PDA

View Full Version : Polce Chief retirement plaque...

David Harvey
02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Thought I would share this project that I did for a local police department in early December of last year. This was a pretty involved project, in that, I ended up having to use 'all' of the tools at hand, ie. CNC router, vinyl printer/cutter and the laser. The plaque was a large one...16" x 20" walnut and the design was that of the assistant police chief, who was coordinating and planning the retirement ceremony. He said here's kinda what I want, you just make it look good. ....errrr thanks....

They wanted to somehow convey a 'Family tree' of both the chiefs family and all of the memebers of the police department. The concept I decided on was to make all the elements 'lay' into pockets that were routed into the plaque, somewhat framing each element to make it standout and also blend into the entire scheme.

The pictures were all scanned from supplied photos and then print and cut as decals on the printer. These were then applied to the Alumamark gold plates that were laser engraved with a border and sized to precisely drop into their respective pockets on the plaque. All were then coated with a protective gloss finish.

The central photo of the plaque was lasered onto a 6" x 6" laser tile and pressed into the pocket in the plaque.

The hardest part was coming up with pockets that the 2 different badges would drop into and in a manner that would look similar to the other pockets in the plaque...plus they had to also be able to be removed and inserted back when needed. After a few trials in scrap wood I got that worked out

Once everything was machined and all the elements verified to fit, the last step was to laser engrave all the text below the photographs. They also wanted the US and State flags engraved either side of the photo at the bottom.

Luckily, everything worked out well, everything fit in the pockets like a glove and it was finally finished. They really liked it and I heard that the ceremony where it was presented went exceptionally well.

Thought I would share this as it shows how various pieces of equipment can compliment the other, and many on this forum have the different machines.

I took a few pictures of the plaque as it progressed and attached them to show how it turned out.

The next one I would like to make out of Corian (Yes, Keith, YOU GOT ME HOOKED! :rolleyes: )

Mike Null
02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't know when I've seen any better work or design than that.

I hope you were well paid.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Dee Gallo
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Boy that took some thought, I'll bet! You did a great job combining the various elements in the layout and the insets are very nice looking.

This is proof that the laser is just another tool in the arsenal. in the right hands, anything you can imagine can be done!

Thanks for sharing, dee

Martin Boekers
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
WoW!

Well Done!!!

Marty

Mark Winlund
02-09-2010, 1:05 PM
How many hours of work? How much did you charge? I can tell you from personal experience that it is hard to make any money from these "one-offs". They are a lot of fun to do, but they usually do not translate into groceries!

I think that we are going to see a lot more of multi process jobs... combining laser and router into one product. The trick is to standardize on the items that will be inset. Our first foray into this years ago was to buy 2" round medallions to fit into engraved pockets (back in the rotary engraver days!)

Mark

Scott Balboa
02-09-2010, 2:08 PM
Nice work! Hope it paid off for ya.

David Harvey
02-09-2010, 3:51 PM
Thanks all for the great comments. Yes, creative juices can flow more freely when there are choices in the path. Dee...I would love to see you outfitted with a router....Wow!

Mark, I have less than 5 or 6 hr's into that job...maybe not quite that much, but close. materials was about ~$35.00 bucks or so.
Design/layout time maybe an hr or so, toolpathing 30 minutes, about 45 minutes routing time + an hr or so for test routing/fitting of the badges in scrap and finishing, positioning, finalizing etc.

I charged $325.00 for the job and hopefully will get more of their work down the road. In fact, I did a reflective license plate not long ago for them...so who knows?

Martin Boekers
02-09-2010, 4:02 PM
You have a vinyl cutter don't forget to let them know you can do the lettering on the new cars when they replace the old ones;)

Marty

laura passek
02-09-2010, 4:22 PM
Beuatiful work, and now you have your foot in their door.

Frank Corker
02-09-2010, 6:51 PM
Great job David. They will be really proud when they get it.

Mike Null
02-09-2010, 7:17 PM
Mark

QUOTE]I think that we are going to see a lot more of multi process jobs... combining laser and router into one product. The trick is to standardize on the items that will be inset. Our first foray into this years ago was to buy 2" round medallions to fit into engraved pockets (back in the rotary engraver days!)[/QUOTE]

I'm finding that the rotary engraver days aren't over. I seem to be getting more rotary/diamond drag jobs every day.