Support) if you decide on the Leigh.

I have the Leigh, and like the adaptability of the variable spacing. It's essential for some types of projects that require a pin or tail in an exact location to accomodate some other construction requirement. Without the variable spacing you would be cutting dovetails by hand, which is great, but only if you have the time right then to learn how!

I only know about the Leigh, but if you buy one, set aside the time to read the manual. The better you understand the jig, the easier your "advanced" projects will be on you.

Jim Rimmer
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I have the Rockler jig. It's not a bad jig, but it has a learning curve. The #1 problem with it is making the adjustments to center the pins and tails on the width of your drawer pieces. You have to disassemble the jig to get to the screws. If the designer had looked ahead, the screw locations could have been made more convenient. For the price it isn't a bad jig.
I have the Rockler jig also and agree with Lee. I bought it before I found SMC and wish I had known about this site before. I would probably paid a little more and gotten a better jig. It's OK but I wouldn't recommend it.

Al Navas
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM

etc
Patrick,

You won't wrong with the Leigh dovetail jigs. Quality, Customer and Technical Support, and documentation, are second to none - the industry standard, in fact, and everyone else tries to emulate them in all respects.

roman fedyk
02-11-2010, 1:56 PM
If you want a Leigh jig you can buy tons of them for sale on Ebay and other sites. If you want an Akeda you will have to buy it new because they rarely come up for sale secondhand.....I think that speaks volumes for the Akeda.

Also, I am not affiliated with Akeda, nor do they support my website (which is non existant) but I am honestly a satisifed user.

I just noticed that you are in Strongsville, Ohio. That is where my company is located. Nice town....

etc

Ray Newman
02-11-2010, 5:17 PM
I have the Leigh with the add-on ducst collection. See what others said about the quality of the Leigh.

Also have 2 of the Keller dovetail jigs -- 1600 and 2400 -- bought at close out/fire sale/rock bottom prices many years ago. Very easy to use and simple to set up. Probably one of the more simplier jigs. Also recommend purchasing the instructional video for the Keller.
www.kellerdovetail.com/ (http://www.kellerdovetail.com/)

All jigs have a learning curve -- some steeper than others --and the more you use the jig, the quicker set up, etc., becomes second nature.

What jig you need or want IMO depends upon your wallet and projects. For small boxes, a large do-it-all jig may nit be necessary. Now carcase work, variable spacing, etc., is horse of a different color.

DC is important with these jigs. Cutting dovetails creates a large amount of dust and chips.

Cary Falk
02-11-2010, 5:42 PM
My PC4212 suits my needs just fine.

Scott Stafford
02-11-2010, 5:46 PM
+1 for the Akeda

I have the 24". I love the fact that I can duplicate the dovetail pattern I may have done on a chest two years ago with a few minutes of set up.

I previously had a D4.

This is not a replacement for hand cut dovetails, but as it was mentioned earlier, if you have a whole chest of drawers to do... this could save you days! Makes a nice looking dovetail too.

Scott in Montana

Steve Griffin
02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
It's very interesting to read the variety of posts here. On one extreme you have a small production cabinet shop who only cares about "clamping speed" and "router support", and at the other extreme those buddha-hobbyists who are making heirloom furniture for spiritual reasons and strive to avoid electric contraptions at all costs. It only goes to show how important expressing what your goals are to getting good feedback.

There is no one right answer to the ancient "dovetail" inquiry. Since you give almost no clues as to what you are making and what your budget is, you should expect a huge range of responses.

-Steve

Zach England
02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
All roads lead to Leigh or Akeda (or defenestrating machine-cut doevtails altogether). Research the Leigh and Akeda and forget the rest. I have not used the Leigh, so I will not comment further, but I do own the Akeda 24 and like it. Yes, they are expensive, but consider that for most people using these jigs they also have to factor in the cost of the first jig they bought and later sold for $50 on craiglist. In my case this was a Porter Cable 42-whatever. I remember when I was buying it I thought "there's no way I could justify the cost of the top-end jigs" but I ended up buying the Akeda a year later.

Hopefully one day I will look back on machine-cut dovetails and shake my head and laugh.

Matt Roth
02-12-2010, 8:45 AM
I thought I posted this last night, but if I rememeber correct, the jig from a PC 42** can be clamped to the workpiece and used to cut dovetails on a piece larger than 12".

willie sobat
02-12-2010, 9:37 AM
I threw my DT Jig away. Since I build one-off pieces of furniture to satisfy myself and the LOML I gained no advantage in production efficiency. In fact quite the opposite. So if you are like me get a nice DT saw and some chisels.

Steve Walls
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
If you're interested in the Akeda, one is being sold with the accessories here, http://festoolownersgroup.com/classifieds/akeda-dc-16-dove-tail-jig-and-accessories-for-sale/msg90867/?topicseen#msg90867 for $325, includes shipping. Not mine......

