PDA

View Full Version : Madrone burl wood curing

Karl Stowe
02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Does any know if I coat both sides of burl wood slabs when trying to cure them? I will have pics soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Karl,

There is a guy who posts in the turning forum. IIRC...all he turns is Madrone burl...his signature is his nickname...Robo Hippy...he would be a good person to whom to address this question. When I find his name, I will post it here.

Karl....if you don't hear from anyone....PM or email Reed Gray. He's a turner and IIRC....all he turns is Madrone

Karl Stowe
02-10-2010, 9:18 PM
All I can find out for now is that you coat both cut sides of the slabs because the grain is going every which way and needs to be sealed. But I dont get how the wood will dry out if it is sealed over?

Thanks,
Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2010, 9:21 PM
Karl,

Sealing the grain just slows down the drying process which is supposed to help reduce cracking and checking.

Madrone is a horse of a different color.

PM or email Reed Gray or Bob Smalser....They would both probably have experience with Madrone.

Karl Stowe
02-10-2010, 9:48 PM
Ken, thanks for the contacts and I have sent a PM to Reed. I will try to PM Bob here soon.

Karl

Karl Stowe
02-11-2010, 8:19 PM
So here are some pics as promised.

For now I have them under plastic and a small bucket of water to help prevent them from drying out until I can get Anchorseal on them on Sunday. They are 2" in thickness and seamed to be holding their moisture to the touch. Thanks to Ken, Bob, and Reed for their help and we will see what happens to the wood.

Karl