PDA

View Full Version : Saved from a scrapyard

George Sanders
02-09-2010, 8:24 PM
Yesterday, while looking around a small local scapyard for some angle iron; I came across an old Emerson made Craftsman table saw. I have 3 of these so I need another one like a hole in the head. (Actually it's cheaper to buy a complete unit than trying to get the repair part you need on fleabay.) Well there it was looking forlorn out there in the snow, soooo, I bought it. Forty bucks. Well; it is complete, although rusty from sitting outside. My intention is to clean it up for a friend of mine down in Kentucky who has been needing a table saw. He's disabled and can't afford something new. It has a 3/4 horse motor that I will swap with a 1HP I have on hand. The table is 20w and 27 deep with a 10" w extension. Rip fence, miter gauge and cast iron pulleys. Both adjusting handles are intact. Right now it's a bit cold to use the spooge tank. When I picked it up I had to chisel one leg out of the ice to get it free. Once it's cleaned up, tuned up and given a proper coat of gray paint it will be a good saw for my friend.

John Humbert
02-09-2010, 8:31 PM
A good find and sounds like your a good friend.

Bruce Page
02-09-2010, 8:35 PM
The little guy looks cold.

I'm sure your friend will thank you!

Mitchell Andrus
02-09-2010, 8:38 PM
There's a reason they don't make extension tables with holes in them anymore. I hope you don't find out why. Take a minute or two if you don't know.

Anybody?

Roy Hess
02-09-2010, 8:40 PM
I have to admit that I like those old Craftsman saws. Lots of negative comments from some, but I feel that they can be good value after a little bit of work to tune them up right. I am on my second Craftsman TS (20 yr old - new to me) and I am quite satisfied. And yes, I to have found that with a bit if searching old saws can be had quite reasonably had. Good Luck with the rebuild !

Callan Campbell
02-09-2010, 9:08 PM
There's a reason they don't make extension tables with holes in them anymore. I hope you don't find out why. Take a minute or two if you don't know.

Anybody?
OK, I'll bite, why? I used to own a Sears Saw with TWO open web cast iron wings, never had an issue. What's the story? :confused::confused::confused:

Michael Peet
02-09-2010, 9:15 PM
George, you are a good friend.

It seems to me it would be possible for a piece of wood to snag the edge of a hole and rotate, causing a kickback.

Mike

Ben Martin
02-09-2010, 9:19 PM
They never made those in red did they? Interesting that if somebody took the time to re-paint it like that why it found that destiny...

Nice snag!

Anthony Whitesell
02-09-2010, 9:19 PM
I don't know what the story is, but I have found two issues on my own. First, things fall through the holes (duh!), so they really limit the horizontal space on which to pile stuff. The second issue comes with bowed wood. The cut starts fine, then the bow drops into a web and catches and stops one end of the board causing a curved cut. Quite annoying really.

I do wonder what the real reason is.

Pete Bradley
02-09-2010, 9:46 PM
That's a good motor if you can get it cleaned up. The sheet metal middle makes disassembly somewhat more annoying than others, but it's otherwise worth the time. Although it doesn't look like it, it's a cap start motor. The cap is in the shape of a cigarette pack hidden in the base. Original bearings are greasable, but centrifugal switch is likely rusted requiring it to be opened up.

Pete

George Sanders
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I have a small stack of these motors in the garage. I am currently working on a 1hp 1725 115series with greasable bearings. When I took the bell covers off I found the bearings were good but there was something rubbing inside. I didn't remove the rotor so this one is going to the repair shop as it is beyond my depth to repair.

This isn't my first complete rebuild of one of these saws. They can be a bit fiddly to deal with but they are well worth the trouble.

No red was never an option on these. They came in blue/gray or gold only.

As far as any dangers of an open wing design are concerned...I've never had any problems with my saw.

Chip Lindley
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Good Junkyard Find! I love snooping amongst piles of scrap for goodies! I enjoy imagining how this and that would fit together to make something on the cheap, which would otherwise cost Big Bucks! My Junkyard Treks have been very theraputic (and profitable)

Mitchell Andrus
02-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I do wonder what the real reason is.

Most of us have never worked with a perforated table. Imagine sliding the fence while dragging a finger... Cut me once, shame on me. Cut me twice I'll scrap that &*%* table......

Van Huskey
02-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Most of us have never worked with a perforated table. Imagine sliding the fence while dragging a finger... Cut me once, shame on me. Cut me twice I'll scrap that &*%* table......

At least the webbing is only on the right side, if it is on the left side a kickback with a wide panel could find a finger in a position to get sheared off.

