PDA

View Full Version : Aging gracefully

Myk Rian
02-10-2010, 11:58 AM
$5.37. That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bueno said to me. I dug into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that used to be a Jolly Rancher. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid with the Emo hairdo said the harshest thing anyone has ever said to me. He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the senior citizen discount."

I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of change hitting the counter in front of me. "Only $4.68" he said cheerfully. I stood there stupefied. I am 48, not even 50 yet?" A mere child! Senior citizen?

I took my burrito and walked out to the truck wondering what was wrong with Emo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil. Old? Me?
I'll show him, I thought. I opened the door and headed back inside. I strode to the counter, and there he was waiting with a smile.
Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front of me, like I could be that easily distracted! What am I now? A toddler?
"Dude! Can't get too far without your car keys, he?" I stared with utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind. "Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to anyone!"

I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn't turn. What now? I checked my keys and tried another. Still nothing. That's when I noticed the purple beads hanging from my rearview mirror. I had no purple beads hanging from my rearview mirror.

Then, a few other objects came into focus. The car seat in the back seat. Happy Meal toys spread all over the floorboard. A partially eaten doughnut on the dashboard.
Faster than you can say ginkgo biloba, I flew out of the alien vehicle. Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life. That is when I felt it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger! My stomach growled and churned, and I reached to grab my burrito, only it was nowhere to be found.

I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the restaurant one final time. There Emo stood, draped in youth and black nail polish. All I could think was, "What is the world coming to?" All I could say was, "Did I leave my food and drink in here?" At this point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle, and then go straight home and apply for Social Security benefits.

Emo had no clue. I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, "I think you left this in my truck by mistake." I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly apologized.
She offered these kind words: "It's OK. My grandfather does stuff like this all the time."

All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40. Yes, I was racing some punk kid in a Toyota Prius.. And no, I told the officer, I'm not too old to be driving this fast.
As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly sat in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blanky.

The good news was I had successfully found my way home.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Sadly....it's not going to get any better either!

PDAMHIKT

Mike Henderson
02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
That is too funny. Laughed all the way through.

Mike

[Good writing, also.]

Belinda Barfield
02-10-2010, 1:09 PM
LOL . . . I feel your pain. I have arrived. I recently went from mid back length hair, to really short hair. Last night a male acquaintance asked if I was going to let my hair grow long again. I said probably. He said "Well, at your age you really shouldn't let it grow past shoulder length." :eek:

At my age . . . really? Just because he sells hair care products he thinks he's an expert! The nerve! :D

Dave Ogren
02-10-2010, 1:41 PM
Great story in the begining.... sorry about the ticket.....but that shows your true age. Old people don't race they nap at the stop light.

But the part about getting the senior discount, I don't think that you should feel at all bad about that. I have been getting that since I was about 43. That is what it is all about, save some money and let them think whatever they want.

Congratulations,

Dave

mickey cassiba
02-10-2010, 2:05 PM
Got my first "senior" discount last week...just turned 53 last month. Oh well, 50 cents is fifty cents! As long as they don't start calling me "Pops"...
Mick

Brian Brown
02-10-2010, 2:22 PM
Myk,

I don't want to revel in your pain, but that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I hope you left out the last sentence of " and then I woke up". I'll be laughing all day. I'm sure I'll be with a client this afternoon, and suddenly bust out laughing.. I'm sure he will look at me and think "you senile old geiser".

Thanks for the laugh. I'm sure it won't ease the pain of a $300.00 speeding ticket, but thanks anyway.

Ben Franz
02-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Too, too funny! Thanks for the laugh, Myk. LOML is 1 year older than me. A few years ago some cashier or waitress gave me the senior discount and didn't even ask her if she was eligible. I'm still hearing about it. Sigh....

Randal Stevenson
02-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Could you use a larger font in a different color? Some of use are getting old.:rolleyes:

Mike Sheppard
02-11-2010, 12:13 PM
At 73 I am getting called SWEETY or HONEY by all women with their real hair color, when I was younger I would have liked that, its like say something nice to this gizzer we may not see him agin.
Mike

Bryan Morgan
02-11-2010, 4:28 PM
I'm only in my 30's and I'm starting to do that stuff more and more.

I also can't relate to anything that the "kids" are doing these days.... I don't understand half of what they say with their newfangled lingo and the other half I do understand makes me want to punch them.... Their music sucks.

I get way too many of those "you know, when I was your age... yadda yadda" moments....

Getting old sucks. :D

Ben Franz
02-11-2010, 8:09 PM
Getting old sucks. :D

Until you consider the alternative.

Rod Sheridan
02-11-2010, 8:29 PM
Myk, that's funny!

A few years ago I was out on the BMW, travelling at a slightly elevated speed, when I got stopped by the police.

First comment from the twenty something young officer when I took off my helmet was " Oh, you're older than I was expecting". Gee, make me feel old or what.

Regards, Rod

Michael Weber
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
85mph? Not funny. WTH were you thinking? :confused: Don't tell me. I don't really care, just kind of outraged. Be sure and laugh when your insurance comes due.

Myk Rian
02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
OK people. It really didn't happen to me. It was something a buddy sent me. :)

Colin Giersberg
02-12-2010, 12:29 AM
At 73 I am getting called SWEETY or HONEY by all women with their real hair color, when I was younger I would have liked that, its like say something nice to this gizzer we may not see him agin.
Mike

Mike, you live in the wrong part of the country. Move down to Alabama (probably most southern states are like this to some point), and you will be called "sugar, sweetie, or honey" by several women, usually in the small town cafes. You not only get your fill of good food, but also your fill of compliments.

Regards, Colin