PDA

View Full Version : Epilog vs Trotec....again

Bob Rath
02-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm getting close to a purchase of my first laser and its down to Epilog or Trotec. I've read as much as I can on SMC about the two machines and the comparisons that many of you have done. What puzzles me is the reasonably frequent mentions of Epilog problems whereas I see almost no mentions of Trotec problems. I'd like some opinions on whether this is because there are more Epilog units in service (thus more frequent maintenance issues) or whether Trotec is simply a better engineered/built piece of equipment.

It does appear from the threads that I've read that Epilog service and support gets very high marks from the SMC community and to the same point mentioned above, I really have no sense of the depth of tech support from Trotec. (Is this because Trotec support is like the Maytag repairman....i.e no problems=no service needs?) The fact that the Epilog is made in the U.S. and the service/parts come from within the U.S. is a plus, but I don't want patriotic emotion to get in the way of a sound decision.

I have seen both machines and would appreciate comments before I make my final decision. Thanks to all

Doug Griffith
02-09-2010, 12:11 AM
I have no experience with Trotec so can't make any assumptions. One thing I can "guess" about is that there are far more Epilog users here on Saw Mill Creek than Trotec users.

donald bugansky
02-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Robert,

Glad to see you are close to a decision. 2 things to remember from your visit - exhaust port & rotary device.

One phrase says it all - "job control".

Feel free to contact me if you want to catch up.

Regards, Bugs

Hilton Lister
02-09-2010, 4:27 AM
But it seems to me that the most enquiries for machine help on here comes from Epilog owners. Is there a message there?

Viktor Voroncov
02-09-2010, 4:36 AM
Just for better understanding and slightly offtopic :) Why choice is between Trotec and Epilog and you don't look on ULS and GCC which is practically same quality/price range?

Mike Null
02-09-2010, 5:50 AM
My Trotec is a little over 3 1/2 years old without a service call. I've had a few "operator" issues where I've called tech support and found them to be comparable to ULS and Epilog in that regard.

The Job Control software is outstanding.

I am in the engraving business rather than being a hobbyist so it gets plenty of work.

I've had experience working with both ULS and Epilog machines.

Michael Hunter
02-09-2010, 7:10 AM
I faced the same problem when I bought my laser. At that time though, the price difference made the decision relatively simple - the Trotec was 50% more expensive than the equivalent Epilog!

I still feel that the high-end Trotecs are the machines to aspire to, but if I needed to get a replacement I would probably go Epilog again (regardless of pricing) because of the excellent backup from the UK Epilog dealer.

Bob McGinn
02-09-2010, 7:48 AM
There are 'Delighters' and 'Disgusters' for each of the available lasers. Guess the decision would be best balanced where you evaluate each machine against intended use (Business Plan). Grab some of the typical materials & data files and go spend some quality time with each contender outside the "show" environment. Does your business plan include use of a Rotary...?? Which laser manufacturer accommodates your material type & workflow best? Are you looking for Fast Photos - then might want to rethink Universal with their 1 Touch Laser Photo software. Aside from that, machine price ( and shipping/freight charges), service & support all assist in the decision process.

Scott Shepherd
02-09-2010, 9:27 AM
Robert, no one can make that decision or help you make that decision without knowing your plans for it. Is this for a business? A hobby? What will you use it for? What models are you talking about. If you use it for a business and speed is important, the Speedy 300 will beat just about everything on the market that I am aware of. I don't think the speed is as much an issue on the models under the Speedy 300. Perhaps someone can confirm that.

Trotec are more expensive, but, as stated above, they are faster on their 300. So what's what worth? If a machine is 30% faster, gets the jobs done 30% faster, and you are engraving 12" x 12" tiles all day, then the cost difference will pay for itself many times over in a single year.

If you are vector cutting all day, there probably won't be much difference at all between any of the models. It takes a certain amount of speed and power to get through any given material.

I did see a flier from Universal the other day for their larger machine. It was 60W, a 32" x 18" table, cutting table and air assist for less than $20,000.

Tell us more about your plans and perhaps we can offer any personal experiences we have that may have helped us make the decision.

