PDA

View Full Version : Something new to Look Through

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-25-2004, 6:17 PM
Saw this in kit form at Penn State's web site. Thought I'd try one.

Here it is! A kaleidoscope made from Aeromatic Cedar.

As always, comments gracefully (I HOPE) accepted. :)

Bruce ;)

John Shuk
10-25-2004, 8:03 PM
Very pretty piece Bruce. What did you use as a finish?

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks JOhn:

It has six coats of Hut Crystal coat friction applied and three of briwax, hand buffed.

Bruce

Richard Allen
10-26-2004, 7:51 AM
Hi Bruce

Kaleidoscopes are a lot of fun to make with a lot of options for shapeing the wood. You picked a terrific shape that makes the Kaleidoscope more fun.

Good work

John Szarek
10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Bruce, What is the kit like? I have had psi problems in the past and have been leary of trying those.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-26-2004, 4:56 PM
I only bought one, to see how things were. I like to "Buy Locally" when possible, but no-one had any here.

In this case, the kit only includes the brass tube, lenses, Jesus clip, and mirrors. The directions were downloadable at their web site. You have to also buy the bushings and a forsner bit.

I was surprised at how fast it was to turn and put together.

I'm going to be in Philladelphia next week and besides giving them ten pens for their TAT (Hope I get to turn some there, too), I'm buying some more kits (no freight). I've shown this one around and have some orders for them as Christmas presents.

Chris Padilla
10-26-2004, 5:29 PM
Bruce, that finish is very interesting. It almost looks like a chunk of copper in the picture and not cedar! The camera/lighting does play tricks! :)