PDA

View Full Version : Shapton stones?

David Gendron
02-09-2010, 7:15 PM
Can Shapton glass stone be flatened using something else than there flatening plate?

Mike Henderson
02-09-2010, 7:17 PM
Sure. You can flatten them with a DMT diamond plate.

Mike

Brian Kent
02-09-2010, 7:39 PM
According to Bill at Craftsman Studio:

"You can flatten the GlassStones on 220 Grit Wet/Dry sandpaper on your
surface plate."

David Gendron
02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Sorry Mike, I should of said, other than diamond stone or plate...

David Gilbert
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I prefer flattening my 1000 and 8000 stones on 180 or 220 wet/dry sandpaper on my granite stone. I have used my diamond stones (220 - very coarse) but they seem to rock a little. I like the larger surface area of the sandpaper on the granite.

Cheers,
David

Mike Brady
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
According to Bill at Craftsman Studio:

"You can flatten the GlassStones on 220 Grit Wet/Dry sandpaper on your
surface plate."
It sounds like some of you have the Shapton glass laminated stones. I notice in the video demos that I have seen from Lie-Nielsen and others that they flatten those stones each time they use them (by whatever means). As thin as they are, new, is there a noticeable thinning after a time? Some of my coarser grit waterstones have gotten thin even though they were 3/4"+ to start with. Do glass stones hold up better?

Mike Henderson
02-10-2010, 11:27 AM
It sounds like some of you have the Shapton glass laminated stones. I notice in the video demos that I have seen from Lie-Nielsen and others that they flatten those stones each time they use them (by whatever means). As thin as they are, new, is there a noticeable thinning after a time? Some of my coarser grit waterstones have gotten thin even though they were 3/4"+ to start with. Do glass stones hold up better?
Here's my take on the glass stones, for what it's worth.

You can't use all of the regular (professional) Shapton stones because they eventually get thin and break. My guess is that Shapton recognized this and bonded a thinner stone to a glass backing, which allows you to use essentially all of the stone, and allowed Shapton to sell it for a bit less than the professional stones. But you probably get about the same "usable" amount of stone.

A disadvantage is that you only get one side. On the professional stones, you can flatten both sides and turn the stone over when you suspect the first side is getting out of flat.

You can glue your professional stones to glass, as they thin down, but buying glass in small quantities you'll pay more for the glass than Shapton does buying it in large quantities.

Mike

Eric Hartunian
02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Here's my take on the glass stones, for what it's worth.

A disadvantage is that you only get one side. On the professional stones, you can flatten both sides and turn the stone over when you suspect the first side is getting out of flat.

Mike

Unless your professional stones are different than mine, you cannot turn them over. The professional stones are bonded to another material (kind of white/grey in color). You can only use the colored surface for sharpening.
I flatten mine using SC powder on an import granite surface plate. Messy, but effective and relatively cheap.
Eric

Mike Henderson
02-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Unless your professional stones are different than mine, you cannot turn them over. The professional stones are bonded to another material (kind of white/grey in color). You can only use the colored surface for sharpening.
I flatten mine using SC powder on an import granite surface plate. Messy, but effective and relatively cheap.
Eric
No, my professional stones are one material all the way through. I can use both sides. I'll post a picture of my Shaptons if you want me to.

Mike

[Pictures added. How about everyone else? Are your professional Shaptons one sided or two sided?]

Robert LaPlaca
02-18-2010, 6:44 PM
Can Shapton glass stone be flatened using something else than there flatening plate?

Maybe I own some really old Shapton Pro stones (mine are about 10 years old), when I purchased the stones from Harrilson Stanley, the method for flattening the stones was with Shapton powders and a Shapton flattening Iron. So far I am happy using the powder and Iron plate to flatten the stones, seems to work OK for me...

Also my Shapton Pro's are two sided

Eric Hartunian
02-19-2010, 12:39 AM
No, my professional stones are one material all the way through. I can use both sides. I'll post a picture of my Shaptons if you want me to.

Mike

[Pictures added. How about everyone else? Are your professional Shaptons one sided or two sided?]

Mike, I have two Shapton professional stones, and they are not like yours. Mine have some type of backing bonded to the stone, and are definitely not usable on both sides. I wonder if they changed at some point. Mine are the 1k and 2k. Either way, you got twice the stone for the money! Just my luck, go figure...

Eric

Phil Harding
02-19-2010, 9:39 AM

Mike

I have a complete set of Shapton professional stones from 120 up to 12,000 (fantastic eBay deal) and they all look like Mike's - one material all the way through.

-- Phil