PDA

View Full Version : Power/Alignment Issues (Epilog Helix)

Brittany Lorio
02-09-2010, 2:37 PM
I have 5 Epilog Helix (75 watt) machines that are all about 4-5 years old. They each run a minimum of 40 hrs each week when they are operational. It seems that with each passing month they are operating with less and less power behind the laser. We clean these machines daily, sometimes even more than that. I have adjusted the settings and updated drivers and firmware on all 5 machines, but can only get 4 working even at 50% the power at which they used to. Orders are piling up and I really cannot afford to have epilog come out and service them. If I could just get this one machine back online- even at low power...

I'm in the process of realigning the red dot pointer and laser on each machine, but specifically on one of them, because it is currently not functional. Whenever I engrave, the lines are sloppy and crooked. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I've seen it before, but none of the "fixes" I've made in the past seem to be helping and I'm just really at a loss.

Also, though I've read and reread the instructions Epilog tech supprt sent me on how to realign my lasers, I remain a bit confused. I'm more of a visual learner- does anyone know of any sites that have pictures or video tutorials on performing such procedures? I've already searched google videos and youtube- at this point I'm ready to just dive in and pray I don't screw something up more than it already was.

Thanks for listening, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Boekers
02-09-2010, 3:57 PM
5 lasers and all losing power at the same time, that's seems a bit strange.

Epilog Tech Reps are very good at talking you through procedures. I'd definately give them a call.

I agree that if they had a short video for basic repairs and maintanence it would help out greatly! (Pass this on PecK!;))

If the lenses and mirrors are ok, then I would check alignment see if that is the issue. Checking alignment isn't to hard (easier than re-aligning it)

I'd start there.

One question, you have 5 lasers running 40hrs a week how come this is your first post? I'm sure you have much that you could share with the rest of us. Jump right in show us some of your work, and share some tips!:D

That's is, of course, when you get back up and running, and can relax a bit.

Marty

Brittany Lorio
02-09-2010, 6:55 PM
Thanks for your reply... I've already CHECKED the alignment on all 5, and to tell you the truth they are ALL off and they are all at least a couple or a few millimeters out of alignment with their red dot pointers. The problem is finding the time to actually re-align because of how many rush orders are coming off the printer every few minutes or so. The reason I am so concerned about the one machine is A) it's not functioning properly (even at low power) and B) I can see the red dot ON THE WALL to the left of the printer, no joke.

Anyway- I'm still trying to work everything out- as I have only recently become responsible for the maintenance and care of these machines, though I've been operating them for about 4 years now. I wish the owners (my 2 bosses), would have paid more attention to what was and wasn't being properly cared for in regard to all their expensive and awesome machinery. I only hope that I can reverse whatever damage was done by years of poor cleaning practices and haphazard maintenane.

I'll get some of my work on here when I get the chance, but like I said, I'm really strapped for time right now. Also, I'm looking into adding air assits to at least 2 of the machines, because I can't work with the materials I'd like to with merely the dayton dust-sucker thingies... I'll get there in time though...

Tom Bull
02-09-2010, 7:33 PM
Don't know if your machine is set-up same as my old legend, but it started acting weird-making wiggly lines sort of at random. Called Epilog and they walked me through a check list (the guy actually said "I am walking over to a machine like yours, now do this...)
Turned out the problem was the axis bar had popped loose from a bearing. The legend is set up with a bearing that can come loose if you pull up really hard on the axis (or I suspect use auto focus and have an object strike the axis before the bed stops rising.) All I had to do was push down really hard on the right side and it popped into place.
So, bottom line, check that everything is tight, nothing shaking around that isn't supposed to, and just give them a call at tech support. They are easy to work with, and I am the third owner of this machine. They don't owe me anything but treat me like I am their best customer.

Brittany Lorio
02-09-2010, 7:41 PM
As soon as I get these last two ordes out, and can silence the other machines, I'll hop on the phone. I've never heard of something like that happening, but I'm certain now that it could. The only problem is I already know they're going to want me to re-align first and that might take the whole rest of the time they're open... oh well... I'll keep updating as I further attempt to resolve this issue.

Thanks 4 the comment.

Martin Boekers
02-09-2010, 8:21 PM
You have come to the right spot for help. As you see already much of the trouble may be from maintenence (or lack there of).

One thing to test before you start alignment is to make sure the red dot point is aligned with the actual beam. It may not be.

you can put a piece of masking tape over the hole where the beam enters the lens assembly, then with the red dot on test fire the laser enough to make a mark on the tape see if they are at the same spot. Do this all 4 corners and you will get a good idea if the red dot and laser are fully aligned and where the laser itself is aligned.

