PDA

View Full Version : Rigid 13" planer (grey vs orange)

Richard Andersen
02-09-2010, 9:30 PM
I've been looking on Craig's List for some sort of cheap/affordable planer to get me started in woodworking. I have come across a few older grey colored Rigid's running $225-275. I can't find any info/specs on theses older machines, internet searches so far keep popping up the newer orange planers. How do the grey machines compare to the orange one's?? Do they both have 3 knive cutter heads? Do the older ones have some type of chip/dust collection? The $225 planer is 8-9 yrs old, comes on a rigid stand and the supposedly runs and planes great. Don't the grey rigid tools come with a lifetime warranty that follows the tool and not limited to the original purchaser??

I also found a Dewalt 733 for $175, how is this planer compared to the 744 that got good reviews in current WOOD mag review. Unfortunatly the Home Depots in my area stopped carrying the Dewalt 735 some time back, so I missed out on the crazy 735 deals some are getting currently.

James Carmichael
02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Richard,

I have the grey version of the TP1300 doubt if there's any difference beyond color. I'm very happy with it after 6 years, and, though it's my first planer, I doubt you could ask for a better value in an entry-level planer, though there may be others out there.

I can tell you with 99.99999% certainty the "liftetime" warranty is probably no good to the current owner and 100% that it will not transfer. I bought mine new when they grey models were being replaced, and did not get the warranty (I think it was 3-year at the time, anyway).

I see lots of new WWers get excited about Ridgid based the "lifetime warranty", but, caveat emptor, read the fine print. Some of the reports I've heard are that it's nearly impossible to claim. SIL is a master electrician who couldn't replace his cordless batteries without original receipt and UPC. Good luck finding those. IIRC, he mentioned some other caveat that made the warranty largely worthless.

On the used TP1300: no way I'd give $225 one that wasn't NIB. On the plus side: word on the street is Ridgid stationary tools are being clearanced for newer models, so some diligent searching could score you a new one for even less money (I've heard as little as $199). Even without the warranty, they're great entry-level WW tools, though the bandsaw may be a little iffy (I have that too, and find it fine for the money).

Paul Ryan
02-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Richard,

The newer model ridgids are orange. The lastest model is the R4330 a 3 knife cutter head. It is a real nice planner. But don't pay $200 for a older one and I wouldn't go over $270 for the newest model. I just sold my R4330 that was 3 years old for $225. There are a bunch of the ridgids for sale right now because of the dewalt 735 that was on clearance at home depot. A new ridgid will cost $370, so a 8-9 year one should be in the $150 range at the most. And I think most of the grey models will be in the 5 year old or older. The other orange one the T1300 I think it is. It was a 2 blade head design, and you must lock the columns when planing, it also came with a stand. The new one does not come with a stand. Both are good machines.

Karl Card
02-09-2010, 10:13 PM
i bought a ridgid 4330 reconditioned for 263 about a year ago thru http://www.cpooutlets.com/recon.html. It also came with a year warranty. You can also check ebay for some good buys also. My honest opinion is that I would not pay 225 for the used one.

Dane Tyler
02-10-2010, 12:37 AM
The Dewalt 733 is the older version of the currently sold 734, but it has two blades instead of three. My dad used one for years, and it was a very good planer. If the price was just a bit cheaper, and it seemed to be in good shape, it might be a reasonable deal.

Also, I've noticed that some Sears have been clearancing some of their Craftsman planers for around $250 (regular price was over $400). You might want to check with your local store and see if you could luck up on one of those.

Good luck!

tyler mckee
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
I have a dw733, bought it used a few months ago for $175 with an extra set of knives. Great planer once i got the knives sharpened and in/outfeed tables adjusted. almost no spine and great cut quality.

Richard Andersen
02-10-2010, 1:31 AM
Thanks for the responses and the info regarding the warranties. I thought I had read here on a few occasions that the grey Rigid tool line had lifetime warranty that followed the tool and not the original purchaser. James comments pretty much echos what I heard on more than one of the construction / remodeler forum sites about Rigid cordless tools and batteries....the "lifetime" warranty was very misleading many found out. Does Rigid's website still have a forums section, because I think I heard some grummbling there about the Lifetime warranty and all the fine print, etc.

