PDA

View Full Version : Axe Handle

Kari Hultman
02-09-2010, 8:31 AM
Does anyone know where you can have a specialty (exotic lumber) handle made for an axe? A fireman wrote me and wants to have two made for his sons. They need to be usable, but he also wants them to be family heirlooms.

Darnell Hagen
02-09-2010, 8:59 AM
Fine WoodWorking a couple of months back had a guy that has a machine for turning axe handles, he uses them for stool legs. He could try to contact him.

They'd be much more of an heirloom if he made them himself, though. Can you convince him to break out the spokeshave?

Stephen Shepherd
02-09-2010, 9:25 AM
Osage orange would look good and be serviceable for an ax handle.

Stephen

Randy Reitz
02-09-2010, 9:27 AM
In your backyard on your shaving horse. Rough blank on bandsaw and finish with drawshave and spokeshave. Roy Underhill covered this in some of his early books.

Be careful of the which exotic wood you use, especially for a user. There is a reason we ended up using mostly hickory on this continent.

Kari Hultman
02-09-2010, 9:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I remember that guy who makes the axe handles for stools. He lives near me, actually. Some people suggested I make them, but I wouldn't want to be held liable if in use the head flew off the handle and killed someone. I think this calls for someone who makes axe handles for a living.