PDA

View Full Version : What The ... ?

Jim Koepke
02-10-2010, 2:22 PM
There were 33 bids by 11 bidders. I forgot to get back on this one. It started at $0.01. I bid a max of $2.68 figuring if nothing else, it has some good wood. I was even thinking of going as high as $20 total including the shipping.

Gee, I wish I knew who some of the bidders were on this type 9 #5. Have I got a deal for them.

Surely, the seller is smiling.

And don't call him Shirley.

jim

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 2:25 PM
There is a fool born every minute! The key is to be there the minute they open their wallet - and this seller obviously fell into that moment!!

Jim Koepke
02-10-2010, 2:33 PM
The bidding on this is disguised as all private bidders. Even my own bid is treated that way. There must have been at least two fools in the mix. I would just like to catch the one that got away.

Or if not, maybe they could just send me their wallet...

jim

James Taglienti
02-10-2010, 3:20 PM
Obviously the seller isn't the brightest bulb either for publicly posting a question about money orders. He stressed the fact that the "plane is not a trophy." Yeah, you got that right. Pretty funny wording though, kinda makes you think.

Jim Koepke
02-10-2010, 3:32 PM
Obviously the seller isn't the brightest bulb either for publicly posting a question about money orders. He stressed the fact that the "plane is not a trophy." Yeah, you got that right. Pretty funny wording though, kinda makes you think.

I hope he isn't about to fall prey to a money order scam.

jim

Mike Henderson
02-10-2010, 6:57 PM
I'm always highly suspicious of listings like that - way over bid, private bidding, only one picture. Perhaps someone just wanted a "sale" to back up an insurance claim.

There's no reason why people would bid that plane up that high. And it's hard to believe the seller just happened to get two suckers bidding against each other.

Mike

Jonathan McCullough
02-10-2010, 8:24 PM
I've bid fair prices in private auctions and always got sniped at the end. I think there's something fixed and unfair about them, like the seller is shopping for a price, or maybe they have an eager buyer at hand who will bid almost anything.

Jonathan McCullough
02-10-2010, 9:40 PM
Another wild one--under the following description:

OLD ANTIQUE VINTAGE MILLERS FALLS HAND DRILL #2

which, with about 40 minutes left is at $103. Now granted, the guy polished it up and painted it, it looks great, but I picked up a couple of these at a flea market for about $5 and fixed them up for my kids.

Matthew Wright
02-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that all auctions on the big site have gone private now and you can't see the true identities of the bidders.

george wilson
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Looks like a crack in the cheek.

Jim Koepke
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that all auctions on the big site have gone private now and you can't see the true identities of the bidders.

The bidders names have been changed to nonsense numbers or letters like this:

This auction was like this:

jim

Matthew Wright
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
wow. Never seen one of those. Definitely jicky.

Randy Bonella
02-11-2010, 3:53 AM
There was another one just like that recently a #5 Type 11 that looked to be in great shape. It did have multiple pictures but got two folks going at it and it topped at $242. I've seen a few more not so great looking planes going for $70-$100

I'd load the picture of it but can't quite figure out how to get it from eBay.

Randy...

Jim Koepke
02-11-2010, 4:25 AM
I'd load the picture of it but can't quite figure out how to get it from eBay.

If you have a Macintosh, it is easy. Press the Shift, Command and the 4 key down and the cursor turns into a cross hair. Click and hold in one corner of the image wanted and drag then release at the corner diagonal to the start corner. There are numbers right next to the cross hair that will let you know where the start pixels are on the screen until you click and hold. Then the numbers are telling the size of the image being captured.

If one wants to copy an image to the clipboard to paste into another document without creating a new document, then just add the Control key to the above sequence.

I think in Windows one needs to acquire software like 'Snag It' or some other third party program. That is unless it is in the new Operating System release from Redmond.

Sometimes, you can click on a picture and drag it to the desktop. I think there are also possibilities with right clicking. I know very little about the Windows OS since I have not used it for about 2 years.

Maybe others will know better ways to do image capture in Windows.

jim

Jim Koepke
02-11-2010, 4:32 AM
I've bid fair prices in private auctions and always got sniped at the end. I think there's something fixed and unfair about them, like the seller is shopping for a price, or maybe they have an eager buyer at hand who will bid almost anything.

Snipping is a way of life on ebay. If one really wants something, that or perpetual bidding on new auctions is about the only way to win.

Often, when I find something that looks promising but is not presented well, I will bid close to the minimum and forget about it until the email arrives telling me I have won or have been out bid.

If something is really wanted, then I will set an alarm to get me back to the computer before the end of the bid. Then it is time to decide ju$t how much the item i$ wanted. Often there are other snipers right at the end also.

That is one of the things I liked about the old way at ebay was you could look at the other bidders on items and see what kind of bidding they would do. There was too much abuse with the old system so the new system was adopted. I kind of liked knowing a bit about the competition.

jim

Harlan Coverdale
02-11-2010, 4:47 AM
Maybe others will know better ways to do image capture in Windows.

If you hold down <Alt> then press <PrtScn> (print screen), whatever window is active will be copied to the clipboard. You can then past it into a document or your favorite graphics program, like Irfanview, Photoshop or Paint and crop if you want. If you want everything on the screen instead of only the active window, just press <PrtScn> to load the clipboard. ;)

Randy Bonella
02-11-2010, 1:02 PM
Jim,
Again Thanks for the info. I'm on a Mac and yup works great.

This is the #5, great looking plane and I suppose if you are a collector with no plans on using it maybe the price is justified. Its in the price range of a new LN . Also is the bid list for it.

Maybe I'm all wet in my thinking but yowza $242

Oh by the way thanks for the info on the bid listing. Didn't even know this information was there.

Randy...

Jim Koepke
02-11-2010, 2:11 PM
Jim,
Again Thanks for the info. I'm on a Mac and yup works great.

This is the #5, great looking plane and I suppose if you are a collector with no plans on using it maybe the price is justified. Its in the price range of a new LN . Also is the bid list for it.

Maybe I'm all wet in my thinking but yowza $242

Oh by the way thanks for the info on the bid listing. Didn't even know this information was there.

Randy...

Your are welcome, glad to be of help.

I will send you a PM about other Mac tricks that you may like, or maybe I should start a Neanders with Macs thread. One is the same key sequence, but use the 3 key instead of the 4 key to do the same with full screen shots.

Maybe someone started a rumor that those brass screws are actually gold or something.

On the bid listing, it used to be possible to get to the bidders feed back and from their the items for which they have entered bids. Then you could also see if they were the kind to bid a lot at the close, a snipper and all other kinds of nuances. With the new set up you can only get a vague idea filtered by ebay software.

Gotta go now, I have to run out to the shop and put some lipstick on a couple of old #5s...

jim

jim

David Gendron
02-11-2010, 3:23 PM
It is just to show that vallue is relative, you can sale anything at any price if you have a buyer that think it's a fare price. One of my friend use to buy old Land Rovers fix them up a bit and sale them for twice as much for basicaly the same piece of C@**. As for the Miller Falls drill, since the review of Shwarz of a the restoration work of Wk fine tools guy, the price on the bay went up as the price of restored one when to the roof at $150 and up!!