PDA

View Full Version : JDS Multi Router Air Clamps

Ben Abate
02-09-2010, 4:00 PM
Hello all,

I'm in the process of trying to put together a system for my horizontal mortiser and was wondering if anyone has the air clamps on their JDS Multi Router? And if so; what is the stroke of the piston? Also; I know if you purchase the Air Clamp set they come with a post that supports the arm and piston. In your opinion could that post be removed and the hole bored to approximately 25 or 27 mm? Is there enought metal there to make that post hole into a larger hole. Reason being is that the posts that are now on my machine are round and are threaded into the top of the table. I would like to remove the posts from the JDS air clamps and bore the hole to fit my posts.

Thanks all, your help is appreciated
Ben

David DeCristoforo
02-09-2010, 6:42 PM
I used to have one of those machines and I pirated the air clamps to use on a coping jig on my shaper. But I just drilled and tapped the aluminum fence on the jig (shop built) to fit the JDS posts and then swapped them around as needed. Don't remember what the stroke is but it the arms can be moved up or down on the posts to get the correct pressure.

Ben Abate
02-09-2010, 6:57 PM
David,

That's why I'm considering using them because of the ability to move the arms up and down. They are more useful being able to relocate on the vertical shaft. Plus they are one half of the price of others that are available. As long as i can bore the post hole to the desired diameter than I'm good.

thanks David
Ben

Mark Bosse
02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Makes for safe, fast turn around of work pieces. Keeps fingers away from cutting edges.

There is a lot going on in the top plate of this beast. I would avoid cutting any new holes. I keep learning new things about why they built the thing the way they did. If I would have taken on a modification task last year, I would have made lots of mistakes.

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2010, 10:33 PM
You might like my picture.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mortisertable2.jpg

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
For what you are describing though, why not get a Bimba cylinder with a 4" stroke and a piece of bar stock aluminum and bore/tap EXACTLY what you want. The Bimba cylinders are $50 or so new and sometimes a pair can be had for $50 on ebay. Get them with the collar so they screw directly to the arm you will make in aluminum.

Ever see David P Best's clamps he uses on his Felder saw/shaper? Called the Big Squeeze.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/bigsqueeze.jpg

Ben Abate
02-10-2010, 5:13 PM
Mike,

I have a set of the big squeezes on my slider, just like the ones you posted last. They're a great accessory for the slider. I have the exact pair you have pictured in the last post.

What I want to do is add a pair to my mortiser just like you have on the Multi Router. Now, I have located the Bimba cylinders and they are about $17.00 apiece, pretty cheap don't you think. And I have located the flow valves and the tubing for the plumbing of the cylinders. I can't find a suitable holder. The ones on the Multi Router are close to what I want but I can't find the one that I saw on another pair.

Mike, could you do me a favor? Could you measure the diameter of the posts that hold the cylinder and holder? By the way, how does the post enter the table? Better yet, do the post screw into the Multi Router? If so I could easily have a set of posts machined to the proper size and have the metric tread put on them. That's real easy to do. That way I could use the entire set up from Multi Router. My machine has metric threads in the table for the manual clamps I have now.

There is a setup out there by a fellow that I see on one of the forums but his price for one is double the price of the entire setup from Multi Router.
As I mentioned I ran down all the parts except for the holders. I know they're a shelf item somewhere. I just can't find them. I'm thinking the Multi Router ones would be fine now that you posted the pictures and I see they have a round post. I always thought they had a shape like a figure 8.

Thanks Mike for the pictures, it made it a lot easier to put this together if the post work out.

Mike, I just notice when taking a better look at your set up that your machine is not a Multi Router. DA...... I see you have a manual clamp hanging off the rear. That's where I want to put the Multi Router Clamps, on the original posts or place them on a new post in the original holes. By the way, what type of mortiser is that? Laguna? I have a Felder FD 250 with the 3 large extention wings.

Ben