PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak

David Ripley
02-09-2010, 8:11 PM
Is there much difference between Northern & Southern Red Oak in appearance? I have home center red oak 3/4" (southern?) but need 8/4 from hardwood suppler (northern). The 8/4 will be for legs (1 1/2" x 1 1/2") Thanks

Richard M. Wolfe
02-09-2010, 8:24 PM
The main difference will likely be in the northern red oak having a tighter graining as the growth is slower in the north. The wood will likely be flat sawn so it depends where in the log it comes from as far as grain pattern. There is enough difference in individual trees that two trees growing side by side could have different appearing wood. I have also gotten wood from each end of a long board and you would think the two cutoffs came from different trees.

That said (and having beaten it to death) the orientation of the legs and the rest of the table will be different and may well make for a different look in the finished wood, even if you used boards from the same tree.

Dennis Ford
02-09-2010, 8:26 PM
There are several varieties of red oak, somewhat hit or miss trying to match from different suppliers.

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Indiana/Michigan red oak matches IL Menards red oak pretty well. I would think you would be fine. If not buy some 4/4 from the same mill as the 8/4. Red oak should be pretty cheap at the mill and should be WAYYYY cheaper than a borg.

Lee Schierer
02-10-2010, 2:07 PM
Red oak varies in color from tree to tree from light brown to pink. I just purchase some "Northern" Red Oak Last weekend and there were brown pieces and red pieces. Fortunately my supplier will let me swap out boards for color match. If you stain the finished piece, much of the color difference is hidden, but not all..