PDA

View Full Version : pls help: unisaw rail dimensions

Jack DuBois
02-09-2010, 1:40 AM
Dear Unifence owner,

I'm wondering if you can do me a favor, can you measure your fence rail dimensions for me? I've found a sweet deal on a new unifence itself, but have yet to find rails at a decent price. So I'm thinking of substitutes (if possible). If I knew the rail dimensions I could source an extrusion that might work.

Sorry for the crude art, but it's the fastest way to get the image for me. I'd prefer dimensions to the nearest 0.005" - a lot to ask I know, but for someone with verniers, no big... :)

Verbally:
T = total thickness of the rail
W = slot web width
O = slot width between webs
t = thickness of web material

One more Q for ya: could you replace the screw/head used to lock the fence in position? I think it's basically a screw that ride in the T-slot so might be able to replace?

Many TIA for your help...

Cheers,
Jack.

Alan Schaffter
02-09-2010, 2:18 AM
Dear Unifence owner,

I'm wondering if you can do me a favor, can you measure your fence rail dimensions for me? I've found a sweet deal on a new unifence itself, but have yet to find rails at a decent price. So I'm thinking of substitutes (if possible). If I knew the rail dimensions I could source an extrusion that might work.

Sorry for the crude art, but it's the fastest way to get the image for me. I'd prefer dimensions to the nearest 0.005" - a lot to ask I know, but for someone with verniers, no big... :)

Verbally:
T = total thickness of the rail
W = slot web width
O = slot width between webs
t = thickness of web material

One more Q for ya: could you replace the screw/head used to lock the fence in position? I think it's basically a screw that ride in the T-slot so might be able to replace?

Cheers,
Jack.

There are two version of the Unisaw rail. See pics. I have one of each and will get you the dimensions tomorrow.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Wixey-1.JPG

Jack DuBois
02-09-2010, 2:21 AM
Alan, that rocks! Those pics say 1000 words. I'll check 2morrow. THANKS!!!

Alan Schaffter
02-10-2010, 1:08 AM
I almost forgot this!

Dear Unifence owner,

Verbally:
T = total thickness of the rail= 1.755"
W = slot web width = .502" (top) and .488" (bottom)
O = slot width between webs= .762"
t = thickness of web material = .315"

Interior dim.

vertical = 1.310"
depth (from the back of the web t)= 1.025"

As you can see by my pic the bolt head rides in a "T" slot in the new extrusion and the nut goes inside the apron of the CI table. That makes it easy to position the fence left and right. The old extrusion had holes drilled in it and you used a stick tape to position the nuts inside. The bolt was installed from the inside of the apron- poor design, not easily adjustable, L - R, unless you drill multiple holes.

FYI, the "T" slot on the bottom of the newer style rail is nice for mounting the switch or a knee-kick safety switch.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/PB270057.JPG

Cheers,
Jack.

Best of luck.

Jack DuBois
02-14-2010, 2:31 AM
Really appreciate the reply Alan,

From the dimensions you gave, I have not been able to locate an alternate extrusion - which means if I want a Unifence, I need a Unifence rail, no way around it.

That newer rail extrusion is super handy - with a T-slot on the back and the bottom...

Take care,
Jack

Alan Schaffter
02-14-2010, 3:47 AM
Really appreciate the reply Alan,

From the dimensions you gave, I have not been able to locate an alternate extrusion - which means if I want a Unifence, I need a Unifence rail, no way around it.

That newer rail extrusion is super handy - with a T-slot on the back and the bottom...

Take care,
Jack

Delta designed that rail extrusion pretty heavy duty. Most extrusions are designed to be light but strong. There are two on Ebay and a couple on Craigslist now.

Joshua Layne
02-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Delta designed that rail extrusion pretty heavy duty. Most extrusions are designed to be light but strong.

Having just cut my rail down to fit my unisaw/shaper composition with an abrasive wheel on a CMS, I can attest to them being quite heavy duty... as if lifting the d@mn thing around the shop wasn't enough to convince me.

I've got a 10" section I'll sell you for cheap :)

Norman Pyles
02-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Jack, where are you located? You never know, someone close may have a fence.

Jack DuBois
02-15-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm in SoCal, Riverside County. Yeah, if someone's got an old Unifence + rail they want to part with, drop me a line!

Rick Potter
02-15-2010, 1:12 PM
Hey Jack,

If you happen to find two, let me know. I cut mine down for a slider, and may want to change back someday.

Rick Potter
Upland Ca.