PDA

View Full Version : Ordered lathe, designing stand

James Henderson
02-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I just ordered the Delta 46-460 from ToolNut (my first lathe) and am investigating stand options. I've searched related threads on this forum and have seen some very nice, attractive designs.

I especially like the utility and functionality of the ShopNotes Issue 67 design, but I am concerned about the comfort and usability of a lathe perched atop any rectangular cabinet with shelves and drawers.

Not having used a lathe at all, let alone one mounted on a cabinet, it seems that the ergonomic design of a cabinet-style base are poor compared to the standard-issue metal frame offered by Delta. With the Delta frame, one could readily access all lathe components without leaning or reaching awkwardly.

If the lathe were justified toward the operator, on a 6-8" deep, torsion-box shelf providing a generous toe-kick region, I think the lathe would be much more comfortable to use. But perhaps it'd be difficult to keep the lathe stable on such a cabinet.

I imagine that turning can be time consuming so it seems worthwhile to carefully consider the stand's ergonomics as well as it's utility. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Aaron Wingert
02-10-2010, 12:38 AM
You're not making a mountain out of a molehill. I'd wait for that lathe to arrive before committing to a stand design. I have my lathe on a cabinet-style workbench, but it also has ample toe space underneath the front face, which is important. It works great for me. An open stand would work just as well, provided it is rock solid. Personally, I like to have lots of counter space close at hand so I have a place to set all my chucks, calipers, mandrels, and on and on and on and on. So, mounting the lathe on the counter makes sense to me. But my lathe isn't a big lathe by any means either.

Whatever you go with, just plan on making it as heavy and solid as you can. What works for every other tool in the shop will be too flimsy and lightweight for a lathe when you get an unbalanced blank spinning!

Bernie Weishapl
02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Congrats on the new lathe and myself I would wait for the lathe to build the stand. But that is just me.

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 7:53 AM
This will violate every instructional DVD you watch. But, here goes.

Shortly after I started turning, I experienced severe, I mean SEVERE, spasms in the tendons surrounding my knee. They would literally take me to the floor, and prevented me from getting decent rest at night. They went on for over two weeks, with no apparent cause.

I was at the lathe one day and noticed that I was keeping my left leg tensed the entire time I was turning - even in doing finishing cuts or spindle work where body position and movement may not be as critical. I suddenly realized the source of the problem.

So, and here is the violation, I began placing my left foot on the shelf of the lathe stand as I turn. It kept me from tensing up, and also really helped my back. I know if probably affects my weight distribution, and how one is instructed to move with cuts, but I seem to have adapted to it rather well. Most importantly, the spasms are gone and I can sleepl

My stand works very well for me now. The shelf is about 10", give or take, from the floor, and a perfect height for my foot. It is large enough to permit a box of drawers about 4 feet long, and still allow foot room. It has toe clearance, and the lathe is situated toward the edge so that I do not have to reach or bend over to get to the lathe. That is important for me, as I am only 5'7".

But, the shelf is the most important feature of my lathe stand, and it is there, at the correct height, quite by accident!!

The reason for the long post is just to say this. Depending on your age, your physical condition, and your turning habits, ergonomics can make a HUGE difference.

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2010, 8:58 AM
James - just plan on lots of leg room and you'll be fine. Looking forward to seeing the photos of your setup - once the lathe arrives!

Bob Haverstock
02-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I especially like the utility and functionality of the ShopNotes Issue 67 design, but I am concerned about the comfort and usability of a lathe perched atop any rectangular cabinet with shelves and drawers.

Not having used a lathe at all, let alone one mounted on a cabinet, it seems that the ergonomic design of a cabinet-style base are poor compared to the standard-issue metal frame offered by Delta. With the Delta frame, one could readily access all lathe components without leaning or reaching awkwardly.

If the lathe were justified toward the operator, on a 6-8" deep, torsion-box shelf providing a generous toe-kick region, I think the lathe would be much more comfortable to use. But perhaps it'd be difficult to keep the lathe stable on such a cabinet.

I imagine that turning can be time consuming so it seems worthwhile to carefully consider the stand's ergonomics as well as it's utility. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

James,

I have my midi lathe clamped to the top of a cheap folding work table. The setup seems to be 90% of what I want. I would recommend that you follow a similar path. There are just some things that need to guided by personnal experience and other physical considerations. I haven't found that perfect design, there are just too many trade offs.

In the past, I have build stands for tools in anticipation, only to find out that I'm as dumb as I look.

Bob

Thom Sturgill
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
James, I have the Jet 1220VS, which is a little heavier than the Delta (100# vs 90#) do this may not apply depending on what you turn. I have my jet on a table not bolted down and usually without the extension connected. On the rare occasion when I have turned an out of balance piece, I can clamp the lathe to the bench for stability until I get the piece in balance. My shop area is small and the table is jammed in place and not particularly movable. Having the lathe movable on the stand allows me to shift the lathe slightly when I need to access the turning from the tail-stock end such as when doing hollow forms.

