PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum Wood?

Walt Nicholson
02-09-2010, 8:36 PM
I have never gone much past oak, mahogany, maple or walnut for projects but I saw this ad http://spokane.craigslist.org/mat/1590801921.html and was curious if anyone has used this wood for any projects. I Googled it but did not find too much info except that it can be used for furniture, railroad ties, and such, and a fair amount for sale as firewood. Anyone have any experience with it (easy to work with, strength, stainable, etc.)? Also is this a fair price? I was thinking mainly for small furniture, gift boxes, etc. and can resaw it myself. Thanks

Steve Griffin
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Walt,
I did one kitchen out Red Gum which was unused very old T&G someone had stored in a barn.

It was quarter sawn, and had the most wonderful grain patterns. It's super nice to work with--kind of like poplar or alder, and is probably the most stable wood I have used. I could rip 1.75" strips and they would hardly release any movement at all.

Several years after the install, it shows no sign of darkening or lightening.

I suppose it could stain ok, might need a conditioner, but I absolutely hate staining and avoid it at all costs so I'm not one to ask:D

I'd certainly take a look at it and if it looks good, don't hesitate to go for it.

-Steve