Hope this helps a bit!:o

Marty

Brittany Lorio
02-09-2010, 8:37 PM
I've already checked all machines and determined the red dot is off on each, I just haven't had a chance to re-align the red dot & the laser yet. I've been on hold w/tech support for 20 minutes now...

apparently my call is VERY important, but all reps are currently assisting other callers...

I'm gonna get this darn, it. And hopefully after I've walked through it with a rep once, I'll be ready to record a video of me doing it on one of the other machines... I'm going to begin the age of video troubleshooting for Epilog laser printers!!! :)

Rodne Gold
02-10-2010, 1:48 AM
I have 6 lasers runnung so know all about your dillemma.
If power is dropping on all your machines , apart from alignment and age , it could also be a lens and mirror issue , a lot of cleaning dulls both due to microscratches etc.

As to alignment , well the red dot pointer is not that relevant as it is a completely separate system to the laser - it's just a convenience thing - the actual laser alignment is critical. Time spent aligning is well worth it as you can often boost thruput by 1/3rd doing so - so your production capacity can go up nig time with an hour spent on doing so.

Peck Sidara
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Brittany,

Sounds like there could be a few things that needs trouble-shooting on each machine. From correcting the laser beam alignment to inspecting all optics for flakes/cracking/delamination and some general maintenance.

I think you'll find the hardest part of getting your machines back up to par is finding the time (without interuption) working with our technical support group.

I can't stress enough how important this aspect of the trouble-shooting is. I can sense the urgency of meeting deadlines, keeping the machines running all while getting your daily tasks done. Too often, owners/operators/maintenance personnel are getting pulled from "getting the machines up and running".

Recommendation: Make this a priority and select the less functional laser system as the learning tool to build on. Contact technical support and have them walk you thru the process(es) over the phone while you're at the machine with the available tools; on a cordless phone or head-set; with pen and paper handy for taking notes.

Marty-we're continually building on our online flash & video tutorials & do agree this would be a great addition. It's already on our list of "things to do" but we do appreciate the reminder.

Brittany Lorio
02-12-2010, 2:39 AM
Okay, so I took the time to align the lasers and red dots on 2 of my machines, obviously the one of discussion- and another running at only low power. The good news is the on the low-power machine ("D"), there has been a significant boost in the depth of my engravings, as well as the speed at which I can achieve said depth at. (Still nowhere near what it used to be- but at this point, I'm very grateful for any improvement at all.)

Anyhow- back to my true project, my "A" machine...

After aligning the red dot, then laser, then checking all 4 positions and making the appropriate adjustments where needed-- I bit my lip, said a prayer, and ran a test order...

Hmm... apparently somehow, someway, my home position has shifted about 3/4 and inch upward on the y axis. :( So I figure- "Whatever, all I'm really trying to figure out is if this darn thing can print- who cares where it starts."

Well, after painfully suspenseful test, I saw 2 things (only 1 good)
1) a MAJOR improvement in the depth (though I ran it at a very low speed for my standards)
2) horizontal squiggles

For those of you who cannot imagine what I mean by "horizontal squiggles"- I simply mean that in every stoke of the laser, there are small, ALMOST insignificant variances in the where the laser begins to burn. Tech support seemed baffled by this and asked me to send pictures, I just haven't had a chance and figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had dealt with this before...

Rodne Gold
02-12-2010, 3:07 AM
Do you use the red dot as a marker when aligning or do you use a paper burn "target"?
Are all your mirrors "tight"?

Mike Null
02-12-2010, 7:52 AM
You are in Engraving Concepts territory. Have you called them for assistance. (Roy Brewer)

Brittany Lorio
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
I use the target for aligning, and from what Epilog told me yesterday, making sure all my mirrors are tightly screwed in would be a good move, though it may not fix my problem. I'm leaving for New Orleans today and really don't want to get the my frustration built up too much after a 50 hour week, so after I make sure the mirrors are well-fastened, and the beam still in alignment, I'm gonna take a nice 4 day break. :D

Also, I don't think I mentioned, I'm working with a somewhat sketchy x-axis motor I'd traded with one of the other machines in order to keep all machines up and running instead of waiting on a new motor to come in. So yesterday I went ahead and ordered a new one, so it'll be in by the time I'm back from Mardi Gras.

Before I depart, I must mention one more problem I noticed yesterday, one I can only assume is a recent development because of how blatant it is. The entire table has become tilted about a centimeter to the left hand side. I talked to tech support about how to fix it but my always-prepared, well-stocked warehouse didn't have the appropriate size of Allen wrench. :( Oh well, I'm bringing my set from home and will fix the table first thing, then run a test. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath...