PDA

View Full Version : telemarketers

Bruce Koch
02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I have been getting many annoying phone calls from a bank with the initials WF. They keep wanting a person that does not live here. We keep telling them that and to take our number off the list. They say fine we will do that and 2 hours later the same call. We've had at least 30 calls. What do you do?

Bob Glenn
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Sounds like they're tracking down a dead beat rather than telemarketing. Are they calling on a land line? If so just ask for a new phone number.

Myk Rian
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Next time tell them you have talked with your attorney, and will sue for invasion of privacy. Worked for me.

Belinda Barfield
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Bruce,

I had the same problem last year, different creditor. They were looking for someone with the last name of Williams. After several discussions about the difference in the last names, and stating repeatedly that I was not related to the person they were looking for, I asked to speak to the person's supervisor. This was after daily calls for two weeks. It took another week for my number to get removed from their records.

Mr. Williams was one of my neighbors three years ago but I never met him. I'm sure he randomly picked a bogus number to give out, but I sure wish it wasn't mine.

Try asking for a supervisor. If you can call block, just block the number.

Eddie Watkins
02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I've been getting 1 or 2 calls a night from 800 or 866 numbers. When I answer nobody is talks. I think they are telemarketers but can't be sure. I'm on the no call list but evidently there is a way around it.

David G Baker
02-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I have one of those little Radio Shack black boxes that filters out 99% of the unwanted calls that are computer generated, asking to talk to a supervisor filters out the rest.

Lee Schierer
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Usually you need to ask for a supervisor and explain that they have the wrong number for their client and that if they persist you will file a complaint. Or if they have a call back number call that number and explain the problem.

When all else fails try an air horn.......:D

Pat Germain
02-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Tell WF to go ahead and repo the car.

Dave Ogren
02-10-2010, 1:34 PM
Talk to a supervisor, get their name and fax number. then put it in writting and fax it to them several times and it will stop for a year or so. Then you might have to do it again. Worked for me.
Good Luck,

Dave

Matt Meiser
02-10-2010, 2:24 PM
Call WF's corporate headquarters and dail or ask for the CEOs office by name. You won't get him (probably, but I did talk to the CEO of Tween Brands a few months ago) but an admin will probably take it serious and make something happen.

Joe Pelonio
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I've been getting 1 or 2 calls a night from 800 or 866 numbers. When I answer nobody is talks. I think they are telemarketers but can't be sure. I'm on the no call list but evidently there is a way around it.
That's a call center. I had a customer that used that system before the "do not call" list, now he sends people door-to-door. :mad:

The computer makes the calls, and the human only picks up after you answer, if not already on the phone. Sometimes it could take 10-15 seconds, but meanwhile you hang up and the computer tries again later. While legitimate bill collectors use this too, most of the annoying ones are the result of filling out entries to contests at fairs or stores to win a prize. That gets them around the "do not call" because you have given them written permission to call by filling out the entry blank.

Mike Hall1
02-11-2010, 2:43 AM
How to prank a telemarketer.

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

Mike

George Sanders
02-11-2010, 7:40 AM
God I love that. I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Bruce Koch
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Mike, how do you keep from busting out laughing when doing this? No phone calls yesterday, maybe they had there quota for the week.

Stephen Tashiro
02-11-2010, 1:59 PM
Although I'm used to reading scam emails, I was very surprised to get a similar scam phone call. It was something like this:

ME: Hello?

X: Hello, is this Stephen?

ME: Yes. Who's calling.

X: [ speaks without an accent but as if he is reading the words from a paper] This is Charles Metz of United Parcel Service. I am calling in regards to a check for 205 million dollars that is to be delivered to your address today.

ME: Send it right over. [ Then I hung up.]

Dave Hartunian
02-11-2010, 7:21 PM
Back when I had a land line and the they would call and ask for my wife I would tell them she was in jail. Some even asked me for what. I usually tell them for murder, or fraud. Even the folks from India quit calling!!!!!

David Freed
02-11-2010, 8:25 PM
I guess most people think they have to answer a ringing phone. I have a surefire way of not talking to telemarketers. I have caller ID. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Many times I won't even get out of my chair to see who is calling. If it's someone I need or want to talk to, I just call them back.

Gary Chester
02-12-2010, 6:38 PM
If I'm in the right mood, and I know its a telemarketer, when they ask me if this is Gary, I respond with " no, hang on just a sec, I'll get him". Then I set the phone down and go back to watching TV...

I enjoy wasting THEIR time...