PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Slot Cutting Sets

Brandon Weiss
02-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Anyone have any luck with these sets? Favorite ones? Brands you trust more than any other? I'm looking at the Freud (trusted brand name readily available), Woodcraft (value set readily available down the road from me, easy to replace single slot cutter discs when they dull), and Eagle America (new brand I heard about on the creek on another post that seems to have some great sales and good prices) but am open to other sets.

glenn bradley
02-09-2010, 12:57 AM
Are you talking about stackable sets or something adjustable like:

I have stacking cutters from Rockler and they work fine. I bought the shaft and a couple plates initially and picked up a couple more plates during a sale. They do not get heavy use, if they did I would be inclined to get a Whiteside set as they are my preferred choice; Freud next and then most of the other names.

Dave Cav
02-09-2010, 2:21 AM
OK, I know you didn't ask about them, but I got these on sale:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93371
and they have worked ok both individually and stacked the few times I have used them. I got them for odds and ends of work where I needed a smaller or odd sized groove; I use piloted (usually Freud) rabbeting bits for most of my "regular" stuff.

Glen Butler
02-09-2010, 3:04 AM
I have got the Freud 99-036. Took some careful measuring to get it set up, I don't know what I would have done without calipers, it would have taken forever. Now it is set for 3/4" material, I would probably buy a new one before I changed the setting. I always use it on the shaper and climb cut using the power feeder. Very smooth joint, very adjustable. The set includes plenty of shims. On a chip cut the groover will tear out the top and bottom corners a little but that doesn't really matter as it is hidden by the tongue.

Paul Murphy
02-09-2010, 1:03 PM
I have the Amana 53600 set, because I wanted the full 1/2" depth of cut. Also bought the 47729 bearing set to optionally reduce depth to 3/8" or 1/4". The cutters were the same diameter as my tongue & groove bits, so I should be able to further mix and match.

Look at the depth of cut you'll be wanting, so as to avoid unwanted conflicts. I also like Freud, but the depth of cut was shallower [7/16?] than some of my other cutters.

Look at who makes the other profiles you will be using, and make sure the sets will work with each other. Whiteside, Amana, Freud are very good, I have heard good things about Eagle America, and even had good luck with premium Rockler and Woodcraft bits.

Mike Heidrick
02-09-2010, 3:12 PM
I bought a Freud set to do T-Track and it worked great.