Scott Hildenbrand
02-10-2010, 1:06 AM
My grandfather owned a cabinet shop and made cabinets all the time on an old craftsman with open web extensions.

Catching a warp is next to impossible.. Look at the extension.. The cross braces are set down by at least 3/4".

Have to be a good sized warp.

I will admit, I always hated using it though as things do fall through, like pencils or whatnot.. And you can catch your finger if you're not careful.

At any rate, nice find.. Good luck cleaning it up and getting it in operation.

Bill Huber
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Here is what I did whit the wings...

Bruce Page had the idea and I just use it on mine, worked really great.

Bottom of this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100610&highlight=extension

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109605&highlight=table+extension)

Troy Turner
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I like the find. Wish I could find something like that just to fix up and have around. I bought a 20+ yr old band saw and table saw, both Craftsman...back then, things were made to last and that's why I bought it. Some cleanup and tune up and they run good as new...AND SOLID!!!!

You're friend is going to be a lucky and happy fella...

David G Baker
02-10-2010, 1:46 PM
I have the newer model of the same Craftsman, bought it used for $135 back in 1967. I bought a new fence, left wing, Kreg miter gage and 1 hp motor. It may not be as good as one of the high end saws but it has served me well for over 40 years.
Great find.

Stephen Edwards
02-10-2010, 2:49 PM
I think that the one that I had was the same model that David mentions. Mine was purchased used circa 1969. I used it until 2000 when I got a Ridgid. I gave the old Craftsman to a friend when I got the new Ridgid.

That saw served me well for 30 years. I never experienced any problems with the webbed wings, which I also have on the Ridgid TS, other than the mentioned hassle of a small piece occasionally falling through to the floor. In fact, there have been times when those openings were useful when I've needed to clamp something to the wings.

mike caruso
02-10-2010, 4:22 PM
Look what i have, no problems with catching anything on mine some day will finish drawers

Karl Card
02-10-2010, 5:53 PM
That is a very touching story and I am sure your friend will appreciate it.

George Sanders
02-10-2010, 5:59 PM
Mike, I really like what you did. That's pretty slick. I've been wanting to do a setup like that for another saw I have. I have seen one with a router table built right into the far right hand side.

mike caruso
02-10-2010, 8:00 PM
Thanks the saw was my fathers he was a carpenter and used that saw all the time in his shop , when i was a child i was afraid of the noise it made and would never watch him when he was useing it, of course i became a carpenter and have had that saw in storage for the last 15 years waiting to set it up in my shop i have all the portable tools for my profesion, cabinet / stairbuilder but i have not set up a real shop till now ! well almost if your looking for a close match for the crafstman paint try the Krylon Rust Tough RTA Battleship Gray it's almost a perfect match, here is some more pictures of old crafstman stuff waiting for the rebuild , lathe, belt sander, bandsaw , to many motors to count, i'm amazed how good the dust collection works on the table saw with the whole back of the saw open also i did cheat and purchased a new crafstman 14" band saw very impressed with its ability to resaw 8" oak like butter

Rick Alexander
02-16-2010, 2:53 PM
recently bought a early 70's vintage (he thinks) 12 inch direct drive craftsman table saw off craig's list - now get this - brand new in the box - never opened. Seems the guy bought it and passed away before he ever set it up and his wife just recently passed too. Their kids found it and sold it as part of the estate. The box was a little messed up and there was a little rust on the sides but all in all - in perfect condition. It came with a steel blade (no carbide). It's also 220 exclusively which I never knew they even sold. Dad already has a couple old Craftsman and a new 1023 Grizzly and certainly didn't need it but didn't have the heart to pass that one up. Says it works like a champ.

Dan Mitchell
02-17-2010, 11:33 PM
George, you are a good friend.
Mike

+1. Can't say I'm nuts about the look of that saw, but I wish I had a friend like George!

Dan Mitchell
02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I have the newer model of the same Craftsman, bought it used for $135 back in 1967. I bought a new fence, left wing, Kreg miter gage and 1 hp motor. It may not be as good as one of the high end saws but it has served me well for over 40 years.
Great find.

David - Out of curiosity I looked up the value of $135 1967 dollars today. $861.36. You can get a pretty decent cabinet saw at Grizzly for that. http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Deluxe-Heavy-Duty-3-HP-Tablesaw/G1023Z Pretty interesting comparison/statement about the market for such items, I think.

Joe Scarfo
02-18-2010, 1:41 PM
I absolutely love visiting steel scrap yards... you never know what you'll find...

The last time I was there, they had fire hydrants.. 30 cents a pound... i'll always regret not having bought a dozen of them...

A table saw... nice find... I liked my craftsman and wish I still had it.

Joe