PDA

View Full Version : finishing question

Charles Bouchelle
02-09-2010, 8:40 PM
simple question about finishing. After sanding I see that many add BLO to there wood than add some type of coating shellac or poly etc....What does the BLO do? why is it applied?

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2010, 8:45 PM
Most time BLO is used to pop the grain or enhance the grain and the wood. I use Antique Oil which is a varnish/oil blend to do this in I guess you would call it one step finish. Other's use Danish oil.

Charles Bouchelle
02-09-2010, 8:51 PM
thanks for the reply I thought that was the reason but I figured why not ask the question. That antique oil,how is that applied? Brushed on? wipes on while turning?I also see Minwax wipe on poly,how is that applied.I guess after those are dry it is time for buffing ?

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Charles,

Basically, oil based is used to highlight the grain of the wood and water based is used when you do not want to change the color of the wood.

When it comes to finishing - there are no secrets but everyone seems to have their own method of applying that works for them.

Some folks apply the finish while on the lathe and 'push' the drying process by heating the surface through friction - usually holding the applying rag or pad with some additional finish against the turning with the lathe turning at some medium speed.

I like to apply poly off the lathe and while all finishes have the directions on the container - I do the following:

Once the form is finished being turned and sanded I remove it from the lathe and apply the first coat of poly. For this first step I use a 1" sponge brush and try to saturate the wood just like I was using an oil finish. Be sure to wipe off any excess. I let that dry for 24 hours and check for coverage. If the poly got sucked into sections of the form, saturate the form once again and wipe off the excess.

After waiting for 24 hours to let the saturated coat set up, you can then apply the first of many thin coats. I use a paper towel folded up to make a small pad, wipe on a thin coat and let dry for 3 to 5 hours, depending on the temp and humidity. Usually the thin coats dry really fast because they are so thin and should never be thick enough to cause a run. If you miss a spot – try not to go back over as it will lift the existing wet poly. Just make sure to hit the missed spot the next time. The process is more like a French Polish as far as applying the thin coats. I normally apply 2 or 3 coats this way before doing the first light sanding using either a super fine sanding sponge or 600 grit wet/dry sand paper just to knock off the nibs. I repeat the procedure until I have the level of finish (or gloss) that I want - usually 5 to 7 thin coats.

I find the Minwax Wipe On works great when real fresh but starts to dry up as soon as the can is opened. It’s nothing more than regular Poly that has been thinned down so it will flow better and dry faster. When you notice it get thicker (and darker in color) - just add a little mineral spirits and you'll be good to go.

Charles Bouchelle
02-10-2010, 1:27 AM
thanks Steve for the very detailed answer,being new I have alot to learn.