PDA

View Full Version : SCMS Mobile Work Station

Kent Cori
10-25-2004, 8:51 PM
I finally finished the mobile work station for my Bosch SCMS. I modeled it after the Dual Tool Station in the May/June issue of Shop Notes. The "wings" open to extend the total length to a shade over 8'. (Photo 1)

I made it a little taller and wider than their version and substituted drawers in lieu of the cabinet (Photo 2) they included but otherwise it is a close copy. It is made of oak plywood with oak trim. It is similar in style and construction to my version of the original NYW router table. (Photo 3) I finished it with BLO and four coats of wiped-on semi-gloss poly.

Putting it on casters allows me to wheel it out into the center of the garage workshop when I use it. When not in use, the wings fold down and it nestles nicely between my lathe and drill press. (Photo 5) It fits just below the drill press table so the two actually overlap. (Photo 4)

Michael Stafford
10-25-2004, 9:07 PM
Kent, you make finer cabinetry for your tools than most people have in their homes. Mighty fine, I sure would hate getting it all dirtied up with sawdust :p

Gredo Goldenstein
10-25-2004, 9:23 PM
Awesome station! I love all the drawers. If they're anything like mine, they're all filled up before you even have it built. Nice job :)

Ted Shrader
10-25-2004, 9:28 PM
Kent -

Thanks for posting. Those are exactly the ideas I needed for a stand for my CMS. Have the notebook with measurements in front of me and am doing some computer sketches right now. Cutting plywood tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,
Ted

Jerry Olexa
10-25-2004, 9:37 PM
Nice job!! Looks better than my living room. Excellent work!!:)

John Miliunas
10-25-2004, 9:44 PM
That is sweet, Kent! :D And yes, a great match with the router table. Man, what a set! Compared to some of our furniture, that stuff would indeed look handsome in our living room! :D Good job, Kent! :cool:

James Carmichael
10-25-2004, 9:45 PM
Very nice, Ken.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-25-2004, 9:49 PM
The best SCMS deserves the best table it can be mounted on and you have done it. Very nicely done if I might add.

Scott Parks
10-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Great idea! I like the mobility to roll it out into the driveway if necessary. I'm gonna have to build one too! Oh wait, I don't have a CMS anymore:(

Jack Hogoboom
10-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Very nice solution. This is on my list of things to build, but I haven't yet found a plan that has all the features i'm looking for.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Marshall Harrison
10-26-2004, 7:14 AM
Kent, great looking tool stand. I'll have to get hold of a copy of that May/June issue of Shop Notes.

I'm over in Jacksonville so we are almost neighbors. There's been some interestng football news coming out of Gainesville in the last few days.

Kent Cori
10-26-2004, 9:32 AM
Thanks for the kind words folks. As always, building the work station was as much fun as using it. The Bosch 4410 SCMS is a joy to use and the functionality of the work station adds to it. I can also use the same work station for my portable (yeah, right :rolleyes: ) planer. I have the SCMS mounted on plywood and it is positioned by cleats on the top of the center area. I can simply remove it and replace it with the planer which is mounted on a similar piece of plywood. I haven't done that yet since the planer is already on a mobile base but I may do so in the future.

Marshall, yes after the Gators lost to the SEC league door mats, Zook got the hook! :eek: Of course everyone would like to see Steve Spurier return after his brief, unsuccessful but very profitable sojourn to the Washington Redskins. The rumor is that he is interested but we won't really know anything until the end of the season.

If you ever get over into this neck of the woods, give me a PM and we'll get together.

James Carmichael
10-26-2004, 3:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words folks. As always, building the work station was as much fun as using it. The Bosch 4410 SCMS is a joy to use and the functionality of the work station adds to it. I can also use the same work station for my portable (yeah, right :rolleyes: ) planer. .

I'll have to locate that edition of Shop Notes, that's almost exactly what I'm looking to build as well. Base to table top for both my Ridgid planer and Maktia CMS are right around 3 3/4".

Keith Christopher
10-26-2004, 3:39 PM
Hmmm no sawdust. I think it's photo trickery ! Looks awesome. I'll get to one one day.

Chris Padilla
10-26-2004, 3:58 PM
Sweet and I love the matching...very nice...even for a shop! :D

Bill Karow
10-26-2004, 4:17 PM
Kent -

That is a great looking cart! Which issue number is May/June? I'm fumbling around for that back issue, and the number would be helpful.

And consider your project ideas appropriated. By harvesting the good ideas from all the talented folks here in the Creek, someone looking around my shop who didn't ask my sources might mistakenly think *I'm* creative :)

I'm with you on the coaching changes at my beloved alma mater there in Hogtown. Come back, Spurrier, all is forgiven!

Kent Cori
10-26-2004, 5:34 PM
James and Bill, it was Issue 75 IIRC.

Keith, in honor of the photographic event, I used my portable dust collection system (a.k.a. leaf blower) to get rid of the usual deposits. One advantage with a garage workshop is that all you need to do is open the overhead door, hit the on switch on your trusty leaf blower and presto chango you have a clean shop! Just make sure SWMBO's newly cleaned car is not sitting right outside on the driveway when you do so. DAMHIKT! :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
10-26-2004, 5:37 PM
Kent,

Re: leaf blower That is my favorite way to rid the shop of stuff I can't get to or sweep up easily. I move the car to the other side of the street, don ear-muffs and a dust-mask, and go crazy! :)

Joe Mioux
10-26-2004, 6:21 PM
Hi Kent:
Your thread comes at a great time, I'm finishing up a similar CMS cart and was debating how best to make the flip up wings. Now I know, thank you.

James and Bill, it was Issue 75 IIRC.

Keith, in honor of the photographic event, I used my portable dust collection system (a.k.a. leaf blower) to get rid of the usual deposits. One advantage with a garage workshop is that all you need to do is open the overhead door, hit the on switch on your trusty leaf blower and presto chango you have a clean shop! Just make sure SWMBO's newly cleaned car is not sitting right outside on the driveway when you do so. DAMHIKT! :rolleyes:
You clean your shop the same way I do.:)

Joe