PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to finish

MIKE E BEE
02-09-2010, 7:42 PM
Just letting you guys know that I haven't given up or anything. I havent posted any pics lately becuase i do not have any wood, or wood that I can finish. I have been in the process of gathering wet wood from my property and elsewhere and I am giving the DNA drying process a wirl. Thanks to whoever posted the David Smith link on alchohol soaking a couple of weeks ago.

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

I do have a bunch of rough outs turned and they are all at different stages of the drying process. So far so good to this point. The bowls seem to be losing between 1 and 1 1/2 ounces per day. I don't see any of them warping or checking. I am hoping my first set will be dry this week otherwise I might just have to go to Rockler and buy a few pieces to finish. I am starting to show signs of withdrawel here.:(

Steve Schlumpf
02-09-2010, 7:50 PM
We always like photos of works in progress! That way we can see the mess, the rough out and then the finished product a little later! Plus, if you are gathering wood - wood gloats are always appreciated!

Bernie Weishapl
02-09-2010, 8:12 PM
Ditto what Steve said. Plus have patience. I got in a hurry at first and finished some bowls. Sat them in the house displayed and proud as I could be. About a week later was looking at them 4 of them to be exact and three had cracked. I absolutely know it was because I was in a hurry to get some bowls done. Patience.

Ray Bell
02-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Doncha hate it when that happens. It's like not having a book to read at night. I have been known to panic, get up in the middle of the night, to find a store open that carries books.

Ray

Scott Lux
02-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I understand that Bowl Withdrawal is often treated with pen turning. Want me to send a blank your way?

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I am starting to show signs of withdrawel here.:(An addict in the throws of withdrawal is never a pretty sight!!:eek:;):D