PDA

View Full Version : Multi- Router in The House! (Gloat)

richard poitras
02-09-2010, 9:05 PM
Multi- Router in The House! (Gloat)
I just received my new but used $900.00 Multi- Router all the way from Colorado. Now I need to know from all you Multi- Router owners/users what is the best router to use on this system.And where can I find a manual for this unit?

Thanks Richard

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, You Suck on loan awaiting pictures (and a super sweet deal on some Matchmaker templates!!!).

John (JDS John) was running his at '08 IWF with a Bosch.
Did you get teh air clamps?

Why do you need a manual?? :) I would call John for that.

Chip Lindley
02-09-2010, 11:11 PM
NO Pix, It Never Happened! But you are an honorable man and I believe you! Hard to believe, but $900 IS a gloat, considering the List Price of these Babies! Contrats Richard!

richard poitras
02-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Yeah, You Suck on loan awaiting pictures (and a super sweet deal on some Matchmaker templates!!!).

John (JDS John) was running his at '08 IWF with a Bosch.
Did you get teh air clamps?

Why do you need a manual?? :) I would call John for that.

Mike I looked on their site for a PDF file of it and it’s not on there, I guess I will have to send him an e-mail about it. It did not come with the Air clamps but it did come with 3 instead of the standard 2 ……I guess I got ripped off….:eek::D

Richard

richard poitras
02-10-2010, 12:02 AM
NO Pix, It Never Happened! But you are an honorable man and I believe you! Hard to believe, but $900 IS a gloat, considering the List Price of these Babies! Contrats Richard!

Chip, it was just luck on my part I wasn’t even really looking for one (gave up on that about a year ago) but I was in a Craig’s list nation search engine and just thought I would put in Multi-Router and see what would come up and out of 50 states only one came up and it was in Colorado and the post was only 20 minutes old. I was the first one to e-mail him. The guy bought out a shop and had about 10 different tools he was selling, he really didn’t even know what a Multi-Router was, he got the DVD from JDS to check it out but had no interest in keeping it.( I think it was a little over whelming for him by the way he talked) I worked a out the deal with him as fast as I could and now I have a new toy to play with….(needs a little cleaning up but that’s no big deal)

Richard

Chris McGee
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Has anyone ever checked out this guys site? His name is Matthias Wandel and he's an engineer, he has a awesome woodworking site at http://woodgears.ca/index.html

he made his own multi router type machine and sells plans for it
check it out, i plan to buy the plans and make one
http://woodgears.ca/slot_mortiser/index.html

-chris

michael case
02-10-2010, 8:35 AM
Most these gloats put me to sleep. I usually already own what they have or better. But $900.00 for a multi router. ERRRRRRRR! Have fun!

James Carmichael
02-10-2010, 8:46 AM
No pics, no gloat:-)

richard poitras
02-10-2010, 2:01 PM
Now I need to know from all you Multi- Router owners/users what is the best router to use on this system.And where can I find a manual for this unit?

Thanks Richard

Anybody have one that can help me out wth the above questions????

Tom Davis
02-10-2010, 2:29 PM
Anybody have one that can help me out wth the above questions????

Richard:

You can purchase the manual from JDS - there is not a lot to it compared to other manuals, but spend the $25.

I have the predecessor to the Bosch 1617 router on my multi-router. If I were replacing mine, that's what I would buy.

good luck

Tom

Andrew W. Thomas
02-10-2010, 3:09 PM
Has anyone ever checked out this guys site? His name is Matthias Wandel and he's an engineer, he has a awesome woodworking site at http://woodgears.ca/index.html

he made his own multi router type machine and sells plans for it
check it out, i plan to buy the plans and make one
http://woodgears.ca/slot_mortiser/index.html

-chris

That is a very impressive site. Makes me rethink some of the things I was planning to buy.

Chip Lindley
02-10-2010, 6:10 PM
Many of us are not made of money! We waited a long time to acquire better and more expensive tools. After 25 years of woodworking, I now finally have some pretty nice machinery (all bought used from CL, eBay, or local auctions) I count my gloats as blessings and am far from bored!

The inability to share in the excitement of another woodworker's newly-acquired gloat, is sad. To wake up in the morning, owning one of everything, and still be bored, is even sadder.

richard poitras
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Tom thanks for the reply on which router you are using …

Stephen Edwards
02-11-2010, 1:44 AM
many of us are not made of money! We waited a long time to acquire better and more expensive tools. After 25 years of woodworking, i now finally have some pretty nice machinery (all bought used from cl, ebay, or local auctions) i count my gloats as blessings and am far from bored!

The inability to share in the excitement of another woodworker's newly-acquired gloat, is sad. To wake up in the morning, owning one of everything, and still be bored, is even sadder.

amen...............

Thomas S Stockton
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I use Porter-Cable 690 in mine. I used to use a bosch. Both work fine.
Tom

Sam Layton
02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Richard,

Great job on the Multi-Router, you will be very happy with it. I have a Bosch, I think 2hp, variable speed in mine. The Bosch runs smooth and quiet. Make sure that you get a variable speed on what ever kind of router you decide on. I do not know what happened to my manual, it must be in a safe place...

Sam

richard poitras
02-11-2010, 8:55 PM
Hi Richard,

Great job on the Multi-Router, you will be very happy with it. I have a Bosch, I think 2hp, variable speed in mine. The Bosch runs smooth and quiet. Make sure that you get a variable speed on what ever kind of router you decide on. I do not know what happened to my manual, it must be in a safe place...

Sam

Sam, why do you recommend the variable speed option? It seems to me all you would mostly run is small diameter bits? Or I am I missing something?

Thanks Richard

Sam Layton
02-12-2010, 1:30 AM
Richard,

Sometimes I make 1/2" mortises with a long bit, and the high speed is to fast. I just turn the speed up until it is smooth running, and it cuts great. Right now I am making 1/4" mortises, and I don't run it on high speed. I just start the router on low speed, turn it up until it sounds good and feels smooth. It is nice to be able to adjust the router speed to match the bit you are using.

Sam

michael case
02-12-2010, 8:36 AM
Richard,

Glad I keptr following this thread. Sorry about the miscommunication. I mean most of them bore me, but not yours. I'm totally jealous. I've wanted a multi router for years and keep getting put off by the price. That was a jealous ERRRRRRR! $900 is amazing. Enjoy the new machine!

Marty Paulus
02-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Hmmm. Three days and no pics. Not sure about this Gloat:D

Mike Heidrick
02-12-2010, 9:03 PM
I saw the CL post on CO and it was $900 and he did tell me a deal on matchmaker templates might be coming my way so I think he is serious.

richard poitras
02-12-2010, 9:41 PM
Hay Mike that picture on CL didn’t look that good nor did it show much did it. But I do have it in my possession and I talked to JDS about a couple small parts that were missing. One question I have for those that have one is do you use the Side rod with the Sliding Stop accessory much and or is it worth buying? (It’s the rod that hooks to the table by the hinge and is inserted about an inch then set with a set screw)

Thanks Richard

Thomas S Stockton
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Besides the clamps to hold things down and the plastic locating things it is the only accessory I use.
Tom

Scott Stafford
02-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I chose the Bosch not only for its speed control but also for its depth adjustment.

I too use the speed control depending on the wood and the size of the bit.

I liked the way the depth adjustment physically positioned on the multirouter.

It seems that over the past years that I have turned to hand tools more and more... but I'll never give up my multirouter.

Congrats on the steal!

Scott in Montana