Despite measurements and advice on height, I found that I needed to lower the table top after I had been turning awhile (I'm also only 5' 7") . I was experiencing back and shoulder pains which were alleviated when I lowered the table about 3".

Things to consider when designing your work area...

BTW, if the Delta had been available when I bought the Jet, I probably would have bought it instead.

Clark Harbaugh
02-10-2010, 4:16 PM
My 2 cents:
Definitely wait until you get the lathe. Ergonomics are important (room for feet, ability to access the entire lather, height, etc) as is the type of turning you will be doing. If you only intend on pens and bottle stoppers, then you dont necessarily need a heavy duty base. If you are going to turn irregular stock (bowls, etc) then you need something that wil help absorb any vibrations. I used adjustable saw horses to figure out how high I wanted the bed. In my shop, everything has to remain mobile, so I built mine on casters.

On each end of mine is a large hollow leg that is filled with sand. There is also a trough that connects the two legs at the bottom that is filled with sand as well. I have roughly 180lb of sand in it, and even though is it on caster, it is incredibly stable with large stock that is out of balance. I formed the end legs by creating two posts that are made from laminating 2x4's together. Complete the leg frame by adding a single 2x4 stretcher across the bottom. I then skinned both sodes with 1/2 ply. The top is double 3/4" ply with a replaceable 1/8" hardwood on top (I have done this to all of my benches). I then built a drawer under the top that has a couple of dividers in it to seperate tools from finishing from pen stock. If interested, I could take a couple of pics and post them.

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 4:38 PM
If interested, I could take a couple of pics and post them.Clark, welcome to the creek!! And, before others have a chance to chastize you, pics are nearly a requirement!!!:D

Clark Harbaugh
02-10-2010, 4:56 PM
Clark, welcome to the creek!! And, before others have a chance to chastize you, pics are nearly a requirement!!!:D

Ah, forgive me oh great one!:) I should have known better. Here are a couple of poor quality pics from my phone (digital camera on the fritz). I forgot to mention my low budget tool management on the end (and also around the back side). I picked these up from the big blue store. They keep the tools handy while keeping thing mobile...

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 5:08 PM
Ah, forgive me oh great one!:) Your transgression has been absolved! Nice setup, BTW!

Bob Borzelleri
02-10-2010, 9:41 PM
I am perfectly happy with my Nova 1642. Why, then, do I keep clicking on all the Delta 46-460 postings?:confused:

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
I am perfectly happy with my Nova 1642. Why, then, do I keep clicking on all the Delta 46-460 postings?:confused:Bob, you are simply feeling the lonliness of your Nova - it wants a little friend!

James Henderson
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I decided to punt. I ordered the standard metal stand, so that I can focus on learning to turn and not have to build a stand immediately.

I'm sure that after I use this for a while, I'll be in a much better position to build something that overcomes whatever limitations become apparent. ToolNut sells the Delta stand for $129, which seems reasonable to buy some time and immediate experience with the machine.

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 11:03 PM
James, I don't think you will be disappointed. I played with the Delta at Woodcraft one evening, and it was set up on the Delta stand, w/extension. Nice setup, very solid. As I recall, you can also put a shelf on it, and a box/drawers, etc. if wanted.

Mike Ragsdale
02-11-2010, 12:57 AM
I have seen alot of well made highly personalized lathe stands on this site. I am collecting ideas in case I have the opportunity to get a smaller lathe. Here is a link to one that has some ergonomic appeal and versatility. Go to huntcountywoodturners.org then click on club projects and then sit down lathe. This stand works well with the smaller Jet type lathes and could be engineered to handle the 46-460.

Sean Ackerman NY
02-11-2010, 1:23 AM
I decided to punt. I ordered the standard metal stand, so that I can focus on learning to turn and not have to build a stand immediately.

I'm sure that after I use this for a while, I'll be in a much better position to build something that overcomes whatever limitations become apparent. ToolNut sells the Delta stand for $129, which seems reasonable to buy some time and immediate experience with the machine.

Jim, we both seem to be night owls on the forums!

We had the 46-460 Delta VS Midi setup in the front of the shop for about 4 months with stand and extension stand. It was extremely solid and we all spent some time turning on it...if you could call my technique(s) wood turning.

What stands out to me is how robust, solid and well situated the stand makes this lathe. It turns it into something a bit more than we all expected. I think you'll see what I mean when it gets to you. You'll be very pleased. I certainly was.

Bob Borzelleri
02-11-2010, 2:33 AM
Bob, you are simply feeling the lonliness of your Nova - it wants a little friend!

John...

I think that the next step after entering the Vortex is anthropomorphizing your lathe. I fear we are all doomed.:rolleyes:

John Keeton
02-11-2010, 7:46 AM
Mike, that is a neat idea on the sit down stand! Thanks for the post.