PDA

View Full Version : Spehar Toolworks Blades

Herb Blair
10-25-2004, 5:33 PM
I received a Spehar 2" blade and Chipbreaker in the mail on Saturday. What a difference this combination makes in my #4! I spent about 10 minutes honing the blade and installed it in the plane......Worked fanstatic. I made a large pile of white oak shavings (sorry no pics this time).
Vlad is a great guy to work with, he responds to EMAIL quickly and has a great product.
I'm in no way connected, but though I would give MHO about his plane blades.

Tom LaRussa
10-25-2004, 5:55 PM
I received a Spehar 2" blade and Chipbreaker in the mail on Saturday. What a difference this combination makes in my #4! I spent about 10 minutes honing the blade and installed it in the plane......Worked fanstatic. I made a large pile of white oak shavings (sorry no pics this time).

Hi Herb,

Fluffy shavings are always nice, aren't they?

BTW, what was wrong with the old blade and breaker?

Herb Blair
10-25-2004, 8:21 PM
This particular blade was in fair shape. It required a lot of flattening and honing. It wasn't bad, but the thicker Spehar blade and chip breaker put a lot more "beef" into it.
I was going to buy a Lie-Nielsen #4 1/2, but this old Stanley does pretty well. I'm planning to order a couple of more to outfit a #5 and a #7 as soon as the LOML allows me to spend a few more $$ on woodworking.

Tom LaRussa
10-25-2004, 10:32 PM
This particular blade was in fair shape. It required a lot of flattening and honing. It wasn't bad, but the thicker Spehar blade and chip breaker put a lot more "beef" into it.
Ah, yes. Thicker is nice.

I was going to buy a Lie-Nielsen #4 1/2, but this old Stanley does pretty well. I'm planning to order a couple of more to outfit a #5 and a #7 as soon as the LOML allows me to spend a few more $$ on woodworking.
That's the spirit!

Hopefully helpful suggestion ... Tell the LOYL how much money you're saving by buying the Stanleys instead of a LN -- and then ask her what she'd like to do with the difference. :D