Dan T Jones
02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Keep in mind this is coming from a person that does not have a DT jig but would like to start using DT's.

Would the following template from Hartville tool work for through DT's like the Keller jig? Mount it to a board?

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11866?sc=TF0924

On sale for $40.

What do you all think?

Jim Terrill
02-12-2010, 11:58 AM
If you're interested in the Akeda, one is being sold with the accessories here, http://festoolownersgroup.com/classifieds/akeda-dc-16-dove-tail-jig-and-accessories-for-sale/msg90867/?topicseen#msg90867 for $325, includes shipping. Not mine......

Thanks for the heads up, just sent them a pm. Would have preferred the 24", but the price is right.

Edit: Jig is now sold, I'm going to make myself some new drawers soon!

Jay Allen
02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Another for Leigh here. I have the 12" super jig with the VRS and it has been great for me. I cut my first joint with it on some scrap pieces as recommended and I kept them on a shelf in the garage as a perfect sample.

Joe Scharle
02-12-2010, 1:53 PM
I haven't read all of the replies so if I'm repeating, please excuse.
If you want a DT jig, the first thing you need to do is try to cut some by hand with the saws, chisels you have on hand. Use some scrap. From this exercise you'll know what you want from a jig.
In my case, my eyesight is not what it used to be and I have more tools than shop space (I know, who doesn't), I use my Woodrat for fine DT work, my Leigh Super as well and for kitchen/vanity drawers, I use a $19.95 Harbor Freight.
If your eyesight is good you may discover just how easy hand cut DTs actually are to do. At any rate, Good luck.

Barry wines
02-13-2010, 4:41 PM
If I get the Akeda,what do I get for my $500. What can I make with what comes with it . Can I make through, half blind and box joints. also can I do dovetail dados?

Michael Heffernan
02-13-2010, 7:08 PM
If you get the Akeda BC24, I suggest that you get the C-kit at the same time. You get a discount from The Jig Store ($130 discount) if purchased at the same time as the jig. It contains most everything you will ever need for making all sizes of DT joints, some box joints, etc. If you can't afford the C-kit, go with the A-kit ($80 discount), if purchased at the same time as the jig.
The Akeda BC-24 is a great jig. You can make through and half-blind dovetail joints, box joints and if you have a steady hand and are good with the router, you can make sliding dovetail joints (dadoes). There is a tech article on the Akeda website http://akeda.com/resources.downloads.html about making sliding dovetails.
The great thing about this jig is the versatility, ease of use and repeatability. And as Akeda comes out with new guides, bits and bushings, you will be able to make even more sizes of joints. They just came out with a new guide bushing to make true uniform 1/2" box joints. They also have an Index Strip Adjuster that you can install on the jig that allows you to offset the index strip and center your DT joints on boards that are not exactly in 1/8" increments. (not an issue for me)

If I get the Akeda,what do I get for my $500. What can I make with what comes with it . Can I make through, half blind and box joints. also can I do dovetail dados?

Larry Feltner
02-13-2010, 9:43 PM
I have the Leigh too. Its a very good jig. The question I have is what is the best jig/template that can be used on stock of any lenght? I have seen the Keller, MCLS, etc. What do you think works best for long stock that will not fit in a Leigh jig?

Duane Murray
02-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I have owned and used the Incra LSTS system for the past several months. While it is an awesome piece of equipment, it has a HUGE learning curve. It also seems if I don't use it on a regular basis, I have it all to learn again.

Somehow I knew there was something easier out there and tried a couple of fixed finger jigs. While they work quite well I found myself always wanting more pin placement versatility like I had on the Incra system.
After a lot of research I settled on the Liegh Super 18. I can honestly say I made the correct choice. I am completely taken with it's versatility and ease of use. I have made several Post Office box door banks for my grandkids and none are the same but all have perfect through dove tails created on the Leigh jig.

Additionally, I am in the process of building my wife an Oak Side Board Hutch and I'm looking forward to using the Leigh to make sliding dovetails to attach the shelves and drawer dividers.

Mark me up for a very satisfied Leigh proponent. :o

Howard Jahnke
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
+1 on the Akeda. Bought this about a month or so ago. Have made several drawers and also the Michael H. inspired box to house all the accessories. Awesome jig. Everything it's touted to be.

joseph j shields
02-19-2010, 3:19 PM
I don't want to start a holy war:D:D:D But......

one thing that I didn't like about the Omni-Jig was that you can only use 1 bit (I THINK it is a 12degree) with the jig.

I bought the Akeda because I can use 9, 11, 14 and 20 degree bit angles. Personally I like the higher bit angles... the dovetails are more visually appealing. With the Akeda I have the flexibility to use the bit angle I want to achieve the look I want.

-jj shields