PDA

View Full Version : Not Fine WW, just Fun WW...

David Hayes
10-25-2004, 3:20 PM
Attached are some photos of the past week's project, a train table for my 2 year old son. Table legs and "aprons" were made from some slightly wormy, but very curly red oak I had left over from another project (wood bought from Donnie Raines this summer).

Legs and aprons assembled with pocket screws for future storage. "Trundle" drawers and table deck are red oak plywood. Drawers are glued and pocket screwed (like I said, not Fine Woodworking - just Fun). Drawers on 2" casters with novelty pulls obtained from the big blue box.

Finish is Golden Pecan stain with a few coats of wipe-on poly. Table is 18" high, 36" wide, and 49-1/2" long. This was a one day assembly project that has gotten rave reviews from the wife and kids.

Dave

Donnie Raines
10-25-2004, 3:24 PM
Looking good David....another project well done.

Ted Shrader
10-25-2004, 3:29 PM
David -

Nice work. You can sure tell the little folks are loving it.

Regards,
Ted

Michael Stafford
10-25-2004, 3:35 PM
Great looking project! Nice choice of woods as it should be able to stand up to the inevitable "train wrecks" of children. You've got it made when the family loves your projects as they and yourself are the only ones you really have to please. I wouldn't trade that gleeful look of joy from your son for all the praise in FWW...

Keith Christopher
10-25-2004, 4:34 PM
I agree with mike, there's no other opinion that will take away or add to the glee on your son's face. you forgot one important thing. You won't be stepping on those killer train tracks ! Yes my son used to be into those when he was that age. but on the floor they went. many a bruises on the bottom of my feet.

Chris Padilla
10-25-2004, 5:01 PM
Sweet! Man, I gotta get the shop done in time to build my little girl something...she'll be in college before I know it! (She's 2.5 right now....) :)

Jim Fancher
10-25-2004, 5:03 PM
Oh yeah! There's one happy kid. :D Very nice!

Steve Clardy
10-25-2004, 5:21 PM
KIds are Happy, Mommy's happy, You're Happy.

And We are Happy:D That's what it's all about.
I like the curly Oak. Nice
Steve

Dick Parr
10-25-2004, 5:33 PM
Dave it looks great. The kids look like they are enjoying themselves with it already.

Dave, where is Paris from Knoxville? :confused:

Again it looks like everyone had fun with this project. :D

Chuck Fischer
10-25-2004, 5:44 PM
Dave, you make your own track for that train? I've seen the prices on those trains and uh... ouch! They are pretty cool though, wish I had a set when I was that age. My daughter is only 4 months... but I can see some trians in her future I think.

Chuck

Kent Cori
10-25-2004, 9:08 PM
Dang, I wish my dad had built one that nice when I was a kid!! :)

Can I come over and play with it? :D

David Hayes
10-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Dave, where is Paris from Knoxville? :confused: (Quote Dick Parr)

Dick - Paris is in Henry County (Home of the World's Largest Fish Fry in April) - geographically on the West shore of Kentucky Lake bordering Kentucky.

Kent - Sure! come on over. Samuel doesn't like to share Thomas though.

Chuck - No, I bought the track at Toys-R-Us. I buy the "Imaginarium" track - it's a little easier on the wallet than the "Thomas" track. Looked at making some track but the router bits cost as much as buying the track.

Chris - You're right - they do grow up too fast. My daughter is nine going on 15!

Thanks for viewing and the kind replies.
Dave

Jason Tuinstra
10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
David, great job. I looks like it passes the test with flying colors! Good for you!