PDA

View Full Version : Tox Boxes

Keith E Byrd
02-09-2010, 3:05 PM
I made these two toy boxes for my grand daughter and grandson.

The first was made with hickory and cherry over all dimensions 20 h, 34 l, 20 w. Panels were M&T to the cherry corners.

The second was made of ash with through dovetails and a sliding tray for small items etc. I used a router freehand to carve out the lettering. Same dimensions as the first toy box.

Nathan Dekens
02-09-2010, 3:36 PM
Cool boxes, I have been looking for a toy box example of this sorts. How did you join the posts to the panels in the first box?

John Keeton
02-10-2010, 8:29 AM
Nice work, Keith! The grandkids will be pleased!

Neat touch with the lettering, and well executed. I think the ash and cherry look good together, but I am drawn to the dovetailed corners on the second one, and I kind of like the way you did the lettering better on that one.

Baxter Smith
02-10-2010, 8:48 AM
Great job! They will last a lot longer than the toys they put in them. Unless you are making them too!

John Thompson
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Excellent job as these are great. I'm partial to the DT's one also. So... you made the letters free-hand with a router! You have steadier hands than I... sir! :)

Well done indeed...

travis howe
02-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Very nice Keith! Any tips on installing those lid stays? I finally gave up, not sure what I was doing wrong I had no luck with em!?

Keith E Byrd
02-11-2010, 1:13 PM
Travis,
The lid stays on the cherry/hickory box worked well for a few months - I actually had 3 of the heaviest weights on (hickory is heavy) and the box lid is 21x35 and added two more and now works ok. On the ash box I used the lid stays that I think are only available at Rockler and a little pricey but two of the heaviest ones work great. The directions for installing was straight forward and I had no trouble. What type are you trying to use?

Jim Eller
02-11-2010, 8:18 PM
Travis,
The lid stays on the cherry/hickory box worked well for a few months - I actually had 3 of the heaviest weights on (hickory is heavy) and the box lid is 21x35 and added two more and now works ok. On the ash box I used the lid stays that I think are only available at Rockler and a little pricey but two of the heaviest ones work great. The directions for installing was straight forward and I had no trouble. What type are you trying to use?

Keith,

I'm currently doing a chest out of hickory. The lid is 22 lbs and 20" deep(40" wide). When I put the numbers in the formula on Rockler's website it tells me I need 3 - 60 in/lb hinges and 1 - 40 in/lb Lid Stay hinges. That's four hinges at $80+. I see you used only two on the ash box lid.

How is that working out? I didn't think the hickory would be twice as heavy. Maybe I'm missing something here. I sure hope so. I would like to put a pair of them on but I'm not sure about doubling that.

Thanks,
Jim

Keith E Byrd
02-21-2010, 7:55 AM
Keith,

I'm currently doing a chest out of hickory. The lid is 22 lbs and 20" deep(40" wide). When I put the numbers in the formula on Rockler's website it tells me I need 3 - 60 in/lb hinges and 1 - 40 in/lb Lid Stay hinges. That's four hinges at $80+. I see you used only two on the ash box lid.

How is that working out? I didn't think the hickory would be twice as heavy. Maybe I'm missing something here. I sure hope so. I would like to put a pair of them on but I'm not sure about doubling that.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
I have had no problems at all - hinges have worked great.

Jim Eller
02-22-2010, 6:37 PM
Jim,
I have had no problems at all - hinges have worked great.

Keith,

How many Rockler lid stay hinges did you use on the top? The heaviest ones??

Jim

Keith E Byrd
02-23-2010, 2:04 AM
I used 2 of the heaviest ones.

Jim Eller
02-23-2010, 3:23 PM
Thanks Keith,

After re-reading the whole thread again(third time) I see you had posted that info:o

I purchased the spring thingies after the Rockler formula told me I needed three hinges. I'm going to purchase a couple and give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Van Huskey
02-23-2010, 4:44 PM
Those are very nice! I was bummed that I wasn't able to learn what a Tox Box was though... :p

Randal Stevenson
02-24-2010, 12:03 AM
First, thank you for the pictures. They look well built and should last the kids a bit.

Secondly, thanks for the chuckle. One simple spelling error, or Freudian slip, and I kept thinking of the tox(ic) toys, that the kids get with the Chinese lead paint. Been a long week and any chuckle is a good chuckle right now.

Keith E Byrd
02-24-2010, 12:41 AM
After all these posts I had no idea I misspelled it!