Hugh Jardon
02-10-2010, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the responses and the info regarding the warranties. I thought I had read here on a few occasions that the grey Rigid tool line had lifetime warranty that followed the tool and not the original purchaser. James comments pretty much echos what I heard on more than one of the construction / remodeler forum sites about Rigid cordless tools and batteries....the "lifetime" warranty was very misleading many found out. Does Rigid's website still have a forums section, because I think I heard some grummbling there about the Lifetime warranty and all the fine print, etc.

Yes it does have a forum.

The Lifetime Service Agreement is not as good as the prior warranty, but it is still outstanding in comparison with other manufacturers. The current warranty situation is as follows:

1. Three year standard warranty.
2. 90 day satisfaction warranty, can be returned for full refund, no questions asked.
3. Lifetime Service Agreement. MUST BE REGISTERED WITHIN 90 DAYS OF PURCHASE. Requires serial no, model no, UPC and receipt to register. Applies only to original purchaser of the tool. Not transferable. For service under LSA, the owner must take the tool to a RIDGID approved service center. There are many of these. (My closest one is in fact nearer than the HD where the tools were bought, and that's only 3 miles away). Upon proof of LSA eligibility, the tool will be repaired with free parts and labor and shipped back to the owner.

That sounds pretty good to me, and is one reason why nearly all of my tools are orange!

Richard Andersen
02-11-2010, 3:04 PM
What's your guys thoughts on a newer R4330 orange planer with stand used for 2 projects and advertised to be in new condition for $250?? From the response email it's mine if I want it, would have drive about 60 miles to see it, can't tell much from pictures except stand looks like it was made for the planer (don't know if Rigid makes stands for these or if it's a universal stand from an aftermarket maker).

Hugh Jardon
02-11-2010, 3:26 PM
$250. Add a set of blades ($30). $280. Add 120 miles of gas. Say 5 gallons, what's that, another $15-20? So already you're into the 300 range.

If you get the receipt from him, you may have some of the original warranty (but not the LLSA). If not, you have nothing.

A new one is $370. Get them to price match a Lowe's coupon or open an account. 10% off. So $330.

Personally, the peace of mind is worth the extra to me. Furthermore, for the last couple of Aprils, HD have had the "Ultimate Power Deal", where you can get as much as 30% discount on new tools. If you bought one now, you would still be in the 90 day return warranty from RIDGID if the promotion comes back on this April. I wouldn't depend on this, not all HD staff will play ball, but it would be worth a try.

I certainly would not buy a used one for $250 that's an hour's drive away if I could get a lifetime warranted one for effectively $30 more. If the used one was $100, then it's a different story. But then I wouldn't sell mine for $100 either.

Tom Hargrove
02-11-2010, 4:19 PM
The 4330 did not come with a stand, but it has a three blade head, and an improved design that does not need a column lock. I have had one for three years or so, and really like it, although I paid less than $300 new.

Even though I like the machine, I agree that a price of $270, even with a stand, is too much money for this planer. I also don't think the number of projects is a good measure of use. Were the "projects" desktop boxes or workbenches? The first project I used my planer for generated more than 60 gallons of chips and dust!

Paul Ryan
02-11-2010, 6:51 PM
What's your guys thoughts on a newer R4330 orange planer with stand used for 2 projects and advertised to be in new condition for $250?? From the response email it's mine if I want it, would have drive about 60 miles to see it, can't tell much from pictures except stand looks like it was made for the planer (don't know if Rigid makes stands for these or if it's a universal stand from an aftermarket maker).

Personally I think that is a good deal. I would if you check out the blades, say only one side is used. Then it has seen light use unless it is on its second set of blades. And that is easy to check look at the screws for the blades, if they are mared up then the blades have been changed. It is a nice planer and a good price for $250. If you buy a new one you still have to pay sales tax. And from what I have heard don't put too much weight into the lifetime warranty. It depends on whose and what's lifetime. In MN a new planer would still run $360 after sales tax and wouldn't have a stand.