PDA

View Full Version : Had Fun Today

Jim Koepke
02-09-2010, 2:59 AM
Had to go into town to have some imaging done on my shoulder.

So, I took in a mallet that was turned out of an end piece of the mahogany to show to the person who sold it to me.

He thought it was kind of neat to see what the rough wood became.

Then I decided to go meet Bob who Scott at the used tool store told me to give a call because he likes old tools and has some wood working tools.

That was an understatement. The guy has a full blown wood mill in his back yard. He is about to retire from his job at a lumber mill after 40 some years. He has tons of wood and logs everywhere. I know where some of my money is going to be spent. He has a bunch of Doug Fir from a barn dismantling. About 700 BF he wants to sell it as one bunch for $700. Dang, if I wasn't going to spend my savings on a new plane, I think I would have him bring it to me. It was rough cut and a lot of the boards measured a full 2X5. He ran one piece through his planer and it looks wonderful.

He has an old planer built in 1913 if my memory is working. It came from a piano maker. It can cut wood on a taper 54 inches wide. The taper can be from 1 inch to 5 inches over the width. He has a sander of the same size. A 12 inch joiner, a dowelling machine, an inline table saw. a 5 head molding cutter. He has converted a freight container into a drying kiln. He also has a CNC router with what looks to be about 10X10 foot bed. He has a few acres of trees and his neighbors are family.

I am beginning to really like having moved to Washington.

Came home and was looking at Charlie Gummer's post about pits on his blade and took some pictures of my blades with pits and what they can do. It looks like there aren't as many pits as there used to be. There is still a big one over near the left and a few smaller ones across the middle. I thought there were more pits on this blade above the edge, but with sharpening, they are only a few left.

Making thin shavings is mesmerising.

Then with all the shaving going on I even lost my beard. Decided to take some pictures of shavings. From bottom to top, they are less than .001" about .001" between .001 & .002 a hair over .002" and about .004"

Then it was getting close to dinner time, so the dog and I went to check the mail. There was a box waiting in the mail box and I knew what that was.

Two drills that came along with the plane and a #61 marking gauge. One of the drills is interesting, but it has been messed with. The big gear has a couple of teeth missing. Not sure how hard it will be to find a replacement. The handle arm looks like something home made. It is a Yankee 1500 if the number was read correctly.

In the picture on ebay, the plane looked like the lever was broken, but it was just the angle. The plane will need some work, the blade is not as bad as I thought. It has a corrugated sole. After looking for a while, there was actually a little damage found under the tote. The tote has been repaired. But it will make someone a good user. The metal is broken off just under the tote. Haven't taken it apart to see if it is any worse. So far, it looks OK.

There is a bit of rust, but it doesn't look deep. It is a #4 type 11.

If someone is interested in a project let me know. As is, I would not expect to profit. If I do the work, I would like getting paid for my labor.

jim

David Gendron
02-09-2010, 2:58 PM
Jim, an other #4... do you have a #4 thing going on! Nice looking Mallet, espacialy if you are a woman...
It's allways good to have fun!

Matt Sauber
02-09-2010, 3:23 PM
Nice looking Mallet, espacialy if you are a woman...

wow.........

Jim Koepke
02-09-2010, 4:50 PM
Jim, an other #4... do you have a #4 thing going on!
It's allways good to have fun!

#4s are just the ones that are all over the place.

If nothing else, I will fix this one up and try to sell it. I have another type 6 #4 that needs a little work. If it comes up good, then I will have two type 6s for users and two, type 9 & type 11 to sell.

My go to user #4, type 6, is set up for thin shavings. Need to have one for thicker work.

The shavings in the pictures above and the plane with a shaving on it are my type 6 #4. A sweet little plane considering it was a cheap antique store find.

jim