PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox 1706 14" Bandsaw

Rick Huelsbeck
02-09-2010, 9:33 AM
I am looking at getting this band saw with a riser kit. Can anyone who has owned or owns one give me your feedback on this saw? Have you tried it with a 3/4" blade? I've had experience in the past that if the machine says it can take a 3/4" blade don't go bigger than a 1/2". Any feedback would be appreciated.

Myk Rian
02-09-2010, 9:45 AM
I don't have a Shop Fox, but I won't put a 3/4" blade on my Delta w/riser.

Duane Murray
02-09-2010, 10:03 AM
In response to your question, the ability to handle a 3/4" blade depends entirely on the saw blade and feed rate. I have found the saw works great when using a Timber Wolf or I assume a Woodslicer blade. I do know, however, the saw bulks at the idea of using any size Olson or God forbid a Craftsman blade. At the same time, I must admit, I use a 1/2" TW for most of my re-sawing on this saw. I guess it may be all in my head but I feel the smaller blade gives me a somewhat better looking finished cut and a bit more control when adjusting for drift. I have never used the Carter Blade or any other high end blades so I can't comment on them. However, I can attest for the Timber Wolf and Woodslicer blades. Hope this helps.
:D

Ryal Cox
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I have a Shop Fox 1706 with the riser kit and use a good 3/4" 3tpi blade for re-sawing. I'm no expert on bandsaws but it seems to work well. I've used this setup to resaw both maple (drawer box sides) and cherry (slats for mission style furniture) and it has worked well with the right feed rate. Of course with a 3tpi blade there is some cleanup necessary but it cuts fairly straight and fast.

Raymond Fries
02-10-2010, 1:39 PM
...SF 1706 and it works just fine. I do agree that cuts need some finish work.

Marty Paulus
02-10-2010, 2:07 PM
I don't have a Shop Fox, but I won't put a 3/4" blade on my Delta w/riser.
Myk. I just bought the 14' Delta and have the riser kit to put on. Why won't you put a 3/4 blade on the saw?

Myk Rian
02-10-2010, 2:16 PM
Myk. I just bought the 14' Delta and have the riser kit to put on. Why won't you put a 3/4 blade on the saw?
The 1/2" blade does just fine. I don't think I can tension a 3/4" with the standard spring.