PDA

View Full Version : Bad Scroll Saw?

Ken Kirkley
02-09-2010, 8:12 PM
I was able to pick up a used Craftsman Scroll Saw off of CL for $10. The switch wasn't working, but I figured I could get that fixed easily enough. The unit is Sears model # 113.235501 - 16" direct drive with 1700 spm and a 1725 rpm 2.0 amp motor.

Okay, the switch fix was easy, it was just missing the safety lock key. It runs! But I can't get it to cut anything. It has new blade in it, properly tensioned, but as soon as I put pressure on the blade the motor slows down to a point I could cut faster with dental floss.

Is this a bad motor, bad machine? Should I cut my losses and just throw it away?

Montgomery Scott
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Toss it. Even if you got it running properly you aren't likely to be happy with it, depending on what you are using it for.

I had a crapsman and am very glad I upgraded to an old Hegner. Scrolling is much more fun with a good machine.

Callan Campbell
02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Is it alot of work to remove the motor and inspect it? If you only have to remove a few bolts, you could pull the motor, clamp it against something, and while it's running/on, push a stick of wood against the spinning shaft to how easy it is to stall the motor. Sure, it's no Hegner, but you'd probably like to know if at least the motor is junk before you toss the machine.

Herman Novak
03-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I have the same model scroll saw but the plastic motor case is broken. This broken plastic piece causes the motor rotor to jamb and the motor will not run. Is the plastic motor cover broken on your scroll saw ? Will you sell me the plastic motor cover or will you sell me the entire scroll saw ? Please send me an e-mail so that we can start a discussion. Herman Novak hnovaksouth@comcast.net