PDA

View Full Version : tightening my belt... Epilog Helix 24x18

Brittany Lorio
02-09-2010, 8:45 PM
Any suggestions for keeping the belt tightened that controls the movement of the lens carriage on the x axis? I'm not certain the specific part number or name, but it's black with teeth on the inner facing side and affixes to each side of the lens carriage with two screws.

It seems I've tightened it at least once a week for the last month... I even tried changing it... but within a week it's always flopping or sagging again. :mad:

Dan Hintz
02-09-2010, 9:56 PM
I don't know what specific part you're talking about, but assuming the part is not worn, I use Loc-Tite on anything that doesn't stay where I initially put it.

Brittany Lorio
02-09-2010, 10:06 PM
This belt is very obviously made to be easily replaceable and has not given me trouble on any of the other machines... it seems more likely that this particular machine is suffering from "not-so-good-vibrations". I was thinking more along the lines of adding something beneath the bar that is secure by the screws, perhaps something rubber to help diminish vibrations... I've just been uncertain wether this may or may not become a fire hazard or other issue.

Peck Sidara
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Brittany,

The belt you're referring to is the x-axis belt. Tightening comes from loosening/adjusting the pivotal arm on the left side of the I-beam (beam assembly) which requires you to remove the left side panel (with the machine unplugged & turned off of course).

The x-axis belt does not stretch easily (Kevlar reinforced) so it sounds like the Phillips head screw which holds its tension is loosening up over a short period of time.

The pivotal arm utilizes a spring to hold it's position, if the spring isn't holding the arm to the ideal location . You might want to try assisting the pivotal arm to it's new location before tightening the screw which holds it in place. *After tightening the screw, use a sharpie or blade to mark the pivotal arms location* You can then use this as a future reference point to determine whether the pivotal arm is moving or something else is causing the belt to loosen up.

As always...303.215.9171 for ultimate solution and recommendations from the pros.

Brittany Lorio
02-12-2010, 2:08 AM
I've temporarily taken my focus from all machines to concentrate on my non-functional one. However, I do very much appreciate your comment and happen to know right off the bat you're probably correct in that there is some movement going about with the pivotal arm. I'll look more into it as soon as time allows and post once I've been able to fix the issue. Thanks again.