Dave Russell Smith
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The other thing to think about is the size of material you might use, can you put over sized pieces in your machine? , thats been the only failure on my machine no access for bigger pieces :(

Peck Sidara
02-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Robert,

If we were to poll the SMC members, you'll likely find that most own an Epilog or ULS with Trotec & GCC coming in 3rd or 4th. There are also some Xenetech, Vytek, Kern & over sea laser owners as well.

I do think this has *some* indication as to which is most popular/trusted amongst our peers but SMC should also be considered just a sample of the laser market.

Why are there more Epilog or ULS enquires, because SMC is the place to get answers for these machines as *most* own and/or are very familiar with an Epilog or ULS.

Hilton-I don't believe there are any hidden messages as to why there are more Epilog enquires. IMHO, it's simple, more Epilog owners on board. More experience with the Epilog. At times I get frustrated as to why an Epilog owner would log onto SMC to get technical support for their Epilog laser when our technical support is regarded as the best in the industry. After hours & weekends excluded, I've come to the conclusion that people want to discuss their equipment with like users/owners, get involved with discussions and learn about their machines from their peers. Even though we provide the best support, documentation, a very complete website & owners manual which together will answer the majority of common questions, SMC members will still log on and ask their peers. SMC is a great place to be & I'll continue to be on board daily to help answer/guide our customers in the right direction.

Got a little off track there....Robert, you really can't go wrong with either laser system. As many has already suggested; what are your primary uses/applications? Other questions to ponder:

Compare system/standard features and determine which ones are most beneficial to your applications/use.
Machine warranty, what does it all cover & duration?
Are both machines compatibile with your PC (32bit & 64bit OS) & graphics software?
Replacement parts cost?
Factory and/or local technical/sales support?
Have you processed any specific files on both systems to compare cycle times, quality & thruput?

Hilton Lister
02-09-2010, 2:00 PM
But, if I was in the market for a new machine, my impression of the number of machine problem enquiries that have come up here would definitely influence my decision. Especially as support can be pretty patchy way out here in Australasia.

Eric Edgette
02-09-2010, 4:31 PM
I think it depends on which machines you're looking at and what your budget is. I've only had experience with trotechs lowest end machine and it wasn't comparable to my mini 18 for features and ease of use, but it did cost about $4 grand less.

Martin Boekers
02-09-2010, 5:20 PM
But, if I was in the market for a new machine, my impression of the number of machine problem enquiries that have come up here would definitely influence my decision. Especially as support can be pretty patchy way out here in Australasia.

One thing to think about, yes there may be inquiries about issues, but I don't believe I have seen here that the issues weren't resolved quickly.

Many who asked for help diagnosing a problem have went an to buy 2, 3 or more Epilog's. I know that that is probably the same as with ULS and others.

Most of the issues that I've seen, seem to occur from a maintanence issue, dirty encoders, loose belts, dirty mirrors, lens, alignment etc.

The thing is not about problems (they can and will occur) it's about how they problems are resolved.

I know Epilog's Tech support is tremendous. ( I have 2 Legend EXT 75watts) in the last 4 years only once was one down for more than 24 hours. My typical turnaround is less than 48hrs so that is important to me.

I know from what others have said about ULS and it's service and quality that it is to a quality machine. Trotec is definately a high end machine that will give years of consitant engraving.

The main thing as others have said, determine your usage and see which best fit's the work you will do. Each machine has pluses and minuses.
Anyone of these will bring you to the finish line.

Marty

Dan Hintz
02-09-2010, 9:33 PM
Peck,

You could probably blame the myriad of other companies where tech support ranges from just satisfactory to downright poor. Once people get used to the way things are with the majority of products, they will rarely think it's any different with one more.

Peck Sidara
02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Peck,

You could probably blame the myriad of other companies where tech support ranges from just satisfactory to downright poor. Once people get used to the way things are with the majority of products, they will rarely think it's any different with one more.

You're likely right Dan. We all could comment on our general service experiences and I could ramble on but don't want take Robert's post/enquiry in another direction.

Rodne Gold
02-10-2010, 1:44 PM
Peck , I think SMC is probably a good mirror of the USA laser market specifically in the semi hobbyist / small commercial arena.

Mike Null
02-10-2010, 2:05 PM
Rodney

I wouldn't agree with that in the area of commercial enterprises. We have relatively few on SMC but a large number of hobbyists. I think most commercial engraving/laser businesses in the US do not participate in forums. That said, I don't think it changes the mix of laser brands in the US market as we think it is.

I will say that if anybody is hinting that Trotec tech support is lacking they are just plain wrong.

Scott Shepherd
02-10-2010, 2:13 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

If your machine is down and you call tech support this is what you'll get from Trotec, Epilog, ULS, and probably a few others :

"Hi, my machine is broken."

"We are sending the parts out today, next day air."

"Hi, me again. The parts came, how do I install them?"

"Good to hear from you again, how's the weather there? Let's walk you through the installation now."

You'll get the same from all 3, so no one's got a leg up on anyone in that area, in my opinion.

Norberto Coutinho
02-10-2010, 7:09 PM
You are in US... the lasers factorys are in US.... I live in Brazil and my machine was made in China... I speak in Portuenglish and they reply me in Chinenglish... very fun....:cool:

Edgar Buitrago
03-05-2010, 7:54 PM
Robert,

If we were to poll the SMC members, you'll likely find that most own an Epilog or ULS with Trotec & GCC coming in 3rd or 4th. There are also some Xenetech, Vytek, Kern & over sea laser owners as well.

I do think this has *some* indication as to which is most popular/trusted amongst our peers but SMC should also be considered just a sample of the laser market.

Why are there more Epilog or ULS enquires, because SMC is the place to get answers for these machines as *most* own and/or are very familiar with an Epilog or ULS.

Hilton-I don't believe there are any hidden messages as to why there are more Epilog enquires. IMHO, it's simple, more Epilog owners on board. More experience with the Epilog. At times I get frustrated as to why an Epilog owner would log onto SMC to get technical support for their Epilog laser when our technical support is regarded as the best in the industry. After hours & weekends excluded, I've come to the conclusion that people want to discuss their equipment with like users/owners, get involved with discussions and learn about their machines from their peers. Even though we provide the best support, documentation, a very complete website & owners manual which together will answer the majority of common questions, SMC members will still log on and ask their peers. SMC is a great place to be & I'll continue to be on board daily to help answer/guide our customers in the right direction.

Got a little off track there....Robert, you really can't go wrong with either laser system. As many has already suggested; what are your primary uses/applications? Other questions to ponder:

Compare system/standard features and determine which ones are most beneficial to your applications/use.
Machine warranty, what does it all cover & duration?
Are both machines compatibile with your PC (32bit & 64bit OS) & graphics software?
Replacement parts cost?
Factory and/or local technical/sales support?
Have you processed any specific files on both systems to compare cycle times, quality & thruput?

Have you ever think about how many customers there are for Trotec Lasers in this group? It is obvious, if you have such a lot of customers who own an Epilog, you will find more inquiries about Epilog machines, but startint with the price, Epilog has more advantages. Tech Support, Speed, Quality, and more.

Jani Pedersen
03-05-2010, 9:20 PM
When I bought my epilog I went to Identify who are agents for epilog, however I did not purchase from them, the machine I bought was second hand. Stephen Jater treated me as though I were buying it from him, he gave invaluable advice and help, he traced the machine for me and let me know that it had been well maintained etc. How many companies do you know that will do this? - knowing that the best they could hope for from me for the forseeable future were some substrate sales ? Not many, I venture.

One day, sorry, one EVENING I was attempting to engrave on a glass christmas tree bauble, stupidly using autofocus :D yes, it all moved and the plunger dropped to the table trapping everything. With my eyes out on stalks I ran to my pc and tried to establish how to deal with the now well and truly lopsided rail. I emailed Stephen Jater, but not expecting a reply until the next day I decided to give Epilog USA a ring.

I don't know who answered the call but he was a godsend to me. He explained briefly how to deal with the issue, took my details, emailed me a file showing how to 'fix my issue' and then phoned me back to check that I was okay doing it ! First class service.

I adore my machine. I am more than delighted with the help and service I get from Epilog UK ( Identify ) and Epilog USA. I know that when the time comes to upgrade to a higher wattage and larger bed, which I shall most certainly do, I shall have no second thoughts on which company to call on and purchase from.

I agree with earlier posts, perhaps the hiccups seen here, the questions asked here are because we know that there are a lot of people within the forum that can help us ( whether a true technical issue or a user problem ) because there ARE so many Epilog users here ?

A poll for brand would be really